5.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm
Brooks delivers again. Faint whiff of a hasty film tie in but i loved it. Can't wait till his next batch of disturbingly realistic zombie lunacy.
Published 9 months ago by James William Carr

1.0 out of 5 stars Size, Limited
Published on 23 Feb 2012 by Niall McLoughlin

1.0 out of 5 stars Size, Limited, 23 Feb 2012
My first review on Amazon forced out of me by someone who has previously been one of my favourite authors. It's been mentioned that the page count is low, but I don't think anyone has mentioned the physical size of the book. It's small. Like a pocket book, or one of those little books full of quotations that are always at the counter when you're at a proper book shop. The weightiest story is given over to bringing another set of undead creatures into the fray. Admittedly this does sound interesting, but the Z's have no appetite for them and therefore there's no risk to them. The Z's just ignore them while the new undeads are stomping on their heads. It almost feels like bullying.

I agree the last story feels very Brooks-ian and is the highlight of the brochure. It runs for about 15 tiny, tiny pages though.

Very disappointing. All I need now is for the WWZ film to cast someone like Brad Pitt as the lead to really tick me off.

Oh.....

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing following WWZ, 20 Feb 2012
P. Potter "ex-mosh monkey" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
First let me say that I am a massive fan of Max Brooks' zombie universe - I re-read WWZ every few months which still manages to keep me reading into the small hours and I have a dog-eared copy of the Zombie Survival Guide that I've read far too many times.

When I found out that a new collection was coming out I was excited but after picking this up in the book shop and realising it was less than half as thick as his last zed-head novel I was a bit put off. Still, Zombie Survival Guide wasn't exactly a heavy weight book and this author can do a lot with a limited number of pages so I handed over my cash readily.

Oh how wrong I was. The introduction gives some insight into how the author came into contact with zombies in the movies which is interesting but no more than a footnote or magazine interview really. All but one of the actual stories aren't anything special compared to the intricate narrative in WWZ, with the first one being a bit out of place compared to the bleakness of the universe's history and spirit of the characters in that novel.

The second story isn't bad and kind of feels in line with the earlier work although it didn't seem to go anywhere. Still a nice twist to it.

Don't get me started on the third one about the other popular undead phenomenon helping humanity fight back. Felt like some terrible random internet fan-fiction rather than from the same author and I did struggle to finish it. I did check the cover after to make sure this wasn't a compliation of fan submitted stories published under Brooks' name on it but alas no.

The fourth (and last) story is pretty good and you can imagine this being in WWZ. Well written and fits in nicely with the theme of the series.

Overall, one good story couldn't rescue this book from feeling like a collection of those that didn't make the grade for the main novel (WWZ). This to me didn't feel like it built on the earlier work and felt like a bit of a let down.

If another collection is released I hope it hangs together better than this and goes back to the quality of the authors earlier work, even if we have to wait a little bit longer for it to appear... not too long though, the undead could be shuffling down my street any day now...

1.0 out of 5 stars Save money - buy something else, 24 Feb 2012
I bought this on the strength of World War Z and the fact that Amazon normally gets recommendations so well tailored.
I feel really exploited this time around - and my faith in Amazon has suffered as a result. This book is maybe worth 1.99 as a spontaneous purchase by the register. Even at 3.99 it's massively overpriced. It's exploitation of the goodwill generated by the original book, and the buzz surrounding the forthcoming movie. Shame on everyone involved with this project.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks the punch of World War Z, 9 Jun 2012
John Milton (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Closure, Limited and other zombie tales is written by Max Brooks, the man behind World War Z, one of my favourite books EVER.

So, with this much anticipation built up, you can imagine my disappointment when this book arrived and I found it to be very slim indeed. In fact, there's less than 130 pages and only four short stories, of which, Closure, Limited only takes up TWELVE pages.

Trying to set this negative feeling aside, I started reading and easily chewed my way through the contents of this book. As stated, the book is comprised of four stories, those being: Closure, Limited: A Story of World War Z, Steve and Fred, The Extinction Parade and Great Wall: A Story from the Zombie War.

Closure, Limited and Great Wall can be considered together since these effectively read like missing chapters from World War Z, the former brings a business venture to the aftermath of the outbreak and the latter is the tale of a Chinese survivor who fought against the undead hordes. However, where both tales fit easily into the WWZ universe created by Brooks, Closure, Limited is a little more original and focuses on genuine human emotion and the very different ways that survivors deal with their own grief.

Steve and Fred definitely needed some fleshing out but fairly effectively juxtaposed the tale of two survivors: one, a gung-ho Marine, the other, an Average Joe trapped in a small cupboard in a bathroom with the undead beating at the door. In my opinion, this story is definitely the weakest of the bunch and is very generic in nature.

For me, the pick of the bunch was definitely The Extinction Parade. This short story occupies the lion's share of the book and follows a small group of vampires in South East Asia as they observe mankind's reaction to the dead rising; at first apathetically and then with shock as they realise the extent of the zombie menace and the threat it poses to their own food supply.

There is no doubt that Brooks is a skilled writer and his insight into what would occur in a zombie apocalypse is well-documented and noted by those in loftier positions than me, such as Simon Pegg who observed that, "Brooks infuses his writing with such detail and authenticity, one wonders if he knows something we don't". Brooks himself comments in his introduction to Closure, Limited that "Zombies are a global phenomenon, the perfect lens for examining societal collapse. They are SARS, they are AIDS. They are the hurrican that drowned an entire city, or the `master race' that burned an entire continent. They are an existential threat, a slate wiper, and have an ability to expose our suicidal weaknesses; I'll never lose my fear of them."

With Closure, Limited, Brooks again demonstrates his wide knowledge of geography, history and sociological and political matters; and manages to convey strong messages in an incredibly slimline book. Looking at this objectively, Closure, Limited is a welcome addition to the WWZ universe created by Brooks. I think perhaps I had simply built myself up to be settling down for a lengthier period with Brooks' latest work rather than for it all to be over so quickly.

2.0 out of 5 stars No closure, whatsoever, 25 Feb 2012
zombielover "perpetual student" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I am a huge fan of Max Brooks' work and of World War Z, as I am sure practically everyone who buys this is.

If you have never read any of Brooks' work before, do not buy this as a first foray in to his work, it doesn't do him justice at all.

I was so excited to hear another Brooks' compendium of stories was coming out. Imagine my disappointment when a wafer thin 'tome' with paper quality matching that of a pulp paperback landed on my door.

Still, not to be one to judge the book by its cover (by the by, the illustration is probably the most in keeping element this book has with 'Z') I opened it out and made a start.

There is a cute little introduction by the author on why he got in to the genre in the first place. But cute essentially doesn't have a place in zombie fiction and the amount it 'fleshed out' the pages seemed more in keeping with a footnote or commentary in a magazine.

So, with hopes fading, on to the stories themselves.

There are only 4 short stories in this 'collection'. The text on the pages is quite large for the size of the book and the text is widely spaced, so you are not receiving a lot of concentrated substance for your money. The first story is a wan effort, and whilst the effect seems in keeping with the commentary in 'Z', the feasibility of it was lacking and the depth was non existent (and this was the titular story).

The second story had a neat twist, and that's all there is to be said there, and the third story? Oh Brooks, come on, give your readers a bit of credibility. Undead helping humans kill undead. Yeah. Right.

The fourth saves the lot, but it is not worth paying your money for a snippet that would fit on a web page.

The book is of poor quality, the writing feels rushed. I love Brooks and the genre as a whole, but if you were hoping for something amazing, you will be disappointed. If you need some zombie lovliness, either re-read 'Z', or purchase the Day By Day Armageddon series of books by J L Bourne, or Plague of the Dead: The Morningstar Strain by the late Z A Recht.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good things come in small packages..., 24 Feb 2012
Mr. B. S. Reynolds "Bruce" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
...but so does poison.

It's short, it's expensive, it has only four stories of which the worst one (vampires? Oh come on!!) takes up a third of the book.

What more can I say - read the reviews and save yourself 3.99 and 40 minutes of your life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good introductory chapter, 24 Feb 2012
I. Burke "Ian B" (Sunderland UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a massive fan of World war z and this was something I'd really looked forward to. So, I sank my teeth into the opening chapter, read a short story and..... it was finished.
What is this supposed to be? It's a tiny book, I knew that, but the text is massive and the margins are huge. I really feel that this is a deliberate rip off. Absolutely pointless, particularly as I also own 'Zombies, the recent dead' which happens to include the only decent story in this pamphlet 'the great wall'.

1.0 out of 5 stars but it's so tiny!, 23 Feb 2012
I feel sorry for anyone who inadvertantly pays full price for for this book. 105 pages of double spaced text with an oversized border. to call it short would be missing an opportunity to use the phrase 'shameless money grubbing'.
Oh, and vampires? really?

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing fantasy, 24 Feb 2012
The book is far too short. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that it could be read in an hour or so.
It feels as if Max Brooks forgot about some chapters he meant to put into World War Z, so decided to sell them as a separate book as a cash spinner. A horrifyingly large number of the pages don't have any story on them.
One of the stories is just ridiculous, taking away from the cold, hard facts of zombies an entering the realms of fantasy.
While this book is available at discount I still feel cheated and have lost some of my admiration for Mr Brooks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Content Limited, 20 Feb 2012
This book has been far too long a time coming. I'm sure I don't need to tell any of you how brilliant World War Z is, which makes this addition to the series all the more disappointing.

At 124 pages it's short enough, but the stories don't even start until 19 pages in. At least Amazon customers are likely to get the book for less than the 5.99 rrp, and may feel the discount offsets this...

Brooks left us with a terrible hunger for more after WWZ but Closure Limted only tortures and teases us with the stingiest and shortest of stories offering miniscule glimpses into the post apocalyptic universe he constructed so carefully and wonderfully within.

I don't wish to give anything away, but Zombie fans may find one particular chapter difficult to deal with. A change in direction that will no doubt secure Brooks a successful movie franchise, but one that's rewritten the rules in this universe forever.

ARRAY(0xfef7018)