5.0 out of 5 stars Two CDs of remixes and unreleased tracks, 2 May 2012
Androo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dancer In The Fire: A Paul Brady Anthology (Audio CD)
I've just seen Paul Brady perform on the tour for this new anthology and he was as amazing as he was the previous five times I saw him since the 'Back to the Centre' tour. So, yes, I'm a fan, but I won't buy any old compilation my favourite artists pump out in between 'proper' albums of new music.

Sure, I have heard most of these tracks before, but just like seeing Paul 'live', most of the tracks on this album are just a bit different than the originals, and a couple of them you won't have heard before at all.

You might have to listen to some tracks back-to-back to spot the differences, but the new vocal on Steel Claw is obviously different, and this earlier version of Crazy Dreams sounds completely different. Dancer in the Fire is 'from vinyl', which perhaps gives it a different feel, and Walk the White Line sounded meatier and more menacing to me. Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore is a remix from a recently found multi-track so sounds quite different.

Apart from the remixed tracks, there are previously unheard (by me anyway) ones like the Hank Williams song You Win Again, which suits PB's style perfectly, and the slightly raucous Duncan and Brady (which is not about Paul Brady...).

Anyway, it's two whole CDs of PB's favourites, many of which it turns out are my favourites too.

The nicely produced CD booklet has a paragraph about each track that explains why he chose it and often gives details about the remix.

I'm not usually a fan of 'best of' albums, but this one is worth having.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Dancer In The Fire: A Paul Brady Anthology (Audio CD)
Amazing album from Irelands own "Jackson Brown". Every single track on this is full of memories, vitality and warmth. I was at his concert last night and he was outstanding. Its the kind of event that made me want to contact every single person I know afterwards and share with them the wonder of a magical occasion like this. They dont come along very often.

I knew quite quickly the night was going to be special,I turned up without a ticket, got talking to an Irish/Polish & English couple in the queue who both wanted me to take spare tickets they happened to have. Paul Brady people, the best in the world.

The gig was superb, he did lots of the older stuff and it took me right back to the first time I heard Paul play, he delivers every song with the same zest like he wrote them yesterday. Not forgetting the superb choice of Eleanor McEvoy as his support, another legend.

He did some very old numbers as well from his folk past like the "jolly soldier" & some of his cracking ballads.

Such is his power and personality on stage its difficult to put into words unless one was there, he is getting better as he ages, a titan of the music scene and a songwriter par excellcence.

Paul is the chronicler of our times, without people like him we lose sight of who we are now, where we were and where we want to be.

My favourties "crazy dreams" & "nothing but the same old story", buy this album, you wont regret it, and Paul, keep on going, we need you now more than ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Collection for lovers of this fine Irish Singer, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dancer In The Fire: A Paul Brady Anthology (Audio CD)
If you don't know Paul Brady this is the collection for you. Grab it it while you can there is no better anthologly.

Glissando

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 5 April 2013
T. de Gautier (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dancer In The Fire: A Paul Brady Anthology (Audio CD)
Ive only just got into Paul Brady after hearing him on Dimming of the day with Bonnie Raitt. I do prefer him singing his folk songs but will really enjoy this, would love to see him live!

Dancer In The Fire: A Paul Brady Anthology
Dancer In The Fire: A Paul Brady Anthology by Paul Brady (Audio CD - 2012)