4.0 out of 5 stars SantiGOLD
Published 23 months ago by A. J. Gilpin

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
The CD was purchased as a present. It arrived promptly, but without its cover. The impression given was that it was second hand. Had to return it and obtain a replacement. Replacement Ok but experience disappointing.
Published 11 months ago by WP

4.0 out of 5 stars SantiGOLD, 9 May 2012
A. J. Gilpin (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Master Of My Make-Believe (Audio CD)
This album was chosen as the new release to review and discuss at our local monthly music club. Even though the track played was the catchy and poppy Disparate Youth, my initial thoughts were...."oh no, I have to listen to a dance record"! But upon exploring the album on Spotify, my fears quickly faded. Masters of My Make-Believe is more modern pop than dance and even two of the four overtly dance orientated tracks have some nice musical flourishes.

On reading up Santi White it is perhaps little wonder the album sounds as good as it does. For a start it was a surprise to discover that she is in her mid 30s as I was expecting her to be another of these 20 something wannabees trying to capture the zeitgeist. Far from it! She was in a punk band called Stiffed in the early 2000s before going solo and this is her second solo album and her maturity certainly shines through.

Masters of My Make-Believe is a very good pop record with high production values and it may well be my favourite album of the year so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars You know that catchy direct line advert?, 13 Jun 2013
R. Chappell "'Moose'" (Aston Clinton, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Master Of My Make-Believe (Audio CD)
Santigold, never heard her before until Reading festival & BOOM a new favourite is born, includes the full version of that catchy direct line advert music, beautiful rhythms & m
ind bending lyrics. Awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eating My Hat, 23 April 2012
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I found little to like in Santigold's 2008 debut. Truth-be-told I was
rather unkind about it. An old Wolf, however, can eat his hat when
necessary and return to base with an open mind. You see, the thing is,
I have found more than a little to love in her second outing 'Master Of
My Make-Believe'. It's a good album. It's a very good album in fact.
The melodies are more distinctive and well-formed; the beats infectious
and her vocal delivery has improved no-end. The spirit of Grace Jones
seems close at hand in Ms White's monochrome delivery and the integration
of jaunty Caribbean rhythms and inventive electro-pop arrangements.

Take 'This Isn't Our Parade' : the song hangs on a throbbing backbeat,
studded with marimba-like decorations, both supporting a really cracking
tune and curiously affecting chorus. 'Pirate In The Water', too, earns
its stripes with a bouncy reggae ambience and the rumbustious 'The Keepers'
even manages a singalong refrain. Final track 'Big Mouth' is another
highlight, making effective deployment of fractured harmonies and manic
percussion, bringing the project to a nicely off-kilter conclusion.

One senses an artist of worth finally finding her feet. Good for her says I!

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars album of the year, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: Master Of My Make-Believe (Audio CD)
loved the debut album and could not wait for this, was not disappointed its the most played cd i have bought this year and considering i tend to buy about 4 cds a week thats saying something i think it improves on the debut album in many ways having a slightly more cohesive sound, also if you can find it check out how i do by res its completely written by santi white and is similarly good

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to black, 6 May 2012
Edward Walsh (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I played Santigold's first album (on CD) more than any other in 2008 - it just seemed to lock onto my mind. When I heard of this new collection it was almost inevitable that I would buy it. No disappointment here - the content is superb. At this point it is even better than I anticipated, but that is not the point I want to make here. Let other more articulate reviewers go into the whys and wherefores, my aim here is to urge you to buy the vinyl version. Granted, I have not heard the CD, but I would be surprised if it could match the LP - the LP is surely state of the art.
The vinyl is non-crackly, the tracking non-distorting, the sound is full, rounded and full of impact - the bass response in "Fame" is notable. Add to this crisp articulation and separation of all the elements of the sound.
The art of engineering high quality vinyl is clearly alive and well. I would suggest that it is in a more healthy shape than ever, even though the LP is probably no more than a niche product at this stage. My congratulations to Santigold and to her engineers for this excellent achievement. I can only urge that you check it out for yourself - the price is a bit higher than for CD but you will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Mastery, 23 May 2012
This review is from: Master Of My Make-Believe (Audio CD)
"Master Of My Make- Believe" by Santigold is a brave musical experiment that touches on the serious issues of life in a touching manner. I particularly enjoyed "Fame", "God FromThe Machine", "The Riot's Gone", and "Go". "Master Of My Make-Believe" is a great cd to have for anyone who enjoys a careful blend of indie rock and electronica music.

5.0 out of 5 stars slick long player with plenty to offer ( including the music to the Direct Line advert), 15 Mar 2013
S. Farquhar "Stiv" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Master Of My Make-Believe (Audio CD)
This girl is very gifted.
The rest of the group are pretty good also.

The remainder of the album is well written & performed excellently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wowza!, 9 Oct 2012
Mr. R. J. Melvin "richstinkin" (Chester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Master Of My Make-Believe (Audio CD)
I didnt know what to expect from this at all. In short it blew me away, easily one of the most innovative and bold albums of 2012 and surely a shortlister for album of the year. Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably better than her debut!, 4 Aug 2012
This review is from: Master Of My Make-Believe (Audio CD)
I loved Santi from the minute I heard L.E.S Artistes and played her debut constantly, however I have to say I think this surpasses it! The melodies are more infectious, but still maintain the gritty/grimey reggae sound.
Highlights for me have to me Disparate Youth, This isnt our parade, the riots gone, pirate in the water and the keepers.
Santi is truly underrated and I cannot praise her unique sound enough! BUY BOTH ALBUMS IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars like it!, 13 Sep 2012
Amazon Customer (Kings Langley, UK) - See all my reviews
heard Desperate Youth in the direct line ad on TV....liked it and downloaded the album. Cool sounds...
I really nice the mixture of style that's been augmented here.

ARRAY(0xb34a52c4)

Master Of My Make-Believe
Master Of My Make-Believe by Santigold (Audio CD - 2012)
Click for more info