5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest satire to come out of the Soviet era
Published 19 months ago by Mr. K. H. Plunkett

3.0 out of 5 stars Translation not very good
Published 5 months ago by Ewa Nowok

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest satire to come out of the Soviet era, 21 Feb 2013
Mr. K. H. Plunkett (Fareham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Master and Margarita (Oneworld Classics) (Kindle Edition)
I was pointed towards Bulgakov some years ago by my friends in the ex Soviet Union." Heart of a Dog" was followed by "White Guard" and then I finally got a recommended translation of "Master and Margarita". I found myself gripped instantly by the black humor Bulgakov employs. This is essentially two tales in one and the author weaves us in and out of the tale of the Nazarene and Pontius Pilate and the contemporary [1924] era in Moscow. The characters are wonderfully drawn and the translator has managed to retain most of the humorous russian jokes [shutka] while keeping the story going. The destruction of the Masters career and also that of Ivan Bezdomni [homeless] for failing to accept State views on History; together with the devils bargain between Margarita and Woland to rejoin her with the Master keep us on edge as we see the corruption of the officials exploited - especially the wonderful performance at the Theatre. There is of course no happy ending - and yet the Master and Margarita do find release - thanks to an agreement between Woland and Mathew representing both the supreme forces of good and evil. Despite all the evidence to the contrary; the State rationalizes everything as a case of mass hypnosis - Stalin who admired Bulgakov culturally made it fairly plain he was not amused!!

Please read it and perservere - it is well worth the while!

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a Hugh Aplin translation., 29 April 2013
The Kindle version of the book doesn't indicate the translator. For those of you who wonder - it is translated by Hugh Aplin. I have it in "real", paper version. It is a very good translation, very true to the Russian original. However I had been trying to get Volokhonsky/Pevear translation and had to "return" this Kindle version. Luckily, the Amazon has reimbursed the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is brilliant!, 19 Aug 2014
L. Nunn - See all my reviews
This is a classic, and is no light reading! If you've no idea what to expect, you will probably be confused and even a bit frustrated for the duration of Part one. After that everything comes together, and the 'book' is hard to put down. Bulgakov draws on Goethe's Faust primarily, but develops its themes in his own memorable way. Yes, it is a satire on Stalin's Russia, but not a bitter one; the mockery is often hilarious, but the interplay of this and the serious elements of humanity and morality is immensely skilful. There is so much to think about and to discuss here, that is really challenging, not least the interaction of belief and the unbelievable. I immediately want to read it again and pick up on what I know I missed the first time around. It is brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful classic, but poor translation., 2 April 2014
I found the language somewhat tedious. For a better read, I definitely recommend the Vintage Classics edition, also available on Kindle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Translation not very good, 30 Mar 2014
I love the book, but I am very disappointed with the translation. I read it in Polish, which is much closer to Russian and then in English and it's just doesn't do it for me. On top of that, some parts of the story are missing in example the story how the Master befriended Mogarycz, it is only mentioned at the end that he occupied Master's flat after he left for the clinic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation?, 2 Dec 2013
I am afraid I had to give up on this book, which I hate doing. I don't class my self as stupid but I found myself getting confused as to who was who. They seemed to be referred to by more than one name. Probably because of this, I found it hard to engage with the characters. It may be to do with the translation as others in my book club didn't seem to struggle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 24 Sep 2013
A beautiful tale of fantasy and satire, a impressionistic canvas of love and life crushed in post Revolution Russia. A must read.

1.0 out of 5 stars AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, 23 July 2013
What a book, I read two chapters and got bored, it is a hard read, maybe it is one you have to be in the mood for, will give it another go sometime.