Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 29 July 2015
I gave this book 5 stars because it gripped me from stArt to finish. I have read many book s of this genre but this account took me right into the world Judith encountered. Throughout the book I felt her joy, anquish, pain and loneliness. I have visited Autswich and the book took me right into how people lived - I was not sure if it was a true account or not but felt sure this was how it must have been. Judith wAs a remarkable young lady and the book takes us through all the good and bad times in her life . I would have liked to have known how she moved on in her life but the ending was a new beginning for her. I do recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in this genre.
on 21 November 2012
I absolutely loved this book. I have mostly only read about the holacoust in history books and seen it on TV and never before did I truly realize just how devasting and horrendous and deplorable the situation was. It feels so different to learn about it from someone who actually went through it and survived as opposed to just a bland narrator. I was so inspired by Judith. I cried and laughed. I liked the simplistic writing because I felt that it was told exactly the way it was as opposed to being formatted by a ghost writer. I would love to know more about Edith's life after liberation. Does anyone know where there may be more info on her?
on 10 April 2013
An extremely moving story. Edith writes about herself in the third party, as a girl called Judith. The book started rather poorly, and Ididn't think I was going to like it. However in it's simplistic way, it quickly draws you in and becomes obsessively gripping.
Life in the ghetto before transportation to the concentration camps was particularly well documented and gave a fascinating, terrible insight. Unfortunately this was only the begining.......
A superb book, which I highly recommend.
on 14 September 2014
Absolutely riveting, I would guess that Edith Hofmann experienced every thing that happened personally. This is her autobiography without a doubt. How she survived this can only be a miracle of perseverance of the human spirit. What Germany did to Europe in WWII was a disgrace and should never be forgotten, to forget your history is to be condemned to repeat it. You feel the whole gamut of emotions reading this "novel". Her strength in the face of adversity was remarkable. Heartily recommend!
on 12 January 2013
This book should be read by everyone and feature in schools as well, I learnt so much from it even though I had a great aunt who died in Auchwitz, its a must read, I can't speak highly enough of it. It takes a couple of chapters to get going and then you just cant put it down, it shows how much the human body can take and how you can survive with a special spirit, but also goes to show how one country can be so cruel to another. Wonderful book, thank you
on 10 June 2013
I have a bit of a thing for biographies (of 'normal/not famous' people) & world war II.
I found this book after searching for WWII books and other peoples reviews made it one I *had* to read.
It didn't disappoint. So well written and the way she tells her story it gripped me.
It's always a sobering reminder of the horrors war (& life) puts people through but the strength people [she] shows throughout the book is amazing x
on 21 February 2015
This book is a fantastic read. Without the knowledge and facts it is difficult to appreciate what horrors the prisoners of war have to survive and try to live through. We must never forget or let such atrocities be repeated.

The bravery and courage by thousands has to be recognised and never ever forgotten this books is a remarkable account and a read that will live with you forever. Thank you.
on 9 November 2012
I admired the story of Edith Hofmann's fight for survival. What an amazing woman. This book was written in novel form of her teenage years surviving the most appalling conditions in the ghetto and death camps. This book will make you cry. If you've not much of an idea what happened to the jews, this book is a must. Edith Hofmann had incredible determination and courage.
on 2 April 2013
I read a lot about the holocaust and a lot of books are very similar but this book is fantastic a real look into the suffering endured by innocent people caught up in a world that we cannot even begin to imagine we should never let the generations that follow us forget the horrors that were unleashed by a madman and his brainwashed followers
on 21 June 2013
This book gives the reader a true feeling of a journey that no human should have to endure. It goes deeper into the hatred that both sides eventually felt towards each other and leaves you drained of emotion. It is an education in the trauma inflicted by one race on another and the battle of survival against terrible odds.