5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 28 April 2012
This review is from: The Place I Left Behind (Audio CD)
This is a truly wonderful album rich in the best traditions of folk, alt country, Americana and blues. It is dark and melodic with a richness of sound enhanced by the haunting violin of Kendel Carson.
The Leopold Canal and the Ballad of Frank Dupree will become folk classics . There is some wonderful music coming out of Canada and this band is leading the way. Destined to be a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulful Alt-Country, 17 Jun. 2012
Justix (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Place I Left Behind (Audio CD)
This is the sound of great songwriting, great musicianship and a country music from a time past long ago. Folk music from the Appalachians - an area from which the superb Diana Jones writes and performs so well. I hear 50's country ballads too but whatever Ryan Boldt & Chris Mason have been listening to all these years, I dont think it's Canadian. It's a very melancholic melodic groove and very moving as Ryan Boldt's singing and guitar is so beautiful and accompanied magnificently by a great band including organ and fiddle.

This is the first album I've heard from TDDW when I caught them on Bob Harris' show and the track 'The Place I Left Behind' stood out as exceptional at the time. Having missed them when they came to the UK recently I hope very much they'll come back soon. If you like alt-country soul noir (if such a thing exists!) buy this, it is exceptional.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best band I had never heard of, 26 July 2012
F Arnold "sweet fa" (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Place I Left Behind (Audio CD)
This is beautiful music in the alt-country/Americana genre. Maybe we should now start a new genre called Canadiana, because some of the best music of the last few years is coming from there - Rose Cousins, Catherine McLellan, Joel Plaskett, Great Lake Swimmers, Luke Doucet and so on. And this band are right up there with the best. I had not heard of them until coming across via a lucky link while music-surfing on the net. The songs are wonderful, the lead singer and the lead instruments are tremendous. Guest musician Kendel Carson adds atmospheric and beautifully played fiddle. The title track is so good that it is tempting to keep it on repeat. And then you move on to other beautifully moving and in some cases emotionally draining songs - The Banks of the Leopold Canal (about Canadian soldiers in an almost forgotten battle in Belgium during the war), Mary's Gone (how sad is this song, and enhanced by mournful steel and exquisite lead guitar), Westside Street with its immensely catchy chorus etc etc). To paraphrase a blogger writing about The Deep Dark Woods, if you don't have this album your life is not as good as it could be. What higher praise is there. Essential stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy It, 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Place I Left Behind (Audio CD)
One of the best CD's I have bought and listened to in years. Its been in the van CD player on and off for months and I'm yet to tire of it. Highly recomended for those who do not like 'twangy' country/folk music. An album best suited to your darker days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely fabulous, 17 Dec. 2012
G. P. Baker (UK) - See all my reviews
Got the CD first and was so blown away I went to the trouble of sourcing this double vinyl copy from the States. It was more than worth it. The difference is incredible. It's such a good recording that you can almost touch the instruments. Sugar Hill have done an awesome job with this one. Just wish there were some sleeve notes.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Album of 2012, 22 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Place I Left Behind (MP3 Download)
Discovered via one of the many great, free Uncut CD's. I can't stop playing this album. Great tunes and great playing - especially the keyboards - and a very distinctive sound, beautifully recorded, with space and dynamics, definitely not an over-layered and compressed "digital" recording. I really can't compare this to anything else - I love this album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep dark woods, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Place I Left Behind (Audio CD)
Nice reflective folk rock, first track particularly good. Rest can seem a bit 'samey' after a few listens, but well worth the money. I will look out for more of their work.

The Place I Left Behind