5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Little Tale!, 25 April 2012
This review is from: The Scenario Egg (Kindle Edition)
Book Review: The Scenario Egg by Saul Tanpepper
Reviewed by J Bryden Lloyd

Writing Style - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent)
As I have found to be the case with this particular author, yet another example of strong writing is on offer with this book. Everything flows well and the pace is constant, which allows the reader to absorb all that is going on.
The dialogue is equally well thought-out and considered, and opens up the descriptive nicely.

Character Development - 4.0/5.0 (Very Good)
For the main character - in effect the only character of note - the development is very good, as the tale takes you from his lofty business position and into the realms of how things could be about to dramatically change for him. As for the `female lead', well, we learn the basics necessary at the beginning, and by the end we know what we think of her, which is enough.
Part of me wanted to see more interaction between them as the storyline played out, but there are clear reasons why this would have been impractical.

Descriptive - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent)
I have - sort of - come to expect quite a lot from this author with regards to his descriptive prowess and he didn't let me down here. On the contrary, this short was a veritable feast of good descriptive which set the scenes brilliantly.
If I had to be really picky, I would have liked a little more in the "getting through winter" and the "accident/attack" parts, but what I got was very good.

Language & Grammar - 5.0/5.0 (Outstanding)
This is well edited, well written and a great example for others to follow should they be looking at writing simple-but-hard-hitting short stories.
The use of language throughout is plain and allowed me to relax into the read in such a way I got through the whole thing comfortably in a couple of hours.

Plot - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent) - MILD SPOILERS
There are good reasons why stories like this work, and occasionally there are equally good reasons why they don't. In this case, the advent of a piece of technology, rather than some great holocaust, leads the main character to think he had wished the world's populace away on his birthday.
His subsequent travels and encounters are an eye-opening peep into what might be if the human race simply stopped, but at the same time, it deals with this one man's need to know if his birthday wish could really have caused this to happen.
Deciding that the only way to reverse the effect will be to return to where it began and wish it back, he makes his way back in time for his next birthday, only to meet up with the female character from the beginning of the tale.
Some nice twists and a clever ending follow.

General - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent)
This book came to the top of my list, hot on the heels of `The Harvesting' by Martyn Ellington, which was spooky in that it dealt with the same underpinning plot, but approached in an entirely different manner. However, like the other book, part of me wanted this to be longer, nearer to novelette than short story (which it works brilliantly as) or maybe even a forerunner to another story.
For me, this was a far more considered read, although minor elements like `what happened to the zoo animals' always sat at the back of my mind, especially as the character is wandering about for a whole year... Having said that, would I have thought it, if it had not been mentioned in the previous book? Perhaps, perhaps not.
Irrespective of any points I felt would have been nice to include, this is a very readable, very recommendable work which I enjoyed and will undoubtedly read again.

Just one question... what happens to everyone else at the end?

Great! Five-star read... Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Story, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Scenario Egg (Kindle Edition)
A nice and refreshing new storyline that had me intrigued from the very start. Kind of reminded me of several enjoyable movie plot lines all intertwined together to bring an original story alive.

The Scenario Egg