5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless...so far
I have only had this laptop a few weeks and must say I am delighted with it. I needed to replace my old one, if only because the N & M keys had worn away. Whilst having the same screen size, this one is much thinner and lighter but best of all it has nearly a 6-hour battery life, which means I do not have to trail a charger and mains lead wherever I go. Better spec...
Published on 2 July 2012 by Southcoastsoothsayer

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish product and appalling service
This notebook had a complete hard disk failure after three months. Having called them! I then had to drive an hour to the nearest repair centre to avoid adding 3-4 days onto the lost time, if they were to collect and deliver.
I collected 5 days later and it is still not working, due to an error at their repair centre.
They now advise me that they can't offer me...
Published on 25 Oct 2012 by Breezy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 10 July 2012
This review is from: Samsung Series 5 530U3B 13.3 inch Ultrabook (Intel Core i5 2467M 1.6GHz, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, 16GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) (Personal Computers)
As a result of price matching, VAT back and another high street promotion, I was fortunate to obtain this laptop recently, for about £520. I was looking for a laptop that was light (weight) reasonably quiet, for casual home based office tasks, web surfing and Skype. After using it for about a month, I am very happy with it's performance, for the price I paid.
It is very light, aided by the absence of a DVD player. I bought an external DVD for around £25 to upload legacy drivers.
It runs fairly cool. When using the laptop on a soft surface, I put it on something solid, such as a hardback notebook, for ventilating the underside, whether this is essential or not I don't know, but I do it out of habit. The fan comes on occasionally, but is hardly noticeable.
The keyboard and tracker pad are comfortable to use, which is fairly important to me. I have not experienced any problems with the trackerpad, as reported by other reviewers.
Battery life is around 4 to 5 hours, in any event the charger is small.
The display is fine, 13.3" is just about right, and I do like the matte, as opposed to gloss finish.
Wi-fi reception is good.
Operating performance speed is excellent, start up from cold is great at about 30 seconds, and resume in a few seconds is occasionally useful.
The only minor dissapointment is the quality if the internal microphone, which I found to be muffled, and not sufficiently sensetive, when using for Skype. This was totally solved by using an external camera / mic. (Logitech 270) which is excellent. Hence the 4 stars. The sound system is what I would expect from a laptop of this size, it is useable.
Overall, I would say this laptop is extremely good value, at price paid. If I was looking for machine for use when travelling I think I would need something more robust, but would expect to pay at least twice as much.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected more for the money. Terrible microphone., 13 Sep 2012
Out of the box this seemed fine. It was thin and light and with very nice screen. The applications ran fast.

HOWEVER, once I started using Skype a major limitation came to light. The terrible microphone which resulted in muffled sound. The streamed video was also choppy and poor quality. I suspect problems may lie with the Wifi. I tried one or two simple tweaks but no difference. I should also have looked at the other reviews about the microphone quality. For the price I expected much more.

I will be returning the item and save up for a MacBook. I tried one out for a few days and was smitten.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst laptop ever, 18 Jan 2014
My model is a slightly different version, with only the solid state drive - but the problems all seem to relate to the very poor standard of build of Samsung's laptops, and poor testing.

A few months after buying what was a top-of-the range and relatively expensive (£800+) Series 5, the letters started to wear off the keyboard. A year into using the machine, 8 have now disappeared completely.

A month after the warranty expired, the battery more or less ceased taking any charge, and could not be restored. A couple of months later, it failed altogether, and now the machine cannot even be disconnected for one second without it shutting down and having to be restarted. The power supply plug is ridiculously small, and very quickly became very loose in the socket - and hence now drops out of the machine all the time, causing it to shut down. The battery is not user-replaceable, and to get it done by an authorised Samsung repairer costs £130 and requires being without the machine for up to 5 working days. (In fact it is not too difficult to remove and replace the battery, which can be bought online for about £50, so long as a great deal of care is taken).

The connectivity of the machine is the worst I have had with any laptop for about 10 years. The wi-fi receiver is pathetic, and cannot pick up a signal in places that every other laptop that I am aware of is able to. I have to carry around a bag of adaptors and special leads, because the only cable connection choices on the machine are HDMI, USB and a single pin socket for sound. The sound quality of the built-in speakers is terrible.

The plastic edge of the casing is very fragile, and has chipped in a couple of places, leaving nasty sharp edges exactly where your hands rest or move near the keyboard.

All this within 18 months of buying the machine.

After this experience, I don't think I would ever buy a Samsung laptop again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Series 5 530U3B 13.3 inch Ultrabook, 31 July 2013
I have owned this PC for about a year now and use it mainly for business, logging into PC's at home from all over the world. Great little machine, good battery life, swift booting and sturdy construction. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 11 May 2012
Geoff Stokes "Geoff Stokes" (Warwickshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent laptop - when using it, you forget how small it is and take for granted how quick it is instantly. Good quality keyboard and screen.

Only slight problem is screen glare seems to be slightly more than with previous laptops I have had had, but this is not a major issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ultrabook, 17 Sep 2012
This a really nice ultrabook. It stood out when I was looking around as it had the right mix of features at an attractive price point.

The good:
- Very nice keyboard - one of the best I have used for feedback and accuracy
- Fast (although I have been using a Netbook, so I am used to a slow laptop)
- Quiet - can just about hear a fan on a quiet night when it is running hard
- Light weight - compares amazingly well with my old Netbook
- Screen - some reviews suggested it was not very good (small viewing angle and affected by sunlight), but I have no complaints so far - and run it on ~30% brightness almost all the time with no issues.

The bad:
- Power cable is a bit tight and my youngest managed to bend the pin after tripping on the cable - need to find a better place to store it whilst charging (he had tripped over/pulled on the cable on my other laptop many times with no damage - the cable on that one pulled out easily).
- The Card reader leaves the card sticking out (was used to the card being fully recessed in my Netbook - had expected the same and didn't think to check)
- Screen feels a little fragile when tilting all the way back (although I don't ever feel it will break)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ultrabook for the price, 30 Aug 2012
Sure you could look at the battery life, and maybe the performance as being fairly middling... but then again this costs almost half the price of some other ultrabooks on sale. I actually think that the machine itself is nice and sleek, and not dull like other online reviews have judged it as. It comes with software that extends the battery's lifetime by limiting it's charge (apparently leaving on charge at 100% causes battery heat which adversely affects its ability to hold its charge). This ultrabook comes with a large hdd as well, which can later be updated to an ssd which would improve its performance further. All in all I'm very happy with this, it's at a great price, has a great keyboard and touchpad and a good screen. I'd only pass on it if you really want to use it all day on its battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop, 24 Aug 2012
Parker Pen - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Samsung is a very reliable , trustworthy name for laptops and other household devices.

The first thing you notice about an Ultrabook is how appealing it is to look at when you open the box, taking in the slim compact shape, with it being advertised as "ultra light and ultra fast" it lives up to the reputation, trendy and cool are two good descriptive verbs!

The large screen is bright and the boot up time is fast.

Its casing is finished in a nice shade of silver and keys are black by way of contrast, it was on Amazon at a much more moderate price than higher end models, plus with a cashback incentive offer by the manufacturers at the time of purchase.

It doesn't take up too much room at all, to carry in your laptop bag, or rest on a lapdesk. It has a bright clear large screen at 13.3 inches perfect for viewing photos and videos in HD and fast document retrieval, fast at surfing and so fulfills all my needs.

Whether you purchased it for study, for business , for music , skype/messenger or general web browsing etc, it ticks all the boxes and is unisex in the silver colour, as well as being compact and attractive and easy to use, thin and nimble yet solidly built.

Set up was kids play ,so easy to configure and operate.

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 10 Aug 2014
Good laptop, but broken charger that came with it... Sent it back never got a new one in the post

1.0 out of 5 stars I wasted my money!!, 23 July 2013
I had this computer for 14 months. I use it mainly for research, programming (IT) and watch video.
This pc freezes all the time because it hasn't a SSD disk - the performance is very, very low. This is an "interl i5 - 2ND GENERATION" and I have another (brand) that is faster and is 1st generation.
After only 14 months I have to change the (internal) battery, and pay from my pocket because this rubbish has only 12 months (for batteries).