5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless...so far
Published 21 months ago by Southcoastsoothsayer

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish product and appalling service
This notebook had a complete hard disk failure after three months. Having called them! I then had to drive an hour to the nearest repair centre to avoid adding 3-4 days onto the lost time, if they were to collect and deliver.
I collected 5 days later and it is still not working, due to an error at their repair centre.
They now advise me that they can't offer me...
Published 17 months ago by Breezy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish product and appalling service, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: Samsung Series 5 530U3B 13.3 inch Ultrabook (Intel Core i5 2467M 1.6GHz, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, 16GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) (Personal Computers)
They now advise me that they can't offer me a fast track solution to solve their error and I must either drive again to the service centre (in working hours of course because I apparently dont need to earn a living) or wait up to 2 working days for collection and still wait for the standard 5-7 days after that, before it would be shipped back.
The customer service staff are excellent at trying to word things as 'you not accepting their solution' rather than ever admitting that they created the situation and that it might be reasonable for them to respond with a little greater urgency and prioritise my repair.
A constant requoting of their policy can wear surprisingly thin, as a form of entertainment.
From this experience I consider Samsung to be a very poor company to deal with and will certainly share this view with anyone I think might want to hear it (in fact until I have cooled down I will probably share it with a few people who don't want to hear it!). I certainly won't be buying anything else from them.
Awful, awful, awful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Casastrophic Hard Disk Failure on Samsung Series 5, 22 Oct 2012
M. Thompson - See all my reviews
After just over six weeks EVERYTHING on hard disk was lost. Told to take the laptop in for repair but then told it needed special "software". After two weeks got back computer but software needed a complete clean reload. Latest problem is wireless not working. . . No confidence left in this product and Samsung's customer service is appaling. If this had been sorted out expediently I would be forgiving but this treatement by Samsung has caused huge disruption and taken huge amount of our time to accommodate their failure. Really disappointing service so avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless...so far, 2 July 2012
I have only had this laptop a few weeks and must say I am delighted with it. I needed to replace my old one, if only because the N & M keys had worn away. Whilst having the same screen size, this one is much thinner and lighter but best of all it has nearly a 6-hour battery life, which means I do not have to trail a charger and mains lead wherever I go. Better spec hard-drive and memory than the old one, which one expects. I forget exactly the cost, but there was a VAT back offer so I think a little above 500 net. It also starts up much more quickly - the old one took literally minutes - this takes a few seconds - but may be due to Windows 7 as against Vista. Or maybe my son ([...])didn't download some of the crap on my old machine. Whatever, it seems to me very good value as opposed to others with a similar screen size nearly double the price. Recommended for slim, light, adequate performance, good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Laptop but has a couple of small failings, 10 Jun 2012
M. Mcallister (UK) - See all my reviews
just got this laptop a couple of days ago so this is only my initial thoughts
my old laptop is a little temperamental about recognizing the power supply

i do like it and so far intend to keep it, and at 600 its 200 cheaper than the price listed on "the register" where its a recommended choice
it is fast and looks good (mac clone) but still has as a couple of failings so i will only highlight these for your info to help make an informed choice.

firstly the ssd does not appear accessible on the BIOS so you ase unable to install an OS here and use the 500Gb for storage only
which would seem the sensible option, the SSD is only for quick access to regularly used files to improve performance . . . apparently
not the biggest issue i know, but you should be aware.
You would need a 7mm SSD to replace this as a standard 9.5mm drive will not fit if you plan to upgrade this yourself.

The memory is 1x4Gb dimm so the performance will be limited
Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

the graphics are better than my old dual core laptop but still unable to play a relatively low end game like "worms ultimate mayhem" and as yet i cant see how to increase the memory allocated to the integrated graphics as its not in the bios.

the main issue i currently have is the WiFi speed, the specs claim up to 300Mbps but on my dual channel router it only accesses the 2.GHz at 54Mbps, and does not access the 5GHz 300Mbps that is available. i have a 2nd router that is single channel and for some reason it can access this at 130Mbps so i changed my main box to 2.4GHz but will still only connect at 54Mbps. I phoned Samsung for assistance and after upgrading the firmware they did offer to replace the PC but i would appear a hardware limitation rather than a hardware fault. Ill update you if its user error but this is unlikely as my old laptop (when it charges) connects at 300Mbps every time.

Lastly there is a lot of bloatware on this and i may yet install a fresh copy of Win7 but hvent decided yet due to the time this would take.

I cant say don't buy one as i did, but be aware of what you are buying, its a good looking laptop with good performance just not ultra performance
but you get what you pay for and i cant afford 1000 for a real ultrabook but this is a close 2nd and will do for me.

i will change the wifi card if i can find a tear-down guide but so far the only you-tube video is for the access port on the back where the HDD and the DIMM are located
I assume you need access under the track pad for the wifi and BT cards and i dont want to damage the cover just yet by being the first to try this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice and beautifully sleak!!!, 25 Jun 2012
Mr. R. W. Adams "Salvation seeker" (Croydon, UK) - See all my reviews
I was very excited about delving into the literature as I contemplated purchasing a new computer. I had already decided that a laptop was the way to go, I'm often on the move and like to be able to go to the library with it as well as work from home in different parts of the house.

Suffice it to say, this is a really wonderful laptop. It's really attractive, very light and a really comfortable size. I find no problems resting my wrists either side of the trackpad (therefore negating the whole "bouncing cursor" issue) and the keys are nicely spaced and a good size that makes typing a breeze! I have no 'enter' key issues and the shift key is well placed for those of us that use it to 'Capitalise' as we're typing.

The computer was nicely priced at around 630.

I'm really pleased with the generally size. At 13.3" I thought it might be a little small so I tried out some at the local Curry-PC world and found that the screen is actaully a good size and that the whole thing fits perfectly into most situations; as soon as you start to scale up (to 15" and 17" models) the weight and especially the dimensions of the laptop put some restrictions on just how easy and comfortable it is to use - say on plane flights (economy class) and train journeys when you're sitting on a table shared with 3 other people.

It does indeed start up quickly, although it is more like 30 seconds. It of course isn't the fastest laptop in the world. I did personally consider the Series 7 models for this reason as well as the fact that it doesn't have a CD drive (easy and cheap to purchase external drives though).

Overall I'm absolutely delighted with this product taking into consideration the size, weight, design, the keypad and the trackpad (which is actually a very nice feature on this model) and the price!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Razor-Sharp Edges, 5 Oct 2012
I don't have much experience with laptops and certainly would be no good writing a review on its performance etc etc but two things have really stuck out for me.

1. I have two cuts from the laptop, one of which is looking like it will scar, and expect more if I keep using it. The edge of the laptop's screen back, near the hinge, is ridiculously sharp - I have even showed it to other people who agree because I thought I was being ridiculous! The first time I slid the laptop through my hands into its case and received a deep cut. On getting the laptop out to write this review it happened again, only through general handling!

2. The microphone really is dreadful, but others on here have commented on that already so I won't go into detail.

I'm giving two stars because it is quick and very light and I enjoy using it - the keyboard is also very easy to adapt to. I am not sure if the edges on my particular item are due to fluke or if it is a wider design fault but if I could I would definitely exchange this for another laptop on that basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 20 July 2012
S. E. Heath - See all my reviews
Have had this laptop for a couple of months now and like it a lot. I travel a lot with work and so weight was important to me. I expected the relatively short battery life may have been an issue but it hasn't so far and I really like the fact the power charger is so dinky. For the price there was nothing to touch it. It seems quite solidly built to me. The other big plus was the HDD size, the much smaller solid state drives on most alternatives would have meant I need to lug a portable HD too. It still boots from sleep in a second or two.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed....quite a lot in fact, 24 Oct 2012
brianb (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these Ultrabooks last week, but after having it for 24 hours I've unfortunately had to book its passage back to Amazon.

The first thing I noticed about it is how thin it is - it's sleek-looking, feels solid and is light for its size - it weighs in at 1.5kg (probably mainly due to it not having an optical drive), which is very handy for a laptop with a 13.3-inch screen. Speaking of the screen it's of the non-reflective variety, which is a pleasant change these days - I've never been a fan of the trend nowadays of having screens with a reflective covering. However, the vertical viewing angles on this screen are very poor - probably the worst I've seen, so a plus and a minus.

This laptop feels solid, rigid and there's no flex in it, presumably because the lid, screen bezel and wrist rest are made of aluminium - the bottom of the case is fibre-glass. I thought the choice of fibre-glass sounded odd but on reflection and having used the computer for 24 hours I can sort of understand it now - it's probably because of the amount of heat generated by this computer - fibre glass is probably better than plastic at resisting heat distortion. This is the hottest laptop I've ever used! It's so hot in fact that you simply can't use it on your lap for any more than about 15-20 minutes without it becoming uncomfortable. Feeling the underside it's literally hot enough to burn your hand. This concerned me because subjecting electronics to high temperatures shortens their lifespan, and as this is what I think an expensive laptop, I understandably wanted to keep it working for as long as possible. There is only one row of tiny ventilation slots on the underside of the case at the left and none anywhere else, so this probably contributes to the high temperatures. The keyboard also becomes noticeably hot during use as well. Fan noise though was almost inaudible.

On the subject of the keyboard, it's very nice and works well. No flex that I noticed and very comfortable to type on - as good as a Lenovo I think. And no in case you're wondering, it's not backlit.

The touchpad didn't win me over, and I think it's actually a bit too big, but this is only my personal taste. My old laptop (Lenovo) had a Synaptics touchpad which had an amazingly useful feature - circular scrolling - which allowed you to scroll down a page by drawing a clockwise circle on the touchpad, or scroll up with an anti-clockwise circle. This Samsung doesn't have that, which I find very annoying and is something I'd find very hard to get used to - it only has single or two-fingered dragging from the top of the touchpad to the bottom, and when you reach the bottom you have to start again at the top, which isn't as smooth or productive as circular scrolling, which you can do as long as you want. There are two separate buttons for left- and right-clicking below the pad - well done Samsung for not using a single bar (or none at all like some other manufacturers) - but these are a little thin and flimsy. The click is quite loud too, so be aware of this if you want to use it somewhere quiet.

The thing that really surprised me about this laptop was its lack of speed - it's actually quite slow for an Intel Core i5. A friend has the 14-inch version of this laptop which has exactly the same processor, exactly the same amount of RAM and an identical hard drive (Hitachi 500GB with integrated SanDisk 16GB SSD), and starting it from cold he's able to use Windows 7 in about 25 seconds. Mine takes more than twice that - 53 seconds (we timed it several times) - and to rub salt into the wound my old Levovo Ideapad S205 (AMD E350 processor and 250 quid cheaper) took a mere 61 seconds in comparison! As part of my reason for buying this laptop was the fast boot, I'm understandably a bit disappointed in not seeing it, and the performance just feels slow overall. It's set up in exactly the same way as my mate's laptop, but the performance is a world away and certainly not worth the asking price.

That aside there was unfortunately a problem with the Wi-Fi on my laptop - it seemed to be a little "deaf" and didn't receive reliably. Strong signals from my home network were very weak on this laptop, less than half the strength than on my 8-year old Dell laptop, with a few spots where there was only 1 bar of signal and many dropouts/stutters when watching BBC iPlayer or listening to online radio! There were also problems at my mate's place, where the connection dropped a few times over a couple of hours, which is something I never experienced with my Dell, tablet or old Lenovo. From my living room I can "see" 17 different wireless networks on my Dell - on this laptop I can see only 4, so there's definitely a sensitivity issue which seems to be a recurring problem with Samsung devices - I had a Samsung netbook a few years ago and two Galaxy Tabs which all had a similar problem.

I ordered this laptop in September and have been waiting for it to come back into stock at Amazon. I was really looking forward to getting it and really wanted to like it, but in all honesty it's been a bit of a disappointment in a few areas, one of which is so serious that keeping it wasn't an option.

There's no doubt that it IS a looker and WILL get glances when you're sitting in the coffee shop, but unfortunately it's a bit of a supermodel of laptops - the performance doesn't quite measure up to the looks. Maybe I should have said "bimbo" instead, lol!

The Wi-Fi issue makes this a definite no-go. With Wi-Fi being essential on a laptop nowadays, having one with unreliable Wi-Fi is a bit like having a car with unreliable windscreen wipers - it'll not stop you using it, but it WILL seriously limit it's usefulness.

If this wasn't bad enough, the high heat levels too are serious concerns for me, and whilst it's a personal thing the usability of the touchpad is an issue too as it makes it more difficult to use.

Some final observations: the front edge of the case on mine was razor sharp and I almost sliced my wrist open on it when using the touchpad, so BE CAREFUL!

The photos of the machine on Amazon's website aren't quite the same as what I received. The website shows indicators for caps, scroll and number lock just above the Esc key, but these weren't on the laptop I received, which again was a tiny disappointment.

I do hate the trend now which most manufacturers are following of not having a status LED even for Caps Lock. Worse still are no status LEDs for hard drive activity, power, charging, Wi-Fi etc. and to their credit, Samsung seem to be one of the few manufacturers who still include some status LEDs on their laptops. LEDs only cost a few pence so there's absolutely no excuse for not including such useful things on laptops - the lack of them on other brands is one of the reasons I decided to try Samsung this time. Why should I have to guess if the hard drive is reading data or if the machine has locked up?

Anyway, I hope my comments help someone - writing this has made me realise how disappointed I actually am with this laptop.

I do hope your experiences are better :-) Maybe I got a "bad 'un".

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice thin light laptop, 11 July 2012
Hello
Just got this for my mum and dad and its really nice, really thin, nice looking laptop. Pretty fast too, once the SSD part of the hard drive has been configured (which takes about 7mins). Boot time is unbelievable.
Would definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 10 July 2012
As a result of price matching, VAT back and another high street promotion, I was fortunate to obtain this laptop recently, for about 520. I was looking for a laptop that was light (weight) reasonably quiet, for casual home based office tasks, web surfing and Skype. After using it for about a month, I am very happy with it's performance, for the price I paid.
It is very light, aided by the absence of a DVD player. I bought an external DVD for around 25 to upload legacy drivers.
It runs fairly cool. When using the laptop on a soft surface, I put it on something solid, such as a hardback notebook, for ventilating the underside, whether this is essential or not I don't know, but I do it out of habit. The fan comes on occasionally, but is hardly noticeable.
The keyboard and tracker pad are comfortable to use, which is fairly important to me. I have not experienced any problems with the trackerpad, as reported by other reviewers.
Battery life is around 4 to 5 hours, in any event the charger is small.
The display is fine, 13.3" is just about right, and I do like the matte, as opposed to gloss finish.
Wi-fi reception is good.
Operating performance speed is excellent, start up from cold is great at about 30 seconds, and resume in a few seconds is occasionally useful.
The only minor dissapointment is the quality if the internal microphone, which I found to be muffled, and not sufficiently sensetive, when using for Skype. This was totally solved by using an external camera / mic. (Logitech 270) which is excellent. Hence the 4 stars. The sound system is what I would expect from a laptop of this size, it is useable.
Overall, I would say this laptop is extremely good value, at price paid. If I was looking for machine for use when travelling I think I would need something more robust, but would expect to pay at least twice as much.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›