5.0 out of 5 stars Totes amazeballs
I have to admit i was pleasantly surprised (sorry Tim). Not a fan of the memoir, I often find them stale and lifeless. This couldn't have been anymore different, i loved every single word! It was funny, genuine, charming and ever so slightly erratic!

Published on 13 May 2012 by Stephanie Fox

3.0 out of 5 stars Only half way to the stars
A well written book and one that is not overly self indulgent however there are half stories and little snippets of pop/rock history that would be better expanded upon.

Published 23 months ago by Damon Pooley

5.0 out of 5 stars Totes amazeballs, 13 May 2012
Stephanie Fox "tinkerhell" (Liverpool, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Telling Stories (Paperback)

Having been a fan of the charlatans for seventeen years i loved learning the inside story of the bands beginnings. Tim's enthusiasm for music is clear, I found it endearing and reading the book has introduced me to stuff I'd never heard before and is now firmly on my play list.

I could hear Tim's voice telling his story as i read, leaving me in no doubt that these were his words and no-one else's. I read the entire book in one sitting (with toilet breaks) i just couldnt put it down. By far my favourite book in ages.

Everyone should read this book, charlatans fan (who isn't and why?) or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Dead Good, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Telling Stories (Paperback)
The Charlatans have been a constant, musically, for me since the release of 'Some Friendly'. Along with the Stone Roses they sound tracked my teenage years. Since then I have remained a fan of the band as well as Tim's solo stuff but never really felt as though I knew that much about them. In some ways it was a refreshing change at the time especially during the Gallagher years.
I've read a few music autobiographies, but none so far have had the soul of Tellin Stories. There is no vanity in his writing and he doesn't seem to try to gloss over anything. Tim knows his music that's clear and his recollections of the Hacienda and the Manchester scene were especially interesting to me as someone who would have loved to have been part of it but was,probably a bit young. The book doesn't follow a rigid chronological order but I liked that, Tim clearly has the knack of this writing business and should try it again soon. I cannot recommend highly enough. Thanks Tim, I feel as though I know my favourite band just that little bit better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazeballs (I had to say it), 10 May 2012
This review is from: Telling Stories (Paperback)
As a Charlatans fan I had high hopes when I bought this book, and I wasn't in any way disappointed.

From the very first page I was absolutely hooked, the writing is excellent and the stories and anecdotes recounted in such a clear way you can really picture the scenes you are taken into.

It's a seriously honest book, shockingly so at times; but that is more refreshing than anything. There are no holds barred, the ups and downs of the rock n roll lifestyle laid bare for everyone to see.

The thing I really, really loved about the book however, is the way that Tim's passion for music absolutely leaps off the page at you; you'll be reading about his time clubbing at The Hacienda and the whole chapter is interspersed with lists of bands, LPs and songs to listen to. At times it's as if he can't help his enthusiasm for music taking over and you end up with brackets full of lists of songs to introduce yourself to the band he's just talked about.

With that in mind, I honestly recommend reading with music access close by - I ended up creating a playlist as I went which really added to the whole experience of reading the book. (and for a couple of chapters you want to listen to a full Charlatans album as you read).

It isn't like a lot of autobiographies in that it isn't 100% in chronological order, it's more a series of themes which, whilst they follow on from each other, do overlap. It's not traditional, but it really works, and gives you more of an insight into his mindset than a simple a-b approach.

I really can't recommend this enough - grab a cuppa, get your music on and spend a weekend engrossed in the book - you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A story worth telling, 11 Jan. 2013
Andrew Ritchie (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Telling Stories (Paperback)
As with most people who read this book I am a long standing fan of The Charlatans and of Tim's music.
It was great to read about Tim's earlier life, his passion for music from an early age and how he sought out the bands of his generation to learn more about and immerse himself in their music.
The ease with which he moved into the more seedy side of rock and roll life is told well and compellingly. Tim is an engaging character who has always given huge amounts back to his fans, especially giving of his own time in connecting with fans.
Tim is likeable, engaging guy and is open and honest about the times when he probably hasn't been a great person to be around and the very obvious reasons for this. I like the way he dismissed the unluckiest band in the world tag. Losing a great friend shouldn't be labelled unlucky.
Track by track reviews of Some Friendly and You Cross my Path are worked in well, though I would have loved this for Tellin'Stories as well.
I've picked up some new music to listen to and a greater understanding of the journey he's been through. My only criticism is that some of the story is covered to quickly, the rise to success left me wanting more particularly.
Overall I really enjoyed the book, The Charlatans fans will love it and any music fan will get enough out of it to be well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2-0 to music, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Telling Stories (Paperback)
I first saw The Charlatans back in 2002 when they played Finsbury Park with Oasis. I was bitten by The Charlatans bug and have been intrigued with their story ever since. When I heard about Tim writing a book, and releasing it on my 30th birthday, I thought it was an ideal opportunity for me to learn more about the band, and Tim in particular. As I type I have 'Impossible' wafting around the room...

Telling stories is the most brutal and honest music story I have read since 'Renegade' by Mark. E. Smith. It will make you laugh, cry, and all the emotions in between. I would recommend this book to all lovers of real music, and lovers of hair cuts. Paul Weller once complimented Tim's hair.....back in the 90's mind you! Joking aside, this is a great book and Tim will not disappoint you if you want the full nitty gritty of his life as a Charlatan(see chapter 2, Cocainus. Probably best not let your mother read this bit, though!!).

All in all, 10 out of 10 for this, in what I hope is the first part of a series of books from Mr B. His warm and welcoming personality shines throughout. An ace read, and what's more, I have mine signed by the man himself :)

Looking forward to the next chapter Tim! x

5.0 out of 5 stars For Your Entertainment., 14 May 2012
This review is from: Telling Stories (Paperback)
Tim Burgess and I share the same obsessive need for music and it's genres, our musical tastes are uncannily similar so this recollection would always strike a chord with me. However, What I wasn't prepared for was the effortless way this story has been told, giving a clear insight into the development of a person musically and personally whilst recalling the tales with an admirable sense of humility.
I had the book delivered Saturday, read forty pages last night then finished it today, recommendation in itself, the last book that hooked me like that was 'Who killed Martin Hannet?'

Even if you only have a slight trail of music running through your veins everyone will be able to associate with the personal trials and temptations, highs and lows detailed in this light hearted yet honest read.

My times spent at live gigs by The Charlatans are now well into double figures from my home town of Plymouth to trackside at Le Mans, these seem all a little more meaningful having read this book.

A coffee table essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read.... 5 star all the way from Northwich to LA, 7 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Telling Stories (Paperback)
What a fantastic book...I feel lucky to have seen the Charlatans right from early days, the Winnington rec gig in December 89, was the first of many gigs over the last 23 years. It was nice to see Tim bring back some great memories from the summer of 89 & 90.
There is some great rock n roll stories as you would expect of touring, recording, people around the band, records that inspired Tim. He's been lucky enough to meet many of his idols along the way. He's humble and honest in the accounts of his life, the band, and those close to him.

You don't have to be a Charlatans fan to enjoy this book, If you have any kind of interest in music culture over the last 25 years, from weller to strummer, from Oasis at knebworth to Alan Magee, New Order and the hacienda. Its an worthwhile easy read, buy it, borrow it or steal if you have too....

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for any Music fan!, 18 May 2012
This review is from: Telling Stories (Paperback)
When my preordered copy of Telling Stories arrived, little did I know just how good a read was ahead of me. Yes, I was more than familiar with the public story of The Charlatans tales of ups and downs as Ive followed them through from my teen years. Yes, I was familiar with just how good Tim Burgess was with words when writing lyrics, but little did I know just how open he would be with what life was really like for The Charlatans and himself as they made their way in the music world or just how blatantly honest he would be about his own journey.

Tim's way with words extends well beyond lyric writing and transfers easily and brilliantly to the book world. With a perfect balance of saying enough about what went on within and around the band while respectfully and discreetly keeping the rest of the bands members reputations intact.

It reads like Tim is sat in conversation with an old friend, literally telling his story in his own words as he recounts its. It reads so easily that it is hard to put down once you start it and most seem to read it in one or two sittings.

For anyone who has ever shown an interest in not only The Charlatans, but any bands, I would absolutely recommend this book as not only a great and honest account of The Charlatans story but also of the behind the scenes account of what it was really like to be in a band on the up. All the trials and tribulations, ups and downs of which the Charlatans had their fair share.

Id really hope that Tim decides to put pen to paper again in not only a lyric capacity but also in another book as his writing style makes for such easy and good reading.

Congrats to all involved on a great great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars why wait, do it now, 17 May 2012
This review is from: Telling Stories (Paperback)
I ordered this as a holiday book / birthday gift to myself with every intention of waiting until June to read it. However, I took a quick look at the pictures, read a few lines and realized I couldn't wait. How glad I am. I knew I would enjoy it anyway being a huge fan of Tim and The Charlatans, but it has surpassed my expectations.

Informative, at times brutally honest, no holds barred ( or should that be `holes' after chapter 2 ? ) expose of life at the top of the rock n roll tree. Yes, Tim may recall hard edged tales of drink and drug fuelled rock n roll excess, but there is a human side too portraying a tenderness, a love of life and a love of love but most of all a love of music. Refreshingly there are no kiss and tell exploits which is rare in today's world of shameless self publicity.

To me, The Charlatans / Tim's music has always been honest and not the least bit pretentious, and this book carries on that tradition. A down to earth, honest, account of the highs and lows, life and times of an indie rock god. If I have one critiscism, like me it's too short ! But I will be reading it again & again, I found it instantly accessible and hugely enjoyable, just like the man himself ( must be a Gemini thing ! ).

3.0 out of 5 stars Only half way to the stars, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Telling Stories (Paperback)

A good holiday read and one that made me dig out all my old Charlatans stuff and then seek out Tim Burgess on the internet to see what he's up to now. A true sign that the book didn't really cover the bases.

Telling Stories