Norwegian singer/songwriter Susanne Sundfor pulls out all the stops
with her new album 'The Silicone Veil'. Epic songs for a truly epic
voice. This young woman has a fine set of pipes with the kind of upper
register which makes the blood course faster through our veins and sweat
break out on our brows. These ten tracks have a haunting pulsating presence;
their mesmerising melodic inventions and densely brooding beats framing
vocal performances of quite extraordinary intensity. With nods here and
there to seventies prog-rock and a curiously folksy undertow these songs
have an almost organic quality which lingers magically in our mind's ear.

Take a number like 'Can You Feel The Thunder', a simply stunning composition,
where a rolling piano line and iridescent string arrangement hold Ms Sundfor's
glorious voice aloft like sun breaking through billowing storm clouds. The
instrumental interlude, 'Meditation In An Emegency', which follows maintains
the sublime mood until the grinding riff and driving percussion of 'Among Us',
with its complex harmonies, hits us like a hammer blow between the eyes!
'Rome' is another perfectly-wrought sonic wonder, full of echoing otherworldly
rhythms, shimmering synths and a vocal turn bursting with deftly articulated
emotion. So too the sublimely simple but bewitchingly uplifting introduction
to title title track 'The Silicone Veil' which employs a gently plucked harp to
stunning effect until the full force of the central melody sweeps us clean away.
Best of all, perhaps, is the plaintive 'When'; a song to warm the coldest heart!

A remarkable achievement. The album is deservedly destined for my year's top ten.

44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2012
A very different sound and something new every time I listen. A worth while investment for anyone interested in something new.
on 14 January 2013
Like at least one other reviewer here, I came to this CD via an interview with Dermot O'Leary and one song, the astonishing and almost operatic White Foxes. I still remained unprepared for a glorious collection balancing electronica, piano, harp and more. The fusion strikes me as quite unique, thus rendering the search for a comparable artist as a reference point redundant. My album of 2012 (and I thought I hated electronica!)
on 8 November 2013
Thank you BBC trailer department for using White Foxes on the `Original British Drama trailer' as I might have otherwise never come across this incredible talent, and that would have been tragic.. Okay, OTT maybe, but Susanne Sundfør is one of those artists that makes you feel excited for the medium of music and song. She crafts works that are dense and complex, weaving a constantly changing tapestry of sound, yet they remain accessible and instantly rewarding, however, repeated plays gives the greatest reward, as the songs sink into your soul. Her voice has control, range and power, that is guaranteed to make the hairs on the back of your neck tingle

The Silicone Veil is one of those albums you want to play again as soon as its finished and is nothing short of a triumph... I hope, like me, the BBC trail brings her a new audience, and the recognition she deserves outside of her home country.
on 16 November 2012
I bought the cd after hearing Susanne Sundfør interviewed on the Dermot O'Leary show and him playing one song and I'm so glad I did. I love her voice and the electro pop element of some of the tracks, which surprised me having only heard White Foxes, and the haunting melody of others. However, my partner thinks it's 'ok' and my teenage daughters think it's 'just weird'! Definitely an acquired!
on 22 October 2014
Susanne can do no wrong, my best personal musical discovery since Ladytron. Is it for you? have a look on Youtube where there's plenty of her stuff before writing an irrelevant review about her albums (you know who you are you numpty)
on 20 March 2014
I would like to put this album forward for your consideration, a beautiful voice, quite unique and crystal clear.
Great songwriting, well worth adding to your music collection. Enjoy.
on 18 August 2013
Sublime, dreamy, deep, fulfilling, benchmark, sonic orgasm, bliss, beautiful, emotional, this is why music exists. An extraordinary journey into the musical world of Susanne Sundfør .
on 28 January 2014
My wife asked for this for Yule after hearing the White Foxes track used by the BBC. This CD is very different and takes a few serious listens to really get into it, but this is well worth the effort. Initially White Foxes is the stand out track, but that is only due to the familiarity, once you are into the CD all of the tracks are of the same high quality.

Simply put, we all love this CD, go on give it a try!
on 1 October 2015
Fascinating stuff! Susanne Sundfor has a distinctive style. Definitely worth listening to!