5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I don't write performance reviews at work . . . . .
Published on 21 Oct. 2012 by Emile Zola reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the appraisal
I almost worried about giving this a less than positive review.
I didn't particularly like the writing style and thought that it was quite unrealistic.
I would have preferred a bit more doubt and uncertainty.

Despite these criticisms I was intrigued enough to keep reading.
Published on 16 April 2013 by The Emperor

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I don't write performance reviews at work . . . . ., 21 Oct. 2012
Emile Zola reader "Gervaise" (Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Gwen Ferris is newly promoted at a major US pharmaceutical company and it's well deserved, she works hard and she needs the extra money. However, her happiness is short-lived, she has to give one of her team a `poor performance' evaluation for his annual review and she is not looking forward to it. Gwen knows that Stephen thinks that he should have got her job and he has never been short of speaking his mind.

From the very first page this is a tale of calculated terror and the action escalated right to the end of the book. I don't want to give any of the plot away so I will just say that the menace that begins on page one continues throughout. I never thought I'd ever want to kill someone but the sheer evil and unrelenting predatory actions unleashed by the malcontent in this book got me thinking.

I really liked the concept of the plot; under certain circumstances I'm now convinced that something so routine as a performance review could be a catalyst for some of the events described here. This book would make a first-rate film and I recommend it to anyone who likes a fast-paced thriller and doesn't mind violence on paper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Discovered something new, 29 Dec. 2012
Harry Job - See all my reviews
This review is from: Terminated (Kindle Edition)
I started to read this book as it was only 99p and it looked to me a good read for my first kindle book. My first thought was that it could bore me as this is the first book I have read in this genre however I was wrong. The characters are very interesting and relatable, the thing I liked about the characters/plot is that despite making one of the characters abnormal, Simon Wood kept it believable and didn't go overboard with it.

I would recommend this book for anybody from the age of 16; I am 16 but I don't think many people younger than that will enjoy this book as much but if you haven't read a book like this before then this is a great place to start and an absolute steal at 99p!

I can't wait to download Simon's other works and I hope there is more coming soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary and gripping!, 7 May 2013
A. Douglas (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book grabs you from the first page. Stephen or Steve (just to his friends) is middle aged, experienced and good at his job. It's his people skills that let him down. He has a quick temper, doesn't quite fit in at work and loves to point the finger. Gwen, is younger more dynamic and wants the whole workplace to get on. She implements changes that work. Gwen is promoted to manager and Steve is not. Although this happened a few months ago, his displeasure rears it's ugle head when his review with Gwen sees him needing to improve.

He hates Gwen for having his rightful job. He is the one holding the company together and he is not happy because Gwen got his job just for being female. Obviously this is not the case but Steve wants things to change. He threatens Gwen and scares her into giving (what he believes) is a good review. Steve is a clever man. His dad has never been proud of him and has always looked down on him. Steve wants to turn these tables.

I was gripped all through this book. You want to keep reading because everyone has been in that situation at work where you think your boss isn't treating you like you dererve and you want to do something about it. Most people do not do what Steve does!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 6 Sept. 2013
CathyR (Ilminster, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Terminated (Paperback)
Once again Simon Wood takes the reader on an exciting, tense and page turning journey. From terrorisation to murder, a psychopath with a deadly grudge becomes more and more out of control and seemingly unstoppable. Gwen, who unwittingly unleashed the monster inside Tarbell, finds her life going from bad to worse. She is also dealing with the repercussions of a trauma in her youth and as events become more nightmarish she resorts to desperate measures which leads to a thrilling conclusion. Unputdownable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a Good Guy to Have Working for You, 24 Jan. 2013
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first came across this author recently when I read his first novel, Accidents Waiting to Happen. That was an enjoyable book too, but quite a light read. Terminated is even better and, I would say, has a lot more depth.

Gwen is a supervisor at a pharmaceuticals company. She makes the mistake of giving a poor review about one of her subordinates, Stephen Tarbell. Unfortunately she has chosen the wrong guy as Tarbell proves to be psychotic and vindictive in the extreme. He makes it his mission in life, not just to get his own back, but to totally destroy Gwen's life. This is very well written, tense and absorbing, and the reader is really able to share Gwen's feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. There are also insights into Tarbell's background which, whilst one can never feel sympathy for him, help to explain why he is the way he is.

Gwen is made of stern stuff though and has no intention of rolling over and giving up. Once Tarbell has overstepped the mark once too often, she realises that the only person she can rely on is herself. Once this happens the story races towards an action packed and page turning climax. This is an impressive book which does not lag at any stage and I would recommend it as a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Fiction, 31 Mar. 2013
D. Elliott (Ulverston, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like other Simon Wood novels the basis of the plot of `Terminated' is fascinating and intriguing, it sets off at a cracking pace, and it keeps this up throughout to a gripping climax. These are essentials for a good thriller and any implausibility is well within the bounds of fiction. It is always clear who are the baddies and who are the goodies, yet author Simon Wood skilfully employs characters who are not themselves flawless to foster empathy and to build up credibility. The victim is Gwen who is threatened and attacked in her workplace, but happenings spill over into all parts of her life. The story is cleverly told from viewpoints of criminals and those attempting to protect Gwen with tension, twists, turns, and terror abounding until the denouement arrives fairly suddenly - but with all loose ends satisfactorily tied up - what more do thriller fiction readers require?

4.0 out of 5 stars Terminated my doubts, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Terminated (Kindle Edition)
I don't usually read crime/ thriller novels, because I find they cant lose my interest with a slower pace... but this book had a nice solid rhythm to it that kept you turning the page....
I would just have to say it would have been VERY interesting to see the writer force you to side with one of them by giving them equal footing.... but the writer immediately was on the side of the victim...(Which is fine and worked well) but I just think experimenting with the direction of the readers sympathy would have been interesting... because I wanted to feel sorry for Tarbell, I almost wanted to side with him. With the abuse, bullying and poor luck of a man down & out and fed up of being the underdog it could have worked had he not been so damn violent/psychotic, perhaps if he had only tried to sabotage her work and as a last resort scare her at home to get her stress levels pumping... it would have been far more rousing for me to have the slow, secretive and methodical attack than the random acts of violence... But I guess that would have changed the whole "no one believes it's him " and desperation for resolution dynamic (Sorry I am a creator I can't help it, just have to share my idea...)
BUT for the plot the book did follow I found it surprisingly interesting, and liked the little twist of having the old attacker involved with things... Well written, thoroughly enjoyable and expertly tied up.
Thanks for the good read, I hope everyone will enjoy it as much as I did.
Will be recommending the the "crime fiction fans" I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware performance reviews on deluded employees, 5 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Terminated (Kindle Edition)
Stephen Tarbell works for an American pharmaceutical company and he believes that he should have been the one promoted and not Gwen Farris. He is annoyed when she gives him a poor performance appraisal and sets about trying to get her to change it. Gwen is glad she got the promotion as she is the main breadwinner with her husband out if work and a 3 year old daughter to support. She is not looking forward to doing the appraisal on Stephen (only my friends call me Steve) and does not realise that this one act will lead to an onslaught of attacks to try and destroy her life. The appraisal pushes Stephen to take action and he threatens her to try and get the appraisal changed. The subsequent perceived deception finally pushes him to take vengeance on Gwen. He is devious and clever so that it starts to look as if it is Gwen who is the perpetrator and he is the victim. Gwen, having been the victim of an earlier assault 15 years ago, decides to fight back rather than see everything destroyed. When Stephen threatens her family she takes drastic action. This was another great book by Simon Wood. It is easy to follow and throws insight into the lives of the two main characters before their worlds collide. The only thing I felt was a little unrealistic was the comprehension and verbal skills of the three year old daughter - but I don't have children so maybe some are that we'll developed. The book shows how something as small as giving a bad appraisal could escalate into a nightmare if it pushes a deluded employee that one step too far. This was the second of Simon Wood's books that I have read and each has been a standalone story which makes it very easy to read them in any order - would recommend this author if you like Harlan Coben, Greg Hurwitz and similar.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bloody good story, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Terminated (Kindle Edition)
Not often I read a book that holds me all the way through. There're not many authors I look for that I KNOW will hold me. Lee Child is one (never going to win the Booker prize, but he's good). Now we have another British-born author who's at least as good as Lee - different style, but the same "grab you by the throat and drag you into the pages" outcome. This story is about an ordinary woman supervisor / manager who gives a poor appraisal to one of her staff. His personality doesn't permit criticism - especially from someone in the job that he thinks he's more suited to. The tempo escalates rapidly from insults to threats, assault, and murder. Innocent people are unwittingly involved - and suffer. Brilliant story - perhaps too true to life these days. I have only two moans - 1. last time I looked, sodium hydroxide was not table salt. Sodium chloride is a healthier thing to put on your chips (not enormously so, but better than caustic soda) and 2. given that Mr Wood is British, does he really have to bend to US misspellings like "burglarize"(!!!) and "gotten"? (I'll ignore the new word "demolishment"! oops I mentioned it) Overall though, a magnificent effort, and I'm already partway through Simon's next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars fast and exciting but......, 6 Jan. 2013
RT Twinem "freeloader" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Terminated (Kindle Edition)
I did enjoy very much reading this ebook on my kindle and if you are the type of reader who enjoys the style of Linwood Barclay or Harlan Coban then this tour de force is for you. The story revolves around Gwen Farris and a fellow employee Stephen Tarbell who are both seeking promotion, Farris is successful and Mr Tarbell turns somewhat nasty seeking revenge in what he sees as a cruel world...and that essentially sets the tone of the story! It's a fast and very enjoyable read with a story line, whilst a little improbable, nevertheless is a fun read. I did however find the ending rather predictable and I often wonder why books on the Kindle so often have grammatical errors and simple mistakes that with a little proof reading could be avoided. One such example is the following sentence "He left out the part out about" which should of course read "He left out the part about"....so come on authors and publishers get your act together if you are intending to publish books on the kindle...have them proof read, I'll do it for free if you send me a copy :)), these simple errors are very unprofessional and spoil what is otherwise an enjoyable read.

Terminated