1.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Always the Designer, Never the Bride: An Emma Rae Creation (Another Emma Rae Creation) (Kindle Edition)
I went into this book with the assumption that it would be a bit like the film 27 dresses. The title kind of gave me that impression and because I really loved that film you could say I sort of got over excited. But as per usual the title was kind of deceiving.

Audrey Regan has been into designing wedding dresses ever since she was a little girl, when she was just nine years old, her friends were busy playing with Barbie dolls, Audrey was creating "haute couture" for her dolls, so it's not surprising that Audrey grew up and became a wedding dress designer. However everything's not as easy as Audrey thought it would be, she took the chance and moved to New York, aiming for the big clientele, but it's been tough, brides are typically going for the recognised designers and Audrey is just managing to scrape by. However with her best friend Carly's wedding looming Audrey has to put everything on hold and fly out to Atlanta in the middle of her big chance of winning over socialite Kim Renfroe. But things go from bad to worse as Audrey's big chance slips through her fingers and she knows her hopes and dreams of becoming a well established designer are fading away. While she's in Atlanta however she meets her best friends fiancé's brother J.R. who's a whole different kettle of fish, for one he hasn't stopped gawking at her, but he also seems a lot different to the other guys she's known.

The thing about this book was that everyone was so nice all the time, it's like something bad would happen to someone but then everyone would gather around and cheer them up with a sleepover or something else pointless. I felt the bad things weren't even that bad but because Audrey had all her "girlfriends" around her who she had known for all of two minutes everything would be hunky dory!

The secondary characters from Sherrilyn to Emma I didn't really get the point of; their constant chirpy moods, knowing friends of friends who could work miracles, basically it's frustrated me how everything always fell into place for everyone. Is it so wrong of me to want some drama or mayhem?

J.R. didn't really do it for me either, I know he was meant to come across as a dapper hot guy who rides a Harley, but the only image that remained in my head was J.R. from Dallas, certain names are a no go with me, once I get a certain image in my head about a person it's kind of hard to get rid of.

Some of the writing was also full of info-dumping, paragraphs and paragraphs about the amount of detail Audrey had to put into measuring mannequins, cutting and measuring fabrics then details about lunch, it was at times pointless. A couple of conversations also went down the same pointless track;

"Please be careful on the road J.R. I will
and wear your helmet.
I always do
oh, that's right. It's me who doesn't she realised
with a giggle. Well zip your jacket and all that.
Will do, and you do the same"

"Dual head stainless steel head gas grill, Andy
continued without notice, with forty- five
thousand BTU, full rotisserie and eleven hundred
square inches of cooking surface. It's the
champion of excellence and precision in grilling
my friend"

I wished I had liked Always the Designer Never the Bride more, but it had too many always happy characters and perfect endings for my liking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Always the .... Never the bride, 5 April 2012
[...] (review also here)

Always the designer never the bride Book Review
Always the designer Never the Bride keeps the laughter going and the tears rolling, funny, romantic and damn well crazy. This book introduced a litany of characters that you can't help but fall in love with. The third in the series, though I read as a standalone, this book brings to life every girls dream.

The book is set at the The Tanglewood Inn, a wedding destination hotel in historic Roswell, Georgia. The book brings to life Audrey Regan crazy and sad adventure in the world of Haute couture and romance - a wedding dress designer - who finds herself at the Tanglewood Inn, designing a dress for her best friend, Carly.

As Audrey tries NOT to fall for Carly's soon-to-be brother-in-law, J.R. Hunt -the rugged, fun loving, never stay in one place is the most unlikely candidate for a prince charming Carly's Manoeuvres and fates crazy antics inevitably bring them together.

Always the Designer is a light, "make you laugh" book. You'll find yourself cheering on for the loveable cast at the inn. Although this book was cute I found in dragged on in some parts and I think it needed more editing, the writing was great but It could have been much shorter, I found myself skipping over paragraphs waiting for something to catch my interest. I found the ending to be bit fantastical everything wrapping up a bit too nicely.
However a solid book that sparks my interest for the rest of the series.

part of the early review programme (netgalley)