5.0 out of 5 stars Despite other reviews, I thought it was very good
I really did think this was a good read, despite other reviews to the contrary. The book is based on the main character Rose who, although extremely intelligent, has no emotional capability to deal with life (possibly aspergers??). Rose becomes fixated on a fellow student whilst at college and, indeed, as the title suggests, there is a fatal attraction.

I...
Published on 7 Sep 2009 by Victoria T

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book ever
Published on 31 Mar 2009 by Mac

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book ever, 31 Mar 2009
This review is from: Fatal Attraction (Paperback)
This has to be the worst book I have ever read. When was it set, couldn't work it out. Why would a young girl wear her mother's mink jacket to her university ball and then turn up wearing only the jacket at Joe's. Was it long enough to cover her modesty!! The plot jumped about so much that I didn't know where they were, USA, Oxford, London?? None of the characters were realistic or in the slighest likeable. I picked this book up, very cheaply, in a sale basket in a book shop and that is where I should have left it!! I have rated it one star as I'm not allowed to rate it any lower.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 26 Dec 2007
G. Green "gillygr" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fatal Attraction (Paperback)
Two things kept me reading this book. The first was that it was a gift. The second was that it was so awful that I was hooked; can something that has actually been published be this bad? The characters were stereotypical, very flat and totally unbelievable in their actions and reactions. The use of the language was appalling, grammatical errors and irritating sentence structures. Perhaps it is a case of connections over talent when it comes to getting work published. Hitchcock-on-the-page this is not. Not thrilling, but definately a crime.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very depressing!, 14 Nov 2007
This review is from: Fatal Attraction (Paperback)
I think this book was ok but not that believeable in that, without giving the plot away the main character Rose was clearly a psychopath. She really had me worked up though which shows how good the book was at making this character very real but the things she said and done were so strange that it made me wonder why Joe and the rest of the people who knew her didn't suss her out (that's the unbelieveable part). And the ending was quite disappointing too as I hate loose ends. It was gripping in some parts but overall a disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the most poorly written "Thrillers" I have ever read., 7 Aug 2012
This review is from: Fatal Attraction (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book. The story didn't grab me, the writing was poor, punctuation not used as much as it should have been. I had to keep reading paragraphs again to understand what she was trying to say. I don't think I'll rush out to buy any more of her books. Have passed it on to a friend who wanted to read it. Her review may be next and I don't think it will be a good one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fatal Boredom, 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: Fatal Attraction (Paperback)
Truly awful. Badly written, awful plot and even worse characters, who are so two dimensional their personalities are as flat as the paper they're printed on.

The main character Rose, is clearly a pyschopath with no redeeming features at all, whilst everyone else is just plain bland. Rose's obsession with Joe, which begins after seeing him in an Oxford bar one night, is more than a little difficult to understand. He is obnoxious, rude and fairly unpleasant, treating Rose with the same level of contempt you would imagine some would treat a swarm of flies around their dinner plate. And yet she continues to insist they are meant for each other and refuses to accept that he doesn't want anything to do with her.

I have no idea when this book is supposed to be set either. It mentions 1983 at the start, but with no firm timeline to follow, it's difficult to understand when events are occuring. By page 68 I had to admit defeat and give up, which I really hate doing, but I just couldn't bring myself to waste any more time on it.

One last thing - the way in which characters speak to each other is grating. Less '80s London and more '30s Hampshire, with a little 19th Century thrown in for good measure - who says 'Alas, that night I am spoken for.'? Utterly terrible. Avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Most Poorly Written Book I've Ever Read, 21 Nov 2007
J. R. Smith "Books Forever" (Ipswich, Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fatal Attraction (Paperback)
This book was stunningly crappy. It's obvious that Carol Smith only gets published because she was once a literary agent and must have connections that allow her to continue churning out stories full of one-dimensional characters, poorly developed plots and a criminal disregard for the English language. Her writing is lazy, and punctuated throughout with little half-sentences that make the story seem choppy and unpolished. This book is her all-time low. It's as if she scribbled it out in rough draft while preoccupied with something else and then managed to pawn it off as a finished novel. The story of Rose and Joe could have been a short story, but is larded up considerably with very short chapters and an incredible amount of repetition. She insults her readers' intelligence by interpreting scenes for them rather than letting them get to know her characters through their own words and actions. I began skimming early on and breathed a sigh of relief when it was over. A waste of time and an insult to the thriller-reading public who will pay way too much money for this "story". This book is not even worthy of being donated to Oxfam. Stay away.

3.0 out of 5 stars A tale of obsession, 17 Nov 2012
Avid reader "Janet" (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fatal Attraction (Paperback)
Having read a few Carol Smith books, I can understand why there are mixed reviews about this one. The story is about a girl with a brilliant mathematical mind, but an inability to form the usual sort of relationships with other people.

This book can't be described as a thriller, as there are no thrills or surprises. The book covers about 40 years, starting with the birth of Rose and her siblings. There are sometimes gaps of several years, where nothing much happens, and the main action centres on the times when Rose encounters the object of her obsession and fantasies.

The story is told in quite a flat way, almost as though this were not a fiction, but was explaining the development of a real person; a brilliant yet damaged mind over a number of years, in the context of her relationships to her family, friends and working life. Rose seems to have no endearing qualities at all, despite being physically attractive, and the supporting characters are all flawed in some way. So this is not a "fun" read, but somehow, there is a tiny familiarity that can be recognised in Rose, and although she is always very annoying and never likeable, it did seem to me that she really can't help being the way she is.

What is a bit unbelievable is that nobody seems to see what she is really like. Those people who have an inkling don't do anything about it, and the police seem to be completely inept. Whether this is a true reflection of similar cases I really don't know. I did feel that there were some similarities with Minette Waters' The Sculptress.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this book!, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Fatal Attraction (Paperback)
I would agree with the most negative reviewers here. The writing style was at best dull, at worst full of cliches and repetition - it was shocking to think that the author had been a successful literary agent. The characters were thinner than cardboard, and the relationships and settings unbelievable - it was impossible to believe that the young people came from the 21st century. Not even 'who did it, and why?' intereat to carry you along. Certainly one of the worst books I have ever encountered.

3.0 out of 5 stars Obsession, 18 July 2010
T. Gouveia "Anais" (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fatal Attraction (Paperback)
The main character in the book is Rose, a woman who is obsessed with a man she had a one night stand with at university. While he moves on, she cannot and makes herself a part of his life whether he likes it or not. When he falls for her sister her true psychotic personality reveals itself as opposed to just having an innocent crush. I gave the book 3 stars because I do feel that it could have been better written, but it was a fast and enjoyable read none the less.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Change of Style Doesn't Work, 10 April 2010
A Haley (Engalnd) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fatal Attraction (Paperback)
I have read most of Carol Smith's other novels over the last ten years and found them gripping, especially Kensington Court. However, usually the reader is kept in suspense all through the novel, wondering "Whodunnit?" In this novel Carol declares the murderer right from the start and I was extremely disappointed in the change of style.

Please change back to the suspense style Carol? it much better suits your writing.

Fatal Attraction