4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, ending not as clear as I would have liked
This is a very intriguing and well written piece of work. I really enjoyed the characters, the subject matter and the alternating timelines (in particular the story set during the 4th Crusade). The pace is very enjoyable also and it was definitely a book I could not put down without wanting to read till the end.

So why not the full 5 stars? Well when I reached...
Published on 21 May 2012 by J. Corbett

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT WORTH BUYING
This is all about an ancient tablet that not only helped Dandolo conquer Constantinople, but also gave Hitler his power over people!! I wish the cover blurb had indicated it was about magic. Fortunately I got it for £1.50 from a charity shop.
Published 20 months ago by Rastar

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, ending not as clear as I would have liked, 21 May 2012
J. Corbett (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sacred Scroll (Paperback)

So why not the full 5 stars? Well when I reached the end I felt a little bit of an anti-climax. Of course I can't reveal too much here without spoiling the plot, but all I can say is I felt some parts were not cleared up as much as I would have liked them to have been. In fact, I still had questions regarding certain parts of the story, and even felt some of the plot (after re-thinking about it) didn't make sense.

However apart from this I would still encourage people to read this book as I think the writer's got excellent skill with his writing and having read some of his other work I reckon he's worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sacred Scroll ancient and modern excitement, 6 May 2012
Sacred Scroll by Anton Gill

High class thriller set in 3 main time zones, about 2000 BC in Constantinople (now Istanbul) , mid 20th century (Germany) and today (Europe and USA), very well researched (I checked one of the characters, an archaeologist, on Wikipedia - he was real) and informed (discussion of psychopathy). Not just a good read, but thought-provoking eg re extreme sophistication of science in area of old Mesopotamia, and destruction of books and artefacts by war and fanaticism. Keeps you on your toes, not just about who-dunnit but the time zones.
Anton Gill is known as a good and varied writer, as he has written on such subjects as Berlin between the 2 world wars, and Peggy Guggenheim in addition to crime stories set in Ancient Egypt, all with fascinating backgrounds, and I hope this will the start of a series set in old Constantinople.
Well worth the money.
Phyllis Turvill

4.0 out of 5 stars Another accomplished thriller, 18 May 2012
This review is from: The Sacred Scroll (Kindle Edition)
Having read more than my share of thrillers featuring the Knights Templar, quests for powerful and mysterious objects or legends I approached this book with a degree of skepticism. After all how many times can you go back to the mother lode and come up with something fresh? I needn't have worried. In these skilled hands, Sacred Scroll covers new ground, the author manages new twists and even when you think you're being taken down a familiar road there's a clever twist in the path and you're off in a new direction. I read this over the course of a couple of days (during which I should have been doing Very Important Things) - I'm jolly glad I spent that time in the company of Gill's characters, both contemporary and accurately historic: this deserves to be a best seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars what y'Kindle's for, 5 May 2012
This review is from: The Sacred Scroll (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant stuff, un-put-down-able (so much less of a problem with a Kindle!). I enjoy Gill's writing hugely - he maps the ground between the high brow and the quotididan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Sacred Scroll (Paperback)
Good book, interesting read. Looking forward to the sequels. It will keep you turning pages. Books condition as advertised and arrived quickly and well packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupendous, 5 May 2012
This review is from: The Sacred Scroll (Kindle Edition)
A fantastic read. I just couldn't put the book down and am consequently suffering from sleep deprivation. The author has the knack of being able to combine detailed fact with a compelling narrative, so don't delay, buy it today!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's got everything, 2 May 2012
This review is from: The Sacred Scroll (Kindle Edition)
This book is terrific, the author is a past master at plot and character. It's got everything, murder, mystery, intrigue. We move seamlessly between thirteenth century cosmopolitan Constantinople and modern day sophisticated Paris. We're in the time of the Crusades, we're in the time of the Second World War, we're in present day Berlin and New York, the action never stops. The story is riveting and the denouement wonderfully powerful. It's a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fabulous - a must read and a great gift, 2 May 2012
This review is from: The Sacred Scroll (Paperback)
This book is fabulous - it combines all the elements needed for a great read: a gripping plot, well-drawn, interesting characters, beautifully worked historical background interplaying with the present day and a galloping pace. Intrigue personified! Buy now for yourself and as a gift for others - but be careful - you'll have to cancel your social plans for a few days because you won't be able to put it down! Highly recommended. Waiting with baited breath for the next one in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 27 May 2013
This review is from: The Sacred Scroll (Paperback)
My first time to have chosen a book from this author.
I've liked it, but I think a person with more history knowledge than mine will be able to appreciate it more.
Very interesting and very well researched.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good storyline. Very factual, 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Sacred Scroll (Kindle Edition)
Although not exactly a plausible tale! The storyline is good. Great deal of factual content. Easy read and easy to pick up.

The Sacred Scroll