Top critical review
2 people found this helpful
on 8 April 2013
For the record, I'm using version 2.2.0. I imagine that will make a difference in the not-too-distant future.
I love anything that allows me to 'read' more, so I was thrilled that yet another app had come along to aide me in my quest. I'm still happy, but at the moment NewsHog is pretty buggy, and is missing features that would make it much friendlier for us, the end-users.
* It's supposed to hook up with Facebook, but when you are taken to Facebook via the Facebook icon, Facebook gives a message saying that NewsHog is not configured correctly.
* You can choose from an extensive list of news topics, as well as add your own. You can not, however, sort the order in which the topics appear.
* I am getting numerous error messages informing me that NewsHog has stopped running. Since the messages reoccur at irregular intervals without any intervention, it restarts itself in an attempt to continue running as the background app it's meant to be.
* One of its intended functions is to set off an alarm at your chosen time and start reading you the news. When I set the original alarm nothing happened. I reset the alarm for half ten, and it's just read me a list of articles from the solar power channel. This could be down to the fact that...
* I had to manually sync the categories I chose. It was my understanding that it was meant to do that itself, but the original time I'd set came and went without any articles appearing. Because of this, I downloaded the articles myself and reset the alarm time. I'm curious to know whether or not it updates the articles for the next alarm. I have it set to update every 6 hours.
* I have no idea how it chooses the category from which it reads headlines when the alarm goes off. The category that was selected when I last left NewsHog to its own devices was 'pets cats', which is one of the three categories I added myself.
* It would be nice if we could move the news categories into an order that suits our own preferences.
* Because this is a background app, which basically means that it's a system programme, I shut down and re-started my Kindle.
These errors could be my fault, or, since my Kindle Fire is behaving badly, it could be the Kindle's fault. I will update this review as I know more. With luck, my replacement Fire will sort all the problems and I can wipe out everything I've just written, increase the stars and recommend NewsHog to all and sundry.
I'm sure the developers will be reading these reviews, so I encourage everyone using NewsHog to give your feedback rather than just giving it one star and deleting it.
I look forward to having it up and running smoothly. It's a great idea and I appreciate you writing the app enormously. I'm sure others using it do, as well.
<laughing> I just had two pop-up messages within a few seconds of each other telling me that NewsHog had stopped. It must have heard me talking about it. :-)