Corel VideoStudio Pro X5 (PC)
Price:£39.99+£7.00shipping

VINE VOICEon 29 June 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have looked at a whole load of video production programs in the past. Most have had some serious drawbacks.

Until recently, I was using EditStudio, but that is now showing its age. Nero Vision is another favourite, but, alas, it seems to be incompatible with my new laptop: I get no preview of what I am doing.

I came to this program with some apprehension, wondering at what point it would fail me. I was very pleasantly surprised! Each part of the program has been designed with ease of use in mind, but with enough versatility to satisfy most users. For instance, if you use this program to trim and edit your videos, you will find that this is precise to the nearest frame. Not only do you get the normal scrubber to move around but you also get a scrubber wheel for more accurate cutting. The sensitivity of the scrubber can be increased to frame level.

There is a lot to this program. You get a load of features for your money. The manual is almost 200 pages long, and there are tutorials too, plus a lot of downloadable extras. The range of export formats is impressive. The program also fully uses all the capabilities of any modern PC, such as hardware features and multiple processor cores.

A nice touch is the ability to group your favourite features together, for instance, in the attached video you will see that I have grouped my favourite leading and trailing credits together. You can also auto-generate background music in many styles, and get it to fit the length of the video if required.

All in all, as a value for money package, this is unbeatable.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 December 2012
I bought this to edit my home videos that were on old VHS tape. Having got them transferred to DVD I found I couldn't import them into the program. I was a bit worried because I read all sorts of posts on 'vob' files and thought they might be unsupported. I needn't have worried. Corel were excellent and quick in response to my queries and had it sorted in no time - I had to actually tick a box and not just highlight it to get it to work. Something so simple! But I'm such a duffer and new to all this so it was great to find that their support was good.
Now I'm editing away and the software is easy, intuitive and precise. Great extras with transitions and effects too.
Great software at a great price and super support.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It has taken my husband many years of testing and much expense in his quest for the perfect editing software he has used every make known to man and his dog I swear he has.

After many many years in the wilderness finding this was to be his final quest. Its amazing to use his words.

Techically the specifications and blurb are a mystery to me a mere woman but to see a piece of edited video footage he had cut spliced and put together played on the big screen tv was a joy to behold. Together we are now enjoying putting together video footage of our children growing up over the years and its great fun.

My husband had been promising to drop video 0nto disc for many years and had yet to do one, since receiving this software he has been like a man possessed.

Someone else has written in their review that this really is the perfect studio and we agree or at least my husband does, I agree because what make him happy makes me happy and this makes him very happy indeed. It has given him the facility to do something he has wanted to do for a long time but has never had the software he needed to do this to the standard he wanted to with the additions and extras he needed to succeed.

There is a minimum requirement computerwise to run this and make the most of its features. While my computer is not man enough for the job my husbands is more than capable. The software gets the best from the computer in as much as it runs according to the spec the higher the spec the faster it runs and the more accurately with less buffering.

All in all a good piece of software well worth taking a look at. If you have not found what your looking for this could be it, after checking price point Amazon seem to have beaten some of the larger stores pricewise I would recommend this.
on 21 March 2013
I am user of several Videostudio versions, since early 2007 (9, X2 Pro and X5).
I had serious problems with the earlier versions (especially many crashes
during several stages of video editing and problems with synchronization).
The new X5 is MUCH better in these points. And also VERY fast in 64 bit machines.
I didn't mentioned event a single crash during the first and most important stages
of video editing.
But, here are the minus points:
1. The program, often, does not respond (usually temporary, but sometimes permanently)
in the final stages (Create Disk). Sometimes it dissapears suddenly from the screen.
And in some cases, after rendering, the created video isn't smooth in some
short points (some frames are repeated for unknown reasons).
2. The "zoom" button has been placed into the right side of the panel.
That makes me to move often the mouse over a long distance: right-left-right-left
and it makes me nervous. I prefer the old location of the X2 version.
3. After so many years of improving videostudio, it is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE that
it's still IMPOSSIBLE to work presicely with Gamma, Brightness, Saturation etc!!
There is no +- button for more or less value. We have to PULL the button with
the mouse to change the value. That makes very difficult or even impossible to
make small and precise changes, like +1 or -1, etc.
I's also impossible to copy/paste text into subtitles, or to change the size of
multiple subtitles simultaneously!
This is, in general, why i evaluate this program with -3 stars.
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First, I want to emphasise something: this software has the best 'pan & scan' feature on the market (and I've tried just about every package there is).

I have been using Corel VideoStudio for a long time now, and I consider them to be market leaders. Although I've had problems with previous versions that have struggled to cope, even with my modern, fast pc. I have installed X5 Pro on my laptop and the performance is very decent.

What is the product?
Essentially, Video Studio Pro X5 is a simple, but highly effective and reliable editing package that concentrates on the important stuff: cutting, adding enhancements, improving picture quality, creating a project, and saving to a range of formats.

Ironically, this product DOES come with a comprehensive manual when it is probably simple enough for most people to master via trial and error. It's 'ironic' because I've used software from similar companies who provide a lot less instruction for a more complicated programme.

What can I expect?
- import your video clips in a fast and easy manner (no endless waiting while the software tries to process it)
- clear and easy to view timeline
- add text and images with ease
- create impressive transitions
- spice up photographs with the best 'pan & scan' on the market
- save projects in a multitude of formats and quality settings
- edit and split audio easily

The smart proxy feature allows the preview pane to show a compressed version of your footage, to allow smoother viewing. This takes a while to work but generally it copes well, while other packages for a similar price often fail.
on 23 April 2013
The need for a a decent alternative to adobes software was required to complete a university project at home and this was found to
be a good as adobe for film editing ,music sync and the overall polish required to collate all my media into a great production that gained a high make on a degree course,so it would definitely cover anyone just wanting a cheap easy to use editing program
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I must admit to being a complete novice when comes to video editing software, so my review may less than proactive. That said I made a number short holiday videos that definitely need editing and a general `spruce up'. So far I am having great time toying with the special effects suite. I rather like the idea that you can record stuff off the desktop, another useful feature.

All in all I am impressed with the number editing tools available. I also like the fact that proprietary formats are varied and that you are not tied in to a small a mutually exclusive set of saveable formats.

Unlike some software, this edition comes with a handy real paper user guide, always a plus point for me as I find it easier to read of paper as opposed to PC screen.

A nice user friendly piece of kit, for me it is worth a four star rating.
on 20 December 2012
Luckily I have only downloaded the trial version,(30 day trial version is full function)
main problem is that it wont burn DVD's or anything else in that drop down menu, program gives error message then crashes, It doesn't recognise some of my AVI video files unless I convert them,
Also the editing of sound files leaves a lot to be desired
Have been on the forum to try and get DVD burning sorted, but nothing works, no one seems to have a clue what's wrong,I have a fairly high end spec PC, 4.2 ghz Quad core Windows XP 32 bit

Back up from Ulead? Forget it! Unless you want to pay for technical support!
If you are lucky and it is compatible with everything you are using, ok, if not forget it,
am just trying a couple of alternative programs, they work fine, Burn DVDs and recognise all my files,
on 2 November 2012
I have for a few years used Adobe 8 and then Adobe 10 i have only just started with Corelpro x5 and am still learning its secrets but so far it is the best for ease of use,quality and stability,i take up to 3 hours of AVCHD quality movies at a time to edit and burn to Bluray and as my title am over the moon.
on 12 October 2013
I recently purchased this software. When I got I loaded it and registered with Corel (hopefully) for back up. I never got to use the product, it produced (what I believe is called) a "dump error" message (referred to in other review herein).The program effectively produced an error message which I relayed to Digitville U.S (from where the product was supplied from).

If the product was a good product I never got to find out because Corel`s (Digitalville or what ever you want to call them)reply was so complicated it was impossible for a computer literate average person to understand. The support people are not willing it seems to speak on the phone. In the past the few problems I have had with software have been easily resolved by this method. Corel`s "support" would send you very long emails with suggested solutions, the solutions which were very complicatedly worded and which the said "computer literate" person could not reasonable understand.

A most unpleasant feature or Corel`s support emails was the patronising language used. As if you were some kind of idiot for not understanding their words of wisdom.

I tried to tell this U.S high handed company about what we ("misguided") Brits have by way of a safeguard in the Sale of Goods legislation, for what good it did (I thought consumers were king in U.S !).Other issues were problems with Amazon making clear what is a "third part" seller, making it clear product came from U.S (relevant to return product cost) and other issues with Amazon.

Having sent the product back to the U.S. (and being out of pocket £36.00 for product and nearly £20 for both way postage cost), having spent hours sending emails (and receiving insulting ones from the U.S), having no video editing software to edit my wife and I`s Ruby wedding holiday NO I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU AVOID COREL PRODUCTS LIKE A VERY INFECTIOUS DISEASE.

See one answered question