5.0 out of 5 stars Killer stories....
Published 10 months ago by Bonemonkey

3.0 out of 5 stars A MIXED BAG
I downloaded this for free and read all of the stories so I can't say I didn't get value for money but at the same time I felt a little short changed. I felt the author spent too much time in each story explaining what has happened instead of driving the story forward. Back-stories dominated much of these tales and I skim-read most of them just to find out how the stories...
Published 14 months ago by JACKAMY

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer stories...., 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Lamb Chops and Chainsaws: Nine Disturbing Short Stories about the Darker Side of Human Nature (Vol. 1) (Kindle Edition)
As the title suggests, this collection focuses on the sometimes random, sometimes pre-planned evil actions of everyday people. There are no supernatural forces or beings, or superhuman powers (unless imagined or fantasised about). On the whole these stories are pretty good. The only mild annoyance was that two of the stories near the middle (no prizes for guessing which two) were basically the same story, but with different characters and slightly altered details (both stand up in their own right, just not sure why they are together).
Although fairly grim for the most part, there is also an element of humour. In at least two stories the "bad" man's plans backfire, leaving him with egg on his face in one form or another. In another (my favourite of the collection), the teachers attitude towards her pupils and those around her is quite comical (with regular references to "The little B******s", or "The B****"), despite the grim reality of her life, and the effects of abuse that she herself suffered as a child.
The stories are as follows -

1) Sod's Law (8/10) A start-up serial killer finds that the best laid plans.....
2) The Last Straw (7/10) After 50 years of marriage, an old man decides that enough is enough.
3) The Lord is My Shepherd (8/10) When a boy misbehaves at school, his mother has some dark revelations.
4) Shattered Childhood (7/10) A hit-woman recalls the events that made her what she is.
5) No Conscience (7/10) A hit-man recalls the events that made him what he is.
6) Dirty Little Animals (10/10) A damaged teacher decides to go out with a bang, but plans one final lesson first.
7) The Red Mist-ake (8/10) A serial killer bites of more than he can chew, resulting in a deadly chain(saw) of events.
8) Like A Son (7/10) A double crossed sniper suddenly finds himself the target.
9) The A-List (8/10) A serial killer gets ready for his media debut, but he may not have covered all the angles.

All the stories are easy to read with nothing too extreme or gut wrenching. I will definitely consider getting the second volume which is also less than a pound on Kindle, which can't be bad. If you fancy some killer stories with a small twist of humour, then give this a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lamb chops & chainsaws, 8 April 2014
This book is interesting, to say the least. You can't imagine what goes on in people's minds, what makes them do sick things to others. This collection of stories certainly worth reading if you like grizzly horrific reads..

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 7 Feb 2014
Brilliant book with a twist to every story couldn't put the book down so lost a nights sleep.I will be reading the book again

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, creepy, creepy!, 2 Jan 2014
I really liked this book, each story was an interesting read and some were downright scary. I will quite happily read this over and over. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Dec 2013
An excellent collection of short stories with a twist at the end. Especially enjoyed the last story, lots of blood and gore which is right up my street.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good holiday read, 18 Aug 2013
R. Dalton - See all my reviews
I am writing a book of short horror stories myself, so for research purposes I downloaded a load of books to my Kindle, while on holiday.Out of all the authors I downloaded, Glen Johnson's, books stood out. I think a short story should be something that captures your interest quickly and easily without any great effort on your part. These stories did just that.I was going to give both books I downloaded a five star review but changed my mind when I started this. Why? I might be being petty here, I hope I'm not but when I came to write this I had to go through the title list to recall the stories. I wouldn't let that put you off though, as there is a good chance its my failing memory. As I say my overriding memory was enjoying the stories and thinking they were really good value for money. The other book of Glen Johnson's I downloaded was I think, Lobsters and Landmines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully horrifying, 10 Aug 2013
Truly, i have not read such an exceptional book in a long time. Curiously written, leaving tge reader to ponder on the horror for hours to come. Phenomenal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific short stories...., 28 July 2013
A colleague once told me you will never truly know someone.It is true, my husband did things behind my back that i will never know about after twenty years of marriage i only know of some.This book could be scarily accurate in certain people and i am glad i cannot read minds.Some of the stories could indeed have occured in the twisted minds of some individuals.One only has to visit one of the many state hospitals in Britain to see what has passed with individuals.Carstairs,Scotlands only one is bleak on the inside as well as out.All i can say is so well done Glen,am so looking forward to reading lobsters and landmines x

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but quality horror., 27 May 2013
Andrew Humphrey (Chatham, Kent, England.) - See all my reviews
Yeah, really enjoyed these stories. Entertaining, and the reader doesn't have to concentrate too hard and for less than 1 the lover of modern horror can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 22 May 2013
I really enjoyed this book. This writer has a fantastic imagination. I would definitely recommend this read. Cannot wait to read his other books. He is unique.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›