Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] (Nintendo 3DS)
Price:£26.20+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 20 July 2012
To be entirely honest with you, I'm only about five or six hours into this game, but - when I noticed that there were no reviews for this, I decided to write one.
Please bear in mind that I obviously haven't finished the game, and I'm only writing to give potential buyers a vague idea of what to expect - I hope to update this review upon my completion of the game.

Overview:
The basic principle is the same as in Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 - travelling between different worlds and unlocking key holes. Sora and Riku are taking a test to become keyblade masters, and must unlock the keyholes for 'sleeping worlds' in order to pass.

Graphics:
On the whole, the graphics are great. The opening video - as usual - is fantastic, and the 3D works well. The in-game graphics are about the same as those in Kingdom Hearts 2, but a little more pixellated because, obviously, it's on a smaller screen. I tend to find that there is some slight ghosting with the 3D while I'm playing, but nothing really off-putting and it isn't constant.
The characters look detailed and expressive.

Game play:
The game makes use of all the buttons on the 3DS. I found it a little tricky to remember all the different buttons, but I think I've got them nailed now.
Fighting has been improved - the MP bar has been removed and, instead, each power has to 're-load' before it can be used again. This means you don't have to repeatedly use Ether in order to use magic attacks or cure yourself, so I like this change.
Also, you are able to jump onto walls or spin around lampposts for better fighting combos or just for effect. It's a fairly easy technique to use, and it looks very cool.
I did experience some lagging within the game at one point - it lasted for about a minute or two but then went away. I didn't have issues with lagging before or after that, so I don't think it's something to worry about.

Dream Eaters:
Instead of Donald and Goofy fighting with you, you have dream eaters. The easiest way to describe the Dream Eater system is it's like a cross over between Pokemon and Nintendogs+Cats. There are different types of Dream Eaters to obtain - you can find 'recipes' for them, or you can just combine a bunch of materials and see what comes out. Apparently, you're also able to breed them (but I haven't got far enough to comment on this).
To make your Dream Eaters more effective in battle, you can play games with them and pet them. The games you play with your Dream Eaters are fun little mini-games that I actually enjoy playing.

The 'Drop' System:
Throughout the game, you alternate between playing as Sora and Riku. I think this is an interesting feature that allows you to have different experiences for each world. At first, it seems like a bit of a pain. However, I've gotten used to switching between the two characters, and now I like alternating between the two of them. It also adds an element of strategy into the game.
Basically, you have a meter that goes down. When you reach the bottom of the meter, you switch characters. You don't have to wait for the meter to deplete, though. There is an option to just 'drop' anyway.
If you're in the middle of a boss fight and this happens, then it can be pretty irritating, because - when you return - your character's health remains the same (ie. if it was nearly empty when you switched characters, it will be nearly empty when you switch back), but the boss' health bar returns to full, no matter how much damage you've dealt.

As I said, I hope to add more detail and information to this review once I have completed the game. At the moment, this is just a review because there are no others.
Feel free to ask questions in the comments, and I'll do my best to answer them for you. :)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 August 2012
The latest game in the long running Kingdom Hearts Series lands on the 3ds with Dream Drop Distance. After years of fans demanding a true sequel this title aims to get the plot back on track for a true numbered sequel. The last few spin off games have been pointing towards this game and aims to answer a few questions.

This outing is by far the strongest entry in many years and utilises the technology of the 3ds well. The graphics are superb, vibrant and Clear. The Storyline is sometimes drawn out and borderline convoluted but does the job. The gameplay i also solid with the main mechanic being the new 'Drop' guage swapping between Sora And Riku. This guage counts down and enters 'bonus mode' before forcing you to swap to the other character. using Items delays the gauge dropping and swapping. This system does seem redundent when it drops you during a boss fight as you can instantly swap straight back but the boss regains all it's health back so keeping an eye on the meter is key. Cameo's from the cast of Square-enix's 'The World Ends With You' was also very welcome.

It's one of the finest 3DS games on the market and comes highly recommended
on 22 July 2012
Having only played previous installments of the series on the Nintendo DS I decided to pre order Dream Drop Distance and whilst I'm only six hours into the game, so far for me it is the single best game currently available for the Nintendo 3ds!

Let me explain why.....

When you switch the game on you're greeted by the sublime intro video to this game featuring mickey, Donald, sora and other favourite characters, it makes great use of the systems 3d and the soundtrack that accompanies is beautiful and catchy( I find myself humming it now! Lol).

I've seen the PS2 versions of KH and I personally think that cut-scenes and graphics are slightly better rendered here on the 3DS and the 3D adds just the right amount of depth in this game especially when playing (spoiler alert) the dive game. Where controls are concerned they are easy to use especially in combat, and the camera can be best controlled I Find using the circle pad pro however that is just my preference.

The fun new addition of a pokemon/nintendogs feature where you can build dream eaters that can help you in combat is surprisingly addictive, as a nearly 30 year old guy I find it strange to admit I like it. Without giving any spoilers away for anyone fans or not, this game is just wonderful, it's fun, well paced gameplay makes it easily the finest on the system to date likewise with the graphics.

BRING ON KINGDOM HEARTS 3!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love the Kingdom Heart series, two of my favorite things stuck into one game, Final Fantasy and Disney. However the series is hardly fan friendly as the games span over multiple consoles so not everyone can keep up with the complete story line. I remember one of my friends complained about the start of KH2 on the PlayStation, to him and I assure you others the start made no sense unless you happen to have played Chain of Memory on the Gameboy. This is frustrating to any fan who doesn't own all consoles, now the KH games span across the PS2, Gameboy advance, PSP, DS and 3DS. The HD collection coming out in September will give PS3 owners a chance to play the original and the remake of Chain of Memory which was release on the PS2 in Japan but not here, I also believe there is the story cut scenes remade in HD of 358 Days but not the game itself.

Kingdom Hearts DDD or previously titled Kingdom Hearts 3D does a great job explaining everything that has happened so far with short cut scenes and texted Chronicle section throughout the game. The story is set after KH2 and is supposed to link in the next numbered game which has been announced on the Xbox One and PS4.

Graphics are very good for a handheld game, on a par with Birth by Sleep on the PSP, maybe even slightly better, the 3D looks pretty good too but if you play like me you would only use it to see what it looks like then revert back to 2D as keeping your eyes focused while fighting in 3D can be a little tricky.

In the game you take control of both Riku and Sora who undergo the Mark of Mastery exam in order to become full-fledged Keyblade Masters after the destruction of Ansem and Xemns. Both characters are separated into a dream world however these worlds where once destroyed by the heartless and now have been restored in a state of deep sleep. When Riku and Sora enter these worlds they cannot see each other yet somehow still manage to have an effect on each other's worlds with their actions. Like previous games of the series you will travel to Disney worlds, Tron from KH2 is back but has updated itself to the latest film Legacy; Pinocchio is also back from KH1 however not confined to Monstro himself. New Worlds include the 3 Musketeers, The Hunchback of Notre Dame & Fantasia. Other Square-Enix worlds return including Radiant Garden, Traverse Town and another I won't mention.
As someone who has played all the games (Apart from Re Coded) I can appreciate the little hints and follow on stories from previous games which I feel maybe lost on those who are new to the series.

Combat is taken from Birth by Sleep and why not as it's probably the strongest battle system out of the lot. This being said you are also accompanied by up to 3 Dream Eaters as companions, like Donald and Goofy these fight by your side but you do not control them. You start with one but can gain other throughout the game through recipes. These friendly dream eaters have mini games you can play to level them up, feed them and pet them, it was very Nintendogs for me and I never really bothered with it. I kept one Dream Eater with me and never bothered collecting anymore. It was an added extra I didn't need. Maybe why I found the end so hard!
Also added in each world was a command that came up on the touch pad, once swipe down with your finger (because who else keeps the stylist in their hand) and you enter a short mini game that helps you in combat, this at times was quite tricky to move your finger/thumb from the analogue stick or buttons quickly enough to catch but was a nice addition none the less.
I love the BBS combat system however my only flaw with it and every Kingdom Heart game is healing. Potions aside, spells like Cure, Cura etc take some time to perform, if you haven't selected it as a shortcut you have to find it with the D-Pad and then use it, if you are hit while casting you lose that turn and have to wait while the bar refills. This really becomes an issue with harder boss fights who don't give you time to mess around trying to find a cure spell and use it before being hit and can really become a major frustration.
This is my only major issue with the game and although it does add to the challenge of timing everything I don't feel this is the best way to make the game harder.
The other issue I had was part of the games story which had the characters falling asleep. This is how you switch between characters, Sora or Riku will fall asleep after a certain amount of game time and then you will resume where the other character left off, you can delay the time before hand and most of the time it isn't as bad as you get a heads up before the switch. The time where this becomes an issue is during boss battles, because if you haven't beaten that boss before the timer has run out when you resume playing said character you have to start all over again!

The game really does focus on Riku more than Sora which is a little strange as Sora has been in the spotlight in most of the KH games. Riku has the harder and better boss battles and is actually more fun to play. I find this very strange if they will be using Sora as the star in KH3.

Music is what you expect from Disney and Square-Enix, beautiful with familiar sounds, the difficulty is a challenge throughout but more so near the end. There is a hidden boss which again is an extra challenge is there if you want it.

All in all a welcome addition to the series with some minor flaws.
on 27 July 2012
This review is written at around halfway through the game, so I don't know how it ends, so this review may not be the best for you. After many spin off titles, which most were great (except for coded on ds in my opinion which was okay) adding to the confusion of the kingdom hearts story, along with going backwards in the story, I was very pleased to see Dream Drop Distance being in the future after kingdom hearts 2. after getting it on the release day, I found some time to play it and once again they have done a great little opening to the game, slightly different to the others but still lovely to watch. the gameplay feels a lot faster to that of the original games, going in the same direction of Birth by sleep on the psp, using the deck command, the combat is fast and mostly fluid, along with the new reality shift making it go even faster, sometimes though I activate it by accident, when I roll into walls by mistake! graphics wise it is one of the best 3ds titles at the moment, and I don't beleive I have experienced many slow downs. this time around instead of fighting by yourself in the newer titles or with Donald and Goofy with the ps2 titles, you have spirits now which you can create and swap out whenever you want too, also you can change their colour and play mini games with them to boost their affinity, which was a nice bit of customisation there; they also help with the fact when you gain dp points by killing enemies and using them in the spirits ability link you can unlock abilities and added effects for battle when you play as Sora or Riku. which leads me to my next point which I think makes this game so good, is the ability to play as Sora and Riku, alternatively due to the drop system where you swap characters when the gauge runs out, although you can 'drop' at any time. both characters having a different time in each world they visit, also adding to the variety of combat, with their differing styles and the worlds themselves. a few concerns with the game however, that are minor would be that the combat can become a bit tedious at times, with the sheer amount of enemies that appear in certain locations, also another concern is the 'drop' system in which you can be dropped when in a boss fight! atleast 2-3 times now I have had a boss to minumum health but have been dropped before I can finish it off and when I return to fight him/her I have to start over again! however I can overlook this as it is a lovely game to play and because I finally have a kingdom hearts game where I can play as Riku for a whole game!! Overall I didn't want to spoil anything story wise, mostly because I don't know all of the story myself yet, but this is a fresh kingdom hearts game, which although nothing is revolutionary it has a sped up combat system and a new character in Riku to play as, along with new unseen worlds in a kingdom hearts game. a 5/5 from me!
on 21 August 2012
I'm only sixteen years old, but I have been a fan of the Kingdom Hearts series since the first game came out back in 2002 and I have to say, this game has certainly lived up to my expectations, if not exceeded them. If you haven't played a Kingdom Hearts game before, then you need to buy yourself the games and get to know the series. Even if you don't decide to buy the previous games, KH:DDD offers a very handy Chronicle section which summarises the story so far, starting with Birth By Sleep and ending with RE:Coded.

The storyline of DDD is, of course, absolutely mesmerising. Sora and Riku must undertake the "Mark of Mastery Exam" to become true Keyblade Masters so they can combat the ever nearing threat. They must travel into the Realm of Sleep and unlock 7 Keyholes to awaken 7 different worlds out of their "sleep". Characters from different Disney films make their appearance; The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tron: Legacy, Pinocchio and the well loved Disney version of the Three Musketeers. The cast of The World Ends With You also make a dazzling appearance in Traverse Town, making it the first time that I have ever wanted to revisit that world. Admittedly, I would have liked the game to have been a little bit longer. I finished it in just under 24 hours of game time and was left hungry for more. I have to say though; playing as Riku really made this game that bit more interesting. It was wonderful to finally get inside his head and play as his character. Not to mention he's a heck of a lot stronger than Sora as he reaches his higher levels. But that's just me...

The graphics were stunning. After playing 358/2 Days, I was almost worried that the graphics would be the same; pixilated and disappointing, but I was surprised. The graphics were akin to the earlier games on the PS2- sharp, defined and pretty much perfect. And the 3D? Well, it was awesome. The gameplay itself was epic. There are no other words for it. It holds some of the elements from the earlier games on the PS2 and some of the newer ones like BBS and Coded, with a Command Deck which you can customise yourself. Having the Dream Eaters was also a nice touch. They're pretty much filling Donald and Goofy's position and you can only have 3 in your party at a time, but they have much cooler advantages: you can use the Ability Link to gain new abilities using Link Points. Sometimes these will grant you brand new commands or abilities which will help you in the heat of combat.

There's this ultra cool new function the KH team thought of called Flowmotion. It allows you to kick off walls, zoom around the place, skid along poles and even attack enemy Nightmares. It can be used to reach certain areas normally out of your reach and also to get around obstacles which would otherwise leave you stuck. It's an awesome function which really adds some cool elements to the game.

The soundtrack for the game was absolutely amazing. I'm seriously considering seeing if I can buy the soundtrack somewhere online because I loved it so much. Seriously, I personally think it was one of the best soundtrack's the series has ever produced. Traverse Town has my favourite tracks; I'll run around in the Districts for hours, just listening to the music. The best parts are definitely when the remixes from The World Ends With You crop up during the cutscenes.

The only thing that ticked me off about this game was the secret boss. For those who have played the game will understand me when I say: Damn. It took me a good 10 attempts with Sora and a heck of a lot of grinding to increase my level to 90+, but the Keyblade you get from him is well worth it.

I recommend this game to anybody who enjoys a bit of action, a heart-warming storyline, loveable characters, awesome graphics and loves a bit of Disney. The build up for this game has been phenomenal, but it's well worth the wait. This game has it all and it doesn't disappoint. Seriously; give it a chance. It may just surprise you, too!

10/10!
on 25 July 2012
As I'm a KH fan I had been looking forward to this game's release since the day it was announced. This is a great game and I would recommend it to anyone who's a KH fan.
The game arrived on 21st July although it should have come the day before but that's not a big deal. The game carries on from KH coded and its about Sora and Riku's mark of mastery exam. I think all the KH fans know this. ;)

Graphics: I found the graphics better than the previous games to be honest. The openning scene is always awesome as usual with extra detail. Overall it's excellent! :D

The gameplay is pretty good once you get the hang of the controls and how to adjust the camera. :)
But it's not as easy as it looks, it can make you very irritated especially when the Drop gauge goes to 0 and you have to switch between Sora and Riku.
For example, if you were fighting a boss and you almost killed it and then your Drop gauge went down, you would have to restart the boss fight again. You can prevent this by having the 'Drop-Me-Not' thing in your command. This is the only thing that I don't like in this game :(

Overall 5 stars! It's a great game! :D Hope this helps. :)
on 26 April 2013
Kingdom Hearts is my favourite video game series based on Kingdom Hearts I & II but I had previously avoided the spin off games, unsure whether they would live up to the quality of the main games. After playing this game, I can say it definitely stands up as a stellar entry in the series. It is just like playing the console games on your 3DS & I personally feel the graphics actually look better than the PS2 games.

The overarching storyline may be a tad confusing for newcomers (heck, even I get confused quite a bit!) but just strap yourself in for an exciting albeit slightly cheesy ride. As always, exploring the different Disney worlds is great fun even if you haven't seen the film in question. This game also includes characters from The World Ends With You which made me incredibly happy. As always, there is a secret ending after the credits & this time I felt it was definitely worth obtaining as it is an incredibly exciting reveal!

On the whole, I would say this is one of the best 3DS games available & would recommend it to anyone who has played a Kingdom Hearts title before as well as any newcomers.
on 11 September 2013
STORY 3/5

Excuses, filler franchise and milking the series are all accusations that Square Enix has
to deal with when fans around the world await an upcoming chapter in this now very confusing universe of Kingdom Hearts.

But dare I say that there is a good reason to why we remain fans and refuse to abandone ships?
why yes I do, because there is and Dream Drop Distance, or as I will refer this title to during this review, "3D"
is a great addition to the a series that's been in a sequential coma since 2005.
Why you may ask? and respectively so, because with an amasssing b-sided story game library of 5 titles spanning across 4 platforms
Developer Square Enix, will have to put out a pretty damn good reason for fans as for why we should continue paying attention
to an otherwise shelfed story.

For those who doesn't know, the story of 3D is the most recent amplification to the series and focuses on Riku and Sora's rite of passage as keyblade wielders, known as the "Mark of Mastery exam" think, a drivers license for Keyblade Wielders.

For this Exam, Riku and Sora has to "Drop" into worlds that are stuck in a coma like state referred to as "dreaming worlds"
to simplify (which will be sorely needed to explain the idea)
Worlds are now "sleeping" after they have been rectified from the Darkness you know as "Heartless" and cannot function before a keyblade wielder releases them from their sleep, which is done in a very old fashioned way that you will recognize from previous games where the keyblade shoots a beam that unlocks a keyhole, hence "waking the world"

On top of this, Sora and Riku cannot work together since they are caught in different dimensions of the worlds.
You know how you sometimes have the same dream twice? well imagine that, but as if each time you had that dream, it made a new world.

your Drop function works in a way so that each time a fixed amount of time has passed, you will be forced to switch character, effectively switching between characters. I will go on to explain the ups and downs of this function later on.
Because of this, you will have to finish each world twice, which works well for some, and others not so much.
In Pinnochio's world for instance, Riku is inside of Monstro which you will recognize from the very first game, whereas Sora is put in the middle of the Carneval that you may recognize from the movie it self.

Throughout each world you will most likely be able to notice that Sora seems to get the main part of the story, and Riku deals with the cleanup.
However this pattern changes as you progress towards the end, and takes on a different approach that I naturally will avoid spoiling here.

Fun fact: Sora and Riku are represented as their younger selfs as they looked in the first game, due to the fact that they are reflected in such a manner because of the dream like state of the worlds they visit, you can see how they are in their late teen years during the first few cutscenes because they are in the "real dimension" but it is never actually explained.

The story it self is lukewarm and melancholic at times as usual, but avoids the "been there, done that" feel that you may have felt during 358/2 days in case you played through that.
And revisiting old friends, but from a memory wiped perspective gives a fresh cut kind of feel to the story, but as a result the newer worlds feels pointless and unexplained to a certain degree.
I was often wondering why I had to visit a world that Neither Sora, Nor Riku had ever visited.
It just didn't make sense to me. apart from the fact that they had a mission, it just raised the quesiton "Well in that case, who freed the world from Darkness to begin with?" anyway, that may seem like nitpicking, and really... If you play Kingdom Hearts religiously like I do, you shouldn't question the obscure scnearios at times like that.

To wrap up the Story part of the review, I want to answer the question "Is this a worthy chapter in the series?"
And I have to say yes.
There will most definitely be more questions than answers, but ultimately it turns out to work in favor of us fans and unlike many other series today, the series dares to go to corners of the story that you need experience with to know about, which I only have respect for.
Does it render the game impossible for newcomers? of course not, but it doesn't make much sense to start here, I can say that much.

GAMEPLAY AND AESTHETICS 4.5/5

Considering we're on the 3DS here, the game looks gorgeous, and only suffers from minor drawbacks like dropping framerates and minor texture popup
I'd say it could rival that of a Playstation Vita, and yes... I own both systems.
The worlds look rich with awesome artwork in the background that makes them look vivid and dream like, as seen in Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
I was surprised to see how impressive some of the worlds looked. considering it was a handheld title, it sure did feel like you were looking at a console game.

To get the sour and bitter out of the way, let's talk about the "Drop" function and "Reality shift" one of which are entirely made for the purpose of reminding us of the touch screen's capabilities.
During the game you will come across certain objects that will have a pink marker on the bottom screen light up like a neon sign for you to swipe your stylus across.
This will activate a sequence which are by the way unique to each world.
The purpose of this is to reinvent battles for this title only, so that it has that "you're playing on a 3DS, don't forget that" and in actuality it does little to spice up the battles them selfs, in fact, I found it very annoying that I had to sit around with my stylus awkwardly positioned between my right hand fingers because I had to be ready for these opportunities.

not only will you be able to trigger these from objects, there is a small chance for your character upon hitting the enemy to activate a reality shift on the enemy it self, which really isn't game changing, but against bosses it can mean the difference of the outcome.
That is especially true on the "Proud" difficulty setting.

As for "Drop" you will quickly have to deal with being forced away from Sora and switch to Riku, this is controlled by a time limit on about 10 minutes, depending on how good you're doing in battle which can reward you with "bonus time", there are also other ways such as buying a remedy called "Drop-me-not" which will extend your time limit by 30 seconds.
At first this seems very annoying, but actually it becomes a savoring factor for the game's pacing, because with two seperate characters that also level seperately, you would most likely find yourself prioritating one over another, which the drop system prevents perfectly.
You can also Drop whenever you feel like it by simpling hitting "Drop" on the bottom screen, which will throw away whatever time you had left and switch with no consequences whatsoever..
So in theory, you could force your way around this, but only until you come across the need for finishing a chapter in the world that is missing with either characters, effectively forcing you to play the other character to a bare minimum.

I am absolutely positive that you will enjoy this approach to the game, even though it might seem like a hassle to begin with.
Much like most other japanese games, it just takes some getting used to.
The only real downside is that if you are in the middle of a bossfight and your drop meter empties, you have to start over when you get back again, major downside, but it just takes some getting used to as I already said. Check your meter before you engage a boss.

Leveling and gearing is simple and easy, and boss fights can be punishing if you try to rush your way through, especially around the late end of the game.
Just a heads up, I suggest you level to 40 before you go all out at the end.
There are plenty of guides out there for leveling efficiency.

The new "FlowMotion" (Oh Japan how we love your homemade English) is the most prominent feature of the battles and is so fun to play with that it becomes addicting, to the point where you have to learn when it can work against you rather than for.
with the press of the "Y" while midair, you can do a small charge that if, collides with a wall, pole or enemy can send you flying through the air and have you execute powerful area wide attacks.
It also works as an addictive method of traveling since you can consistantly keep up the flight by jumping from wall to wall lightning fast.

I quickly want to add that the mana bar has been entirely replaced with a "deck" and "cooldown" system.
It works in a way that you customize each slot in your deck with an ability or item you want to have with you in battle (customize through menu outside of battle)
as you spend the charge of for instance, "Fire" it proceeds to the next ability/item in line and leaves "fire" on a cooldown that after a certain amount of time, resets and lets you use it once again.

This is important to mention since it is also the only real difference between Riku and Sora Combatwise.
Both characters can have unique abilities that only they can use respectively.
These abilities makes you look like a gameboss.
You know that badass move that owned you in some of the boss battles from the first game? yeah, you can pull awesome moves like that now, Sora/Riku style.

All in all you've got a an awesome package here with loads of stuff to do, but content wise you will eventually run out of things to do, unless you really really like that Pokemon aspect of the game, which I will for the sake of this already lenghty review, avoid entirely.

VERDICT

What you have here is another Kingdom Hearts game, that will keep you occupied for about 30-40 hours, after which you will shelf it and most likely don't look back for a while.
For the price you get a lenghty game, and the story has its moments HINT: You'll get to see an old friend again and it's not who you think it is.
All in all I feel that the emotional value these games try to establish, falls a little shy if you aren't familiar with the story.
I know, because I had trouble remembering some of it, so that it only hit me after it was already done.
And the constant Name dropping, dear god.
Xemnas, Xehanort, Ansem, Actual Ansem.
A word of advice: get the names right before you play this game, because there is a lot to keep track of.

The combat is better than ever, honestly... It sounds wierd for a handheld game, but it really is.
With the exception of the abundant Realityshift (which thank god, is optional), the combat is fast paced and rewarding when done right.

considering the story, you can skip this one if you can't be bothered, but as a fan you should definitely give it a roll, you will not be disappointed.
Just remember that you didn't buy this game for the story, because there isn't too much of it. In fact, most of it goes down around the end, kind of making the rest feel like a theme park ride rather than a contribution to the overall plot, but for that Kingdom Hearts feel that you miss, it's all right here.

for a handheld Kingdom Hearts game, it sure did surprise me.

for non-fans you might feel like there's too much of a setup and too little of a payoff, which is understandable, but listen to me you fans out there...
This game is good, don't be fooled by the gimmicky title and strange approach to the revisited younger Riku and Sora.

And I'll say it's a solid 4/5
on 26 August 2012
This game is an absolute must-buy for any fan of the Kingdom Hearts games, and even people that haven't played any Kingdom Hearts games before will love this. Having finished the story I will not spoil anything but the story keeps you on your toes as you play through as both Sora and Riku (at different times by 'dropping') and this game uses the 3d effect to its advantage by adding depth to the scenes. I have only played some of the Kingdom Hearts games, if I am honest, but this game is definately my favorite due to the new features put in from the other and older games. First, there is the aforementioned 'dropping' that occurs.

Dropping:

A new feature introduced in Dream Drop Distance (DDD) that allows you to swap between Sora and Riku as both characters play through worlds, sometimes helping each other along the way. This feature at first was very annoying and difficult to enjoy, but as the game goes on, it can be quite a useful tool if one character is much further along than the other and you want to keep them balanced. Alternatively, you may wish to get as far as possible with one character, before swapping and doing the same worlds but from a different perspective. Either way, the 'dropping' is a feature that is interesting to use and experiment with.

Dream Eaters:

The most notable change in game play are the Dream Eaters that are your enemies in this game. As the crisis is that worlds are falling into never-ending sleep by the Dream Eaters despite their name, the Dream Eaters eat happy dreams (or at least the ones you fight do). However, you can create your own Dream Eaters to then fight the enemy Dream Eaters, by using ingredients that you can gain through various methods in-game, and it is surprisingly fun when you get into it. The best way to describe your Dream Eaters is that they are a mix between Pokemon and Nintendogs in the sense that they level up, but you have to pet them, feed them and play games with them to boost your connection with that Dream Eater. As you would expect, the Dream Eaters become higher levelled and harder to beat as you play through the game, but if you choose the right Dream Eaters to be on your side, they should balance nicely and not be too much hassle. A word of advice when creating your own Dream Eaters is that the higher the rank the better, and this doesn't always mean following the recipe that you receive at points in the game. The best way to create powerful Dream Eaters is to experiment with ingredients and if you are having trouble defeating an enemy Dream Eater then remember it and create one for yourself.

Overall:

This game definitely deserves the 5 star rating as it is honestly one of the best games that I have ever played, and I play a LOT of games. The constant change of enemies and bosses keeps the game fast-paced, but the training of your Dream Eaters and other mini games keeps it at a changeable pace. If you are not a big fan of fighting games like Kingdom Hearts, don't be put off because they is an easy option that will suit beginners to fighting-adventure games and an expert mode for those who like a challenge. This game is a treasure that should be enjoyed by all, so buy and enjoy!

See one answered question