4.0 out of 5 stars That hot summer of fear under the shadow of death
Published 14 months ago by MR K

3.0 out of 5 stars The unkindest cut
A Turkish Cypriot, long resident in London but who has sustained connections with his homeland, Soner Kioufi has written a memoir of his childhood with particular attention paid to 1974 during the Turkish intervention/invasion of the island.

The autobiographical remembrances also include a general outline of events leading up to the partition of the island and...
Published on 8 Oct. 2012 by kindlefan

4.0 out of 5 stars That hot summer of fear under the shadow of death, 19 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Green Line - Holiday in a Warzone - Cyprus 1974 (Kindle Edition)
I'm glad the accounts of the weeks before and after the 1974 conflict were not as violent as I have read elsewhere. What is heart warming is the life-affirming attitude of the protagonist and of his mother. Moreover, being from the 'other' ethnic group, and of the same age in years, my heart empathises with his fears or with those tormented souls such as his sweet grandma. I was only a child myself yet I was sensitive enough to realise from a young age that some how Turkish Cypriots were treated as 2nd class citizens by a vocal minority in the pre 1974 conflict. Such were the times, blind with hatred from some of us, blind from ignorance or pride to the point where we could not see the divine in the eyes of our neighbour- and hence the collective curse of war (crimes) that we have brought upon our heads. Everything in this account is narrated as it was back then and I can relate to it. Amongst the chaos of Hell that was unleashed in 1974, the voice of this little Turkish cypriot manages to find a glimse of heaven in a smile and in the care free activities of childhood. If only Cyprus was left to the children , as adults definitely have yet to cultivate the depth of spirituality that can embrace 'the other side', in themselves and all humanity in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars The stories that matter, 2 May 2013
Thanks Soner. I lived in Cyprus as a child (a British Forces child), actually on the dividing line in Limassol. Here, I first experienced discrimination...against the Turkish people. So saying, I feel there has been such tragedy for both Greek and Turkish Cypriots and to really under stand what has happened we need to hear the true stories and listen to the impact that false nationalism has on the people that get caught up in the battle. Please read this story of one family's experience. You will laugh and you will cry,

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good unbiased story, 21 April 2012
This is a riveting read read, containing an unbiased view of what actually occured during the Summer of 1974 through the eyes of a child, a must have item if you are visiting Northern Cyprus to gain an insight of present situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Child's view, 27 Mar. 2012
This book shows the 1974 war in Cyprus from a child's viewpoint. It is an easy read, but disturbing as well. The 'Cyprus Problem' seems to be unsolvable nearly 40 years on.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Green Line - a must read for anyone visiting Cyprus, 5 May 2012
I really enjoyed this book, I found it both moving and witty. It made me smile and also brought me to tears. Even so, it was a must read for me as a frequent visitor to Cyprus. Short and to the point, I couldn't put it down once I had started reading. The writer tells of his experiences of what happened in Cyprus; what happened to him and his family, when as a boy, he was on holiday from England, visiting extended family during the summer of 1974.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, 5 Sept. 2012
Purchased this book earlier this year. I am addicted to the history of the island of Cyprus having been lucky enough to live out there for over 10 years.

Those long hot summer days of 1974 are captured perfectly by Soner... A holiday which turned into both a nightmare and an adventure. The coup followed by the Turkish peace operation are all seen from a child's
eyes. The memory of my time on the island came flooding back.

The book does not take sides, it is simply a child's view of what was happening at that moment in time.

The book was so good I managed to read it all the way thro on a recent 4 hr flight to Cyprus.

In summary a great read .

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Sept. 2012
I think this is a fantastic book, once I started reading I found it very hard to put down. Highly recommended reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A holiday to remember..., 26 Aug. 2012
A fascinating account, told from a child's viewpoint, of the events immediately prior to, and following the 'Turkish Intervention' in Cyprus.

As I now live in Northern Cyprus, amongst those Turkish Cypriots described in the book, I found the blow-by-blow account, and the matter of fact language used, doubly engaging.

The family background of the young Soner Koufi is sufficient to give the reader a picture of a normal boy, brought up in postwar London by hardworking parents, who suddenly finds himself transplanted to an exotic location, amongst Cousins and other Family that he has never met and can barely understand at first.

As if that were not enough, coupled with the ongoing ethnic conflict, War breaks out!

This is a 'Must Read' for everyone with any interest in Cyprus.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must read, 2 Jun. 2012
I am so happy that this book was recommended to me. It was a marvellous read, absolutely unputdownable, I devoured this book in one sitting. The author writes from the perspective of himself as an 8 year old boy, his memories are clearly set down and are full of humour, mischief, tragedy and loss. I have never recommended a book before but had to do so with this one

4.0 out of 5 stars The Green Line, 11 Sept. 2013
It was really interesting reading this, Being a greek cypriot myself, and having lived in the North of Cyprus at the time of the 1974 invasion, it was good to see what Soner exprienced in the war, a good eye opener.