TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 July 2012
This IDE-SATA adapter works but you have a 50/50 chance to get the connection right the first time. The reason is that no instruction is enclosed. Being a bi-directional card, you have two SATA ports - one for connecting to SATA port on motherboard, and the other for connecting SATA port on a drive (such as HDD or optical drive). So which is which? Even the label on the printed circuit board (PCB) doesn't help; I spotted one labelled IDE-SATA, so do you interpret this as IDE drive to SATA motherboard, or the other way round?

Just went ahead for the 50/50 chance; and I got it wrong. Tried again with the other SATA connection, and it worked. Why leave things to a guesswork when a small piece of paper with a diagram could dispel the trepidation of getting the connection wrong? Hence why I rate with one less star!

For the benefit of those who wish to use this adapter, the SATA connection in the middle of the board goes to a SATA located on the motherboard (hence, for IDE drive to SATA motherboard). That leaves the SATA connector on the edge of the card, and this goes to a SATA drive (hence, for SATA drive to IDE motherboard).

Good price, but the packaging could be better to protect the PCB as an ordinary jiffy bag was used. The SATA cable provided could, for some installations, be on a very short side but fortunately just okay for my connection.

Note: If you get this card, check that you have two spare 4-pin Molex power supply connectors. Else, you need to order a power supply splitter like 3 Way 4 pin PSU Power Splitter Cable LP4 Molex 1 to 3 Lead, because you need one for the card and another if using with an IDE drive. If using with as SATA drive and you don't already have a spare SATA power connector, you also need a Molex to SATA power adapter such as this.
on 28 May 2013
This is a great board and does exactly as described. Used to connect an ATA drive to a SATA only mobo. I will echo what other reviewers have mentioned though; when connecting an ATA drive to SATA mobo :

1) ensure that both the 4 pin molex connector on the board is powered AND that the drive itself is powered.

2) for ATA to SATA I used the SATA connector adjacent to the board's molex connector.

3) The ATA drive would only be recognised once the drive's "MASTER" jumper had been selected.

4) The board is about 50mm deep so bear this in mind as I had to make some slight mods to my tower to ensure the drive fitted in with the board attached.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 December 2013
The main problem with this card is that it arrives with no instructions. Without these it's easy to see how so many people become frustrated and why so many cards might be discarded as faulty.

Using some of the comments already posted and some trial and error mine is now working perfectly giving an old IDE DVD writer a new lease of life in my SATA equipped computer. The card is ridiculously cheap and can save the cost of a new drive and also the waste of an old one, so good news all round.

Here are my tips for success, with acknowledgements to those who already contributed their good advice. Note these comments are particularly applicable to fitting an old IDE device to a SATA machine. The card also has other uses.

1. Check your power connections. This card needs a Molex connector, as will your old IDE drive. I needed to buy a SATA to twin Molex power cable which cost me less than two pounds from a well-known auction site. Check what you need for your machine.

2. The supplied SATA data cable is quite short. It would just about do the job in my machine, but I had a longer spare cable which was a more comfortable fit.

3. The card has two SATA connectors. To connect an old IDE drive, you need to connect the middle SATA connector on the board to the PC mother board. (I think the other SATA connection is used to connect a SATA drive to an IDE mother board, but I haven't tried this.)

4. Check the settings on your drive to ensure that your drive is set to MASTER. Mine had previously been set to cable select, so you might need to change the jumpers on the back of the drive near the IDE connector.

5. Connect one Molex power connector to the board (via the short power cable provided) and another to the drive.

6. With the PC switched back on, I had the comfort on seeing the disk tray open and close, but the device didn't appear in My Computer. At first I thought it wasn't working. If this happens to you, check that you can see the drive in Device Management.

7. If you can see it, then the problem is a windows issue, not a problem with the card. Don't panic. The solution is easy, but will depend on your version of windows, so a little bit of googling will soon reveal all.

8. In my case it required a minor tweak to the registry, a reboot and the DVD-R popped into My Computer.

It's such a shame that the board doesn't come with any information, so I hope the above the above will help you get up and running without too much trouble.
on 11 September 2014
I've known these to work sometimes, but I had problems with one I bought. Not sure if the PSU or drives were incompatible in my system, but they work fine without using this. I'd suggest trying an IDE controller card for modern motherboards rather than use one of these converters as they seem only useful for occasional use extracting data from old drives. Seller tried to be helpful, but provided info about a slightly different model, so perhaps some work and some don't (mine had a red pcb rather than the black pictured).
on 12 December 2014
Bought two of these, installed them both, both didn't work. Reversed the leads from ide > sata to sata > ide and they still didn't work. No instructions (but its not rocket science) and very faint markings on both sides to tell you which connector to use for which configuration. Tried both on two different ide hdd and no joy. At this price it is not worth sending back. Also, I can probably use the very short sata cables sometime. Looking at them, there is grey stuff (flux residue?) all over the solder joints.
on 7 August 2014
Didn't work. tried with a different SATA cable. Still nothing. Recognised the device as a USB and failed to install the "USB driver". This shouldn't require a driver so it's useless. Now I just have yet another spare SATA cable. Great
on 17 March 2014
I had a bit of trouble getting this working, due to the lack of instructions, and also because initially I didn't have the molex power connectors, (I borrowed some molex connectors out of a spare computer). At first I thought this isn't working because when I powered it up the red LED didn't come on (it only comes on when the HD is working), also because I read the product description again and noticed it says max HD capacity 160GB, and I had connected a 500GB drive, (I almost gave up, thinking it was defective). But to my surprise the drive appeared in 'my computer' and everything started working perfectly. By the way I was using this with a 'ICY BOX', so as an external drive connected to my computer via USB.
on 1 March 2016
If I could give the two of these I bought NO stars, I would have. I had it working once (in over 100 solid hours of trying), but then it fizzled out and I needed to re-flash the bios.
It was only 4 quid for the 2 and it was very cheap, but I could have saved myself a lot of time had I just have thrown the £4 in the dustbin.
on 20 January 2015
the device comes with no instruction leaflet. there are 2 sata connectors, 1 for IDE to SATA and the other for SATA to IDE - but its difficult to determine which one is required on first glance. Having connected the IDE drive via this device, and having tried every combination of SATA connectors and jumper settings on the drive, I cannot get the adaptor to work. On the printed circuit board it says 'device=slave' but i found this dubious as SATA does not recognise slave settings, only masters. However, as previously stated, whatever combination I use, the drive is not detected. The LED illuminates on the board, but thats as far as it goes. Hence my one star scoring.
on 29 December 2015
Very cheap and works perfectly so what's not to like. Only minor issue is, as has been mentioned about these units, lack of instructions. There are two possible ways to connect the data lead. One for use as a converter for a eg IDE drive on a Sata motherboard and one for a Sata drive on a IDE equipped motherboard. Connectors are actually marked in very small screen print but it still isn't crystal clear which to connect to.
Only advice is to connect the units up and see if they work. If not just change the connector.