5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Actifry
Published 22 months ago by Jaq

3.0 out of 5 stars Breville Halo Fryer to buy or not to buy (update) not to buy
I bought the Breville Halo Fryer a few days ago.
I had read all the reviews on Amazon.
After being a lover of the actifry, but had to admit although they do what they say the actifry is badly designed.

So I as my last Actifry had just gone in the bin, I decided to give the Breville a try.

The Breville arrived and it was well packed as...
Published 16 months ago by Vanessa

3.0 out of 5 stars Breville Halo Fryer to buy or not to buy (update) not to buy, 30 Nov 2012
Vanessa "Vanessa Holmes" (South of France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Breville VDF065 Halo Health Fryer, 1 Kg, 1200 Watt - White (Kitchen & Home)
I bought the Breville Halo Fryer a few days ago.
I had read all the reviews on Amazon.

The Breville arrived and it was well packed as expected.
Once out of the box I noticed that compared to the Actifry it was more solidly built.
The materials used where of better standard and quality.
The Breville looks smart and although is a bit larger than the Actifry, i like the look of this machine.

After reading the instructions I decided to cook some chips with real potatoes not frozen.

I placed my chips in the Breville after rinsing them and patting them dry.
I put in the required amount of oil.
Set the timer and off it started.
No problem at first, but within a couple of minutes, the paddle began to stall, it was struggling to push the chips around.
I took the chips out and put them back in again, ensuring the paddle was place inside properly, but still had the same problem. In the end I had to take out the paddle and let the chips cook without the paddle.
This meant that every few minutes i had to open the machine and shake the chips to ensure they were cooked evenly.
The chips in my opinion were far better than the ones out of my old Actifry.

I have now contacted Amazon who are sending out a replacement. I am hoping that the one I have is faulty and the replacement will work fine.

I will post an update when I have tried the new machine.

UPDATE AFTER REPLACEMENT RECEIVED.

well i was expecting better.

The new Breville Halo arrived. i was hoping that the first one was faulty.
It seems that this is not the case.

The paddle still seems to be the problem.
I tried to do chips again, but they started to turn to mush or mash very quickly.
So I decided to try parsnips, which I think are a bit more robust.

in they went and within a minute or two the paddle could not cope. this was not a mass amount of parsnips, this was one parsnip cut into strips. if you like mush chips and mush veg, then this is the machine for you. i prefer my chips to look like chips and my roast parsnips to resemble roast parsnips.

So here is my verdict.

Pros & Cons for both machines.

I will start with the Actifry.

1. Smaller and less bulky than the Breville

2. Does actually cook chips and veg without turning them into mash

3. Takes approx 20 mins to cook proper chips

4. The material used to make this machine is in my opinion is cheap and substandard
I.e

The lid has a tendency to break off at either the opening catch or the fixing which attaches it to the machine,
The paddle after a few months becomes brittle and will break.
The rubber under the paddle disintegrates
The lid which is supposed to let you look at you food cooking, distorts in colour, making viewing hard.

All the above said the machine does cook the food properly.

Now to the Breville.

1. Bulkier than the Actifry.
2 a more solid machine very robust.
3. Materials used are in my opinion far superior apart from the paddle.
4. Actually takes approx 30 mins to cook real chips.
5. The only problem I see with this machine is that for some reason they have skimped on the paddle. A child could have designed it better. I for one can see where the problem is. The paddle does not need the long black piece of plastic it sits on. No use or purpose.
If the paddle was independent to the machine then it would work fine in my opinion.

So the decision is yours.

My comments to the manufacturers

I for one will be going back to the Actifry, not because it is better quality because it is not, shame on you Tefal, but because it works. Although replacement parts are expensive.
Tefal you need to ask yourselves why you need to supply replacements parts, could it be that the material you are using is of poor quality. I rest my case.

Breville.
Why on earth have you made such a robust machine with a substandard paddle. Maybe you were trying to get a piece of the action to early. . You should have waited until you sorted out the paddle.

Again ladies and gentlemen. The choice is yours.

I hope this helped.

20/12/2012. Update
I decided as I said above to go back to the Actifry, but not the 1kg Actifry the family Actifry 1.5kg. The more expensive model.
See my review on the 1.5kg Actifry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Actifry, 29 Jun 2012
Jaq (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
Great alternative to my actifry which as predicted, broke after one year's intensive useage. I miss my actifry but decided to give the Halo a go and I'm very pleased. It cooks in the same way but is a bit easier to clean AND you can take out the paddle for cooking delicate food like Salmon*. *This is what I've heard, I only ever cook chips in it to be honest and I use fry lite instead of oil for even lower fat chips. Cooks oven chips to perfection without having burnt bits / raw bits (you can go off and watch telly and forget about them). Great for dieters, have lost 7 1/2 stone with slimming world and this is perfect for syn free chips.

I know it's expensive BUT you can't put a price on your health!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, great chips, great food from an impressive Fryer, 15 May 2012
Rob Smith "Rob" (North Wales coast near Conwy) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Breville is an impressive looking piece of equipment, a fair size you need a bit of space for it, bigger than a normal chip fat fryer.

I have used a standard Halo oven (cheap brand), It is in our caravan and works superbly well, I thought if the Breville was half as good it would be superb

First thing we tried was chips as they are the perfect bench mark to show how good it is, the best thing is the Halo has a paddle which keeps the food moving so they are cooked evenly.

You then place them in to a bowl with a half table spoon of vegetable oil, using you fingers or spoon mix the chips so they are covered with the oil, then you set the fryer to approximately 20 minutes, the fryer then quietly cooks them, the paddle keeps the cooking even, unlike some other fryers where you need to shake them during cooking, first results were okay, the more try's you have the better they got, both fresh spuds and frozen chips cooked very well, after our fourth attempt they were very impressive, the chips were evenly cooked, and just the right crispness, they reminded me a little of oven chips as you don't get any soaked in fat.

I am a vegetarian and use a lot of the meat substitute products such as the veggie sausages and burgers, these cooked very well in the fryer, better than grilling or normal frying, found Quorn cooked cooked better than I have ever tried, I'm not that keen on the Quorn fillets but this cooked it in a way that made it fall apart, lovely.

Big saving on the oil, we tend to buy a quality oil rather than the cheapest as you don't use much and it goes along way, plus the health benefits are massive.

The best thing is the fryer was still very clean afterwards, no fat to get rid of.

It includes a roasting rack to cook delicate items such as fish, a measuring spoon and cooking guide with recipes

I am very impressed and equally pleased with the Halo-fryer, only grumble is its big and needs a fair bit of space.

A great product from a company that makes quality items that do what they say they will.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT TOO HAPPY WITH IT ( HALO ), 12 Dec 2012
CANNOT GET MY CHIPS TO BROWN SOMEHOW, THE PADDLE KEEPS JUMPING AND BREAKING THE CHIPS UP AND IT IS VERY HARD TO WASH THE PADDLE COVERED WITH THE BITS OF CHIPS AND REALLY STUCK ON,,HAVE GONE BACK TO MY OLDFASHIONED CHIPPER

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fryer which Delivers on Health and Taste, 15 May 2012
Eugene Onegin (Lincoln England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you are thinking of investing in a health fryer then this Breville model will certainly be a strong contender. The Halo Health Fryer offers all the essential features most potential purchasers will be looking for: firstly a device which is easy to use with clear instructions. Secondly, one which is very easy to clean so that you don't spend more time washing it than cooking with it. Thirdly and most importantly this machine gives you the rich, full flavour of fried food with a minimum of oil. The claim that you only need one spoon of oil is true and the food that emerges at the end of the cooking process is dry in the best sense of the word with no oil or fat clinging to the food. So far we have cooked chicken, fish and chips all with great success although apparently you can also do things like baked potatoes in it. If you have people in the family with health issues like high cholesterol or diabetes like we do, then this really does open up the possibility of enjoying foods that seemed lost to you. However, everyone can benefit from the taste and lower fat content food that can be prepared in this fryer. To give you some idea of cooking times, a serving of chips for 3 or 4 people will take 30 minutes to cook-not particularly fast, but well worth waiting for if the chips are as good as this. Over the years, we have bought many kitchen gadgets and quite a lot are now gathering dust in the back of cupboards-not this one though. This is a device which will become a regular feature of our kitchen equipment and if you are looking at the price tag and wondering if you will get your money's worth from it, then you can buy with confidence on this occasion. Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Load of rubbish, 28 Jun 2012
S. Bradford (mablethorpe) - See all my reviews
I have always owned an actifry and use mainly for chips but after having two thought may try this halo as looked better. When first used it was lovely and quiet and was really impressed as actifry is noisier, but I was very dissapointed whne chips were finished after the 30 mins of cooking time, some were still raw and some were completely broken up and paddle was all gunged up with potato, I followed all instructions for chip size etc.

I tried it again the enxt day and chips were the same but this time the paddle kept getting stuck and making a awful noise, which meant I had to empty contents and start again which I had to do twice before it finally decided to work although the chips came out as before in a mushy mess.

I decided to email breville and ask if there was a problem with the fryers that they were aware of, they just steered me back to amazon who I bought it off and never answered my question.

I returned the product and had a replacement hoping that the first one was just faulty, well it wasnt as the second one does excatly the same and I spend the first 5 mins of cooking time having to release the stuck paddle, so this one is going back too, I am going to have a refund and go back to an actifry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breville "Fryer", 10 May 2012
Must admit,I was a little sceptical when we bought it. Over the years we have accumulated a few small appliances that have ended up having short term novelty value, but she who must be obeyed wanted one...... I am happy to say we are getting our moneys worth. Proper chips and other food (like salmon, steak, vegetables) keep flavour and most importantly a moistness that you don't get with grills etc. Money well spent!

4.0 out of 5 stars breville v tefal, 10 May 2012
We purchased the breville halo after puchasing 2 tefal actifrys both of which have broken and the very high cost of repairs meant it was just uneconomical to do so and were looking for an alternative.
The halo does the same job as the actifry but is better by design and the food tastes better.The ony niggle I have with it is the lid as sometimes it does not activate the halo and you have to open and close it again,that is the only problem I have found to date.Breville VDF065 Halo Health Fryer, 1 Kg, 1200 Watt, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have given 5 stars... (additional updates added), 23 Aug 2012
I almost returned my Halo because when i first bought it, I found that the paddle tends to squash the chips rather than move them (hence 4 stars and not 5). BUT- since I have discovered how amazingly it cooks everything, I love it and it's the central cooking method in my kitchen. Apart from my electricity monitor showing it uses around 60% less energy than the oven, the food seems to heat all the way through, piping hot, in a way ovens sometimes don't quite manage.

I just don't use the paddle at all now and there is no more squashed potato as chips come out really lovely and crispy. I just have to stir them around myself once or twice. I also use a maximum of 1 teaspoon of oil as I found a whole tbsp to be too much; I put the chips in a freezer bag and shake them in the oil or I spray the oil onto them using a mister. Either way, they come out great as long as I don't use the paddle. I use the Halo to cook everything from burgers and potato wedges to curries and fajitas and they have all come out wonderfully. It just took me a few weeks to work out how best to use it for my family's preferences and now we're all hooked!

UPDATE: Just returned as the fan started making a very loud noise when starting a cooking session. Shame as I have used it a fair bit as it cooks fajitas perfectly and 'roasted' veg (without the silly paddle which is useless)comes out almost tasting grilled which is lovely. I've also cooked stews in there too, it's pretty versatile.

Not sure what will happen next so will update with timeline of events if need be.

So far:

25/3/13 returned

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! I just want to show it off!, 6 Jun 2012
Laura Smith (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, I have to admit... 2 months down the line and I have only ever cooked various potatoes in this. I know, it's a travesty, and I keep thinking I must try something else - after all, the beauty of this fryer is its versatility! But oh, wait till you taste the chips it makes... they are sooo sooo good, I keep inviting friends round just so I can cook them some! We've also done potato wedges and roast potatoes in this, and they all taste amazing, and with so little oil it seems impossible! This is worth the price even if you are as lazy as me and only cook spuds in it! I used to eat oven chips but it's so much cheaper to buy a big bag af spuds. 2 mid sized potatoes makes enough chips for a serving, all you have to do is peel, chop, rinse in water and dry off, then bung them into the fryer, trickle a little oil over then, stick it on for 30-35 mins depending on how crispy you want them, and leave it to do its thing. Try different oils and seasonings, you'll soon find a firm favourite - I love chilli oil! This is my absolute favourite kitchen gadget.

ARRAY(0xb2ec96a8)