5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing!
I just watched this tonight - it came quickly from Amazon.
I am going to be brutaly honest here - I wasn't expecting much.
I already had this on DVD. I was at the Glasgow concert in 1993 - it blew me away.
Anyway back to the blu ray.
I cranked up the sub and 5.1 on DTS.
Wow the soundtrack was amazing. A great vibrant 5.1 mix.
The visuals...
Published on 19 July 2012 by Steven

2.0 out of 5 stars Awesome concert. Picture is a severe letdown
I have owned this concert on NTSC Laserdisc for years and watch it over and over. I bought the DVD mainly for the 5.1 sound mix but also for a better quality experience all round. Unfortunately the picture quality is many times worse than my 6(?) year old copy on LD. Especially evident on plasma.
Don't buy if you're looking for "DVD Quality" picture.
Published on 2 Jun 2003 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing!, 19 July 2012
Steven "mrplant" (Musselburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret World Live [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I just watched this tonight - it came quickly from Amazon.
I am going to be brutaly honest here - I wasn't expecting much.
Anyway back to the blu ray.
I cranked up the sub and 5.1 on DTS.
Wow the soundtrack was amazing. A great vibrant 5.1 mix.
The visuals however blew me away truly - I had not noticed so much in the past - the concert looks so fresh, vibrant and current its unreal.

Really really enjoyed it- highlights were Come Talk To Me, San Jancinto, Blood Of Eden and Secret World, whilst Red Rain was also brilliant.

I can't recommend this enought to people who have this on DVD , god forbid still on VHS - the recolouring is amazing as is the definition.

Well done to all involved.

This is an amazing Blue Ray.

I have upgraded the US tour in my mind thanks to this by leaps and bounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliantly restored detailed video with true surround mix, 5 Aug 2012
John Frame "There Is No Substitute For Equality" (Brisbane, Queensland Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret World Live [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Peter Gabriel's 1994 "Secret World" tour is the only one he has brought to Australia, and what I witnessed and thoroughly enjoyed in Brisbane, with family and friends, was a reduced stage design from the gala installation which we see in this film - but there was no scrimping on showmanship, musicianship, audio quality or lighting.

The new - July 2012 - version for Blu-ray is VASTLY superior to the 2003 DVD in video quality - it makes that DVD look more like poor VHS quality. The 16mm film has been newly transferred at 2K resolution (cinema projection quality) then each frame was fully restored and then the colours and contrasts were expertly balanced. You could not hope for better quality - the improvement over the 2003 DVD is truly astonishing.

The audio quality of the Blu-ray will sound very similar to the DVD for most listeners - because these are same high quality stereo and 5.1 surround mixes as were used on the 2003 DVD - with the improvement for Blu-ray being that the stereo track is in uncompressed PCM (rather than the DVD's Dolby 2.0) and the surround is in lossless DTS HD Master 5.1 (rather than the DVD's compressed DTS 5.1 and Dolby 5.1 options). The surround mix was made from the original multitrack tapes - and creates an enveloping and creative soundscape (it's a whole world away from that business of applying synthetic treatments to a stereo track in order to invent a phony 5.1 surround track).

The Blu-ray has the same extras as the 2003 DVD, but with a preview for the New Blood Blu-ray/DVD rather than for the Growing Up DVD, and the welcome bonus of a "Secret World" tour performance of "Red Rain". For any Peter Gabriel fan, this a must see as a state of the art memento. This is one the world's greatest bands having the time of the lives, being inventively filmed, perfectly recorded - and with the benefit of the most respectful and appreciative of audiences.

4.0 out of 5 stars He may have the grooves, but he ain't got the moves!, 30 April 2003
Personally, I am delighted that this superb concert has been finally updated and released for DVD players.
Although I never owned the previous VHS edition, I HAVE owned the double-compact disc album of the same concert (from Italy in the early 1990's) for many years, so I was very familiar with the track list and performances.
... which brings me neatly on to my first minor gripe actually. One of my favourite songs from Peter - "Red Rain" is NOT included on this DVD release - even though it WAS present the audio CD edition (not sure if it was featured on the VHS edition - I suspect not). This is a real shame and it's *sadly* missed :( In my opinion his performance of Red Rain at this gig was actually superior in many ways to the original album version on "So" ...
Regarding the rest of this release, I have much better news! The w-i-d-e-s-c-r-e-e-n remastered picture quality is nothing short of superb in my opinion and a big step on from the VHS edition for sure. Sound quality is excellent too, but I have only a modest DVD player and speaker setup, so I cannot comment on the difference in quality between the DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby 2.0 options which are available to choose from!
One thing that DOES concern me about the sound on this release is the extent to which it has been "remastered" and "remixed".
Whilst it's true that Gabriel is known to be perfectionist (a quality about him which I like), I would argue that on this release the sound is almost *too* good. In other words, the crispness and slickness of the music combined with the lack of crowd volume (which has surely been turned DOWN??) leads to an end product which sounds more like a studio produced album rather than a "Live" concert. This criticism/observation could also be made about the existing audio CD version, but I am convinced that you will find that sound here on the DVD is quite different at times, which is both unexpected and a little concerning.
HOWEVER!! before I get all doom and gloom, let's look at the GREAT things about this release before I finish:
- The widescreen picture as mentioned is superb.
- Wonderful performances (especially from Gabriel and Paula Cole)
- Spot-on packaging.
- Interesting extra features.
Regarding the extra content, we are treated to a "behind-the-scenes" feature about the Secret World Tour and shows (interesting), as well as what is effectively a preview showreel for Peter's current world tour "Growing Up". Following on nicely from Secret World (albeit after a 10 year wait!), this looks set to be a remarkable show judging by the sneak preview we see here. Some other minor features are included, including a remixed version of the classic track "Steam".
Overall then, this is a welcome release on DVD of a superb concert. Due to the omission of "Red Rain" and the overly re-mixed sound (in my opinion anyway), I sadly cannot rate this DVD at 5 stars. However, it is a rock solid 4 star product and one which all Peter Gabriel fans will treasure.
One final point though: [which explains my title for this review!] - whilst there is no doubt in my mind that Peter Gabriel is one of THE singer/songwriter talents out there, there is one thing he cannot do - DANCE! (so yes - he's got the grooves, but he ain't got the moves!)
Witness his actions during "In Your Eyes" and "Shaking the Tree" on this DVD and you'll surely see what I mean!
John Mounsey, April 2003.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, but should have been better, 27 Sep 2004
The DVD release of a fan favourite live video from Peter Gabriel should have been a more prized offering. The Secret World concerts were as theatrical and dramatic as anything Gabriel has done. The staging is compelling, and it is a thrill to see how much fun musicians and audience are having.
In the end it has to be said that the picture quality of the DVD release is less than fantastic. More disappointing is the sound quality. I am familiar with both the original VHS release and the CD version, and listening to this on my pretty good DVD/hifi the sound is just not up to scratch. Tony Levin's bass in particular, always a strong point in any Gabriel live performance, is almost lost in the general mix (not an issue on the other formats incidentally). Why oh why oh why mess around with the soundtrack by re-recording/mixing certain elements of the sound? You need to realise that many of us - especially true followers of your music - welcome the rawness and spontaneity of live performances, warts and all. The concert happened 10 years ago - don't mess with it further! This version? Scrapes 4, but really guys it should have been good enough to justify 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anti-grunge from 1994, 18 May 2003
S. Lindgren - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Hmm, tricky one. Secret World, and Peter Gabriel's 1980's - 1990's vintage work was always lighter than the ascendant Nirvarna's et al of the time, but that doesn's make it any the worse.
This is really a theatrical performance on an epic scale as well as a musical one: the show's production values were staggering, and the quality of the playing (Tony Levin on bass and Paula Cole on vocals being the most noteworthy examples) superb. It's the kind of semi egotistical thing that progressive rock always did so well, and here, it's no different. Excellent staging, lighting, camera work, screens and effects play their role with well-rehearsed slickness to support the performers. Musically, it initially seems to verge toward light-rock, but rapidly the classic Gabriel world-music develops, adding superb texture and depth to the atmosphere of the tracks. Subtle it is not. Enjoyable it certainly is, especially with Gabriel's typically positive approach toward even the grimmer situations covered by his lyrics.
The DVD is a good one. Picture quality is appropriate for a live performance -some slight graininess, but this should be expected, and adds to the general ambiance. The extras are worth looking at (which isn't ususally the case in my experience), and the sound quality is superb in stereo and DTS 5.1, while even the Dolby Digital 5.1 isn't too bad.
Bottom line -it's certainly not for everyone, but it's a thoroughly enjoyable watch and worth the money. Great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last! (Shame about the transfer though....), 17 April 2003
M. Matthews "mikematt101" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
Peter Gabriel is without doubt one of the UK's most innovative and original composers and performers, and his Secret World show, performed in Modena, Italy in 1993 to coincide with the release of 'Us', is proof of that.
This truly is a show rather than a concert, complete with a telephone box, a tree that rises from beneath the stage and a giant dome that swallows up the performers at the climax. Gabriel and his fellow musicians (including David Rhodes on guitar, the brilliant Manu Katche on drums, Paula Cole on backing vocals and the inimitable Tony Levin on bass) perform a collection of tracks from 'Us' along with classics including Solsbury Hill and, of course, the ever-popular Sledgehammer. Highlights for me are Shaking The Tree (check out the fancy footwork) and the stunning rendition of In Your Eyes.
The VHS and album of the Secret World show were both released in 1994, but we've had to wait a further nine years for it to finally make an appearance on DVD. We're offered three audio options - Dolby 2.0, Dolby 5.1 and DTS - and the sound quality is superb (though apparently some of the vocals and keyboards were re-recorded for the DVD). Sadly the same cannot be said for the picture quality, which in places is pretty poor - the VHS had a grainy, documentary-style appearance which is also true of the DVD, but the DVD also suffers from blotchiness wherever the background is smokey or indistinct. The image has also been cropped in order to create a ‘widescreen’ effect.
The extra features are also rather thin on the ground - a 15min 'Behind The Scenes', a whacky 3min 'Timelapse' segment which shows the construction of the set, the concert and the set being dismantled in a series of still images, a photo gallery and a 7min documentary on Gabriel's 'Growing Up' coinciding with the release of his pretty naff new album, 'Up' (nice to see Melanie on stage alongside her dad though...)
So has Secret World on DVD been worth the wait? Undoubtedley! This is the best concert video/DVD I've ever seen, and the great sound makes up for the ropey image quality. If you’re a Gabriel fan, or if you simply love overblown high-concept concerts, this is a must-buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Awesome concert. Picture is a severe letdown, 2 Jun 2003
Don't buy if you're looking for "DVD Quality" picture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Great Concert!, 10 April 2006
This concert is outstanding, both visually and musically. I like to see a performer perform on stage, and it is fantastic to see someone like Peter Gabriel really entertain, making great use of props, gadgets and special effects.
It is clear to see that all the performers on stage are savouring the experience and it is contagious even to the viewer. All songs are performed beautifully and it is a great piece of musical history to own.
The only reason it does not have the full five stars is the quality of the picture. A shame, but it does not spoil the overall effect.
Certainly a must for any Gabriel fan, and I can only imagine that it would be an enjoyable experience for a non-fan too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concert,shame about the picture transfer!!!!, 7 Feb 2004
L. W. Newton "lwn83" (Nottingham, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This was truly a great concert, i should no I was at this concert at the NEC in Birmingham.
Have always owned the VHS copy of this concert, so I got the DVD when it became avaliable, but i am a bit miffed as to why the picture quality is so poor, pixilated, grainy, just like the VHS copy. The sound is good you have 3 choices, 5.1, stereo and dolby digital. This dvd says on the front that it has been digitally remastered, must mean just the sound and not the picture.
This is a very good concert, if a little let down by the picture,but well worth a viewing if your into Gabriels music, it has the favourites on there, Steam,Sledgehammer,Solsbury Hill and my favourite Diggin' In The Dirt were Gabriel sports a mini-cam on his head with some interesting results.
A great performance by everyone on the stage, all excellent musicians in there own rights.
Could have been a few more extras on this disc , but the main thing is the concert that is of true quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it., 4 Dec 2005
Nick Cassidy (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
The best Peter Gabriel show ever. Absolutely superb. The show builds from start to finish and just doesn't let up. The band is incredible, not least Manu Katche, who was sadly missed on the Growing Up tour. One of the best shows I've been to and one of the best live music DVDs I've seen.

Secret World Live [Blu-ray]
Secret World Live [Blu-ray] by Peter Gabriel (Blu-ray - 2012)