5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Actifry
Published on 29 Jun 2012 by Jaq

3.0 out of 5 stars Breville Halo Fryer to buy or not to buy (update) not to buy
I bought the Breville Halo Fryer a few days ago.
I had read all the reviews on Amazon.
After being a lover of the actifry, but had to admit although they do what they say the actifry is badly designed.

So I as my last Actifry had just gone in the bin, I decided to give the Breville a try.

The Breville arrived and it was well packed as...
Published 20 months ago by Vanessa

3.0 out of 5 stars Breville Halo Fryer to buy or not to buy (update) not to buy, 30 Nov 2012
Vanessa "Vanessa Holmes" (South of France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Breville VDF065 Halo Health Fryer, 1 Kg, 1200 Watt - White (Kitchen & Home)
I bought the Breville Halo Fryer a few days ago.
I had read all the reviews on Amazon.

The Breville arrived and it was well packed as expected.
Once out of the box I noticed that compared to the Actifry it was more solidly built.
The materials used where of better standard and quality.
The Breville looks smart and although is a bit larger than the Actifry, i like the look of this machine.

After reading the instructions I decided to cook some chips with real potatoes not frozen.

I placed my chips in the Breville after rinsing them and patting them dry.
I put in the required amount of oil.
Set the timer and off it started.
No problem at first, but within a couple of minutes, the paddle began to stall, it was struggling to push the chips around.
I took the chips out and put them back in again, ensuring the paddle was place inside properly, but still had the same problem. In the end I had to take out the paddle and let the chips cook without the paddle.
This meant that every few minutes i had to open the machine and shake the chips to ensure they were cooked evenly.
The chips in my opinion were far better than the ones out of my old Actifry.

I have now contacted Amazon who are sending out a replacement. I am hoping that the one I have is faulty and the replacement will work fine.

I will post an update when I have tried the new machine.

UPDATE AFTER REPLACEMENT RECEIVED.

well i was expecting better.

The new Breville Halo arrived. i was hoping that the first one was faulty.
It seems that this is not the case.

The paddle still seems to be the problem.
I tried to do chips again, but they started to turn to mush or mash very quickly.
So I decided to try parsnips, which I think are a bit more robust.

in they went and within a minute or two the paddle could not cope. this was not a mass amount of parsnips, this was one parsnip cut into strips. if you like mush chips and mush veg, then this is the machine for you. i prefer my chips to look like chips and my roast parsnips to resemble roast parsnips.

So here is my verdict.

Pros & Cons for both machines.

I will start with the Actifry.

1. Smaller and less bulky than the Breville

2. Does actually cook chips and veg without turning them into mash

3. Takes approx 20 mins to cook proper chips

4. The material used to make this machine is in my opinion is cheap and substandard
I.e

The lid has a tendency to break off at either the opening catch or the fixing which attaches it to the machine,
The paddle after a few months becomes brittle and will break.
The rubber under the paddle disintegrates
The lid which is supposed to let you look at you food cooking, distorts in colour, making viewing hard.

All the above said the machine does cook the food properly.

Now to the Breville.

1. Bulkier than the Actifry.
2 a more solid machine very robust.
3. Materials used are in my opinion far superior apart from the paddle.
4. Actually takes approx 30 mins to cook real chips.
5. The only problem I see with this machine is that for some reason they have skimped on the paddle. A child could have designed it better. I for one can see where the problem is. The paddle does not need the long black piece of plastic it sits on. No use or purpose.
If the paddle was independent to the machine then it would work fine in my opinion.

So the decision is yours.

My comments to the manufacturers

I for one will be going back to the Actifry, not because it is better quality because it is not, shame on you Tefal, but because it works. Although replacement parts are expensive.
Tefal you need to ask yourselves why you need to supply replacements parts, could it be that the material you are using is of poor quality. I rest my case.

Breville.
Why on earth have you made such a robust machine with a substandard paddle. Maybe you were trying to get a piece of the action to early. . You should have waited until you sorted out the paddle.

Again ladies and gentlemen. The choice is yours.

I hope this helped.

20/12/2012. Update
I decided as I said above to go back to the Actifry, but not the 1kg Actifry the family Actifry 1.5kg. The more expensive model.
See my review on the 1.5kg Actifry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Actifry, 29 Jun 2012
Jaq (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
Great alternative to my actifry which as predicted, broke after one year's intensive useage. I miss my actifry but decided to give the Halo a go and I'm very pleased. It cooks in the same way but is a bit easier to clean AND you can take out the paddle for cooking delicate food like Salmon*. *This is what I've heard, I only ever cook chips in it to be honest and I use fry lite instead of oil for even lower fat chips. Cooks oven chips to perfection without having burnt bits / raw bits (you can go off and watch telly and forget about them). Great for dieters, have lost 7 1/2 stone with slimming world and this is perfect for syn free chips.

I know it's expensive BUT you can't put a price on your health!

4.0 out of 5 stars Paddle is no problem for me, 28 Oct 2013
I was able to try somebody else's machine whilst house sitting. I'm not a fan of fried food or the stench of oil and grease, but I do like a gadget!

I cooked chunky shop bought chips on my first go and they turned out so beautifully crisp and tasty I was very impressed - enough to buy a machine for my own kitchen.I have since done root veg, chips from scratch and various other bits and bobs.

The instruction book has some recepies for dishes which are a bit less 'fry' so it is really like a small capacity halogen oven. I love that it stirs as it cooks, unlike a regular halogen oven.

Which brings me to the paddle... So far I have obeyed the very specific guide in the manual on the variety of potato to use and preparation method of the chip - although I add the oil to the chips before placing in the bowl and I also add salt at this stage because at the end of the cooking time the salt will just fall to the plate rather than on to the chip as they are so low fat. I have had no episodes of 'mash' or paddle sticking which may be due to the design having been updated or the fact that I only make a maximum of 10 potatoes worth of chips. I could certainly see the paddle being a problem if attempting to cook for a family or a decently sized blow out binge portion of chips!

If you look at this as more of a healthy/efficient cooking machine rather than putting the emphasis on Fryer, you might be slightly impressed. If you're living in a deep fat fryer world, then I really don't think this is the product for you. Personally, I love it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Load of rubbish, 28 Jun 2012
S. Bradford (mablethorpe) - See all my reviews
I have always owned an actifry and use mainly for chips but after having two thought may try this halo as looked better. When first used it was lovely and quiet and was really impressed as actifry is noisier, but I was very dissapointed whne chips were finished after the 30 mins of cooking time, some were still raw and some were completely broken up and paddle was all gunged up with potato, I followed all instructions for chip size etc.

I tried it again the enxt day and chips were the same but this time the paddle kept getting stuck and making a awful noise, which meant I had to empty contents and start again which I had to do twice before it finally decided to work although the chips came out as before in a mushy mess.

I decided to email breville and ask if there was a problem with the fryers that they were aware of, they just steered me back to amazon who I bought it off and never answered my question.

I returned the product and had a replacement hoping that the first one was just faulty, well it wasnt as the second one does excatly the same and I spend the first 5 mins of cooking time having to release the stuck paddle, so this one is going back too, I am going to have a refund and go back to an actifry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Eating, 30 Oct 2013
Nannywitch (Canary Islands) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Health Fryer with a gift voucher given to me for my wedding anniversary and I have not been disappointed with it. It enables me to cook chips and roast potatoes with virtually no oil at all. They have all been successful and tasty, now I am moving onto cooking other food in my cooker. It is a nice looking piece of kitchen equipment and does not look out of place in my very modern kitchen. I would recommend this to my friends and in fact I shall be purchasing one for my son and daughter - in - law for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Oct 2013
After having my gall bladder removed I was advised to reduce the fat content in my food and this has been excellent in helping me with a healthier diet. Even my husband loves using it

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanastic, 27 Sep 2013
I love this, it can do so much and is easy to clean which is a bonus. So far I've only done Jacket spuds, chicken coujons and beefburgers in it but they are so tasty. Still got to try chips in it but will soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent on second attempt, 5 Mar 2013
I read the mixed reviews on this product compared to the Actifry as our actifry lasted but the lid broke (latches) and the arm inside broke. I wanted something a bit more versatile than just able to make chips. The first one got delivery in a timely fashion, I have to admit it is well constructed and quiet when in use.

I test a small portion of chips and that's when I noticed the paddle started to mangle the chips, to be fair on the product I gave it a coupe of goes with different types of frozen chips, as I thought the size might matter. The steak chips I cooked last came out as crispy mash potatoes. In the picture I have only 4 chips made it through the process. The paddle kept jamming and it made an awful noise when it did. This fryer got returned.

The second fryer arrived, I immediately noticed the arm of the paddle sat very close to the bowl and the paddles arm operated much better. I cooked a test portion of chips and not one got mangled, we have done wedges, beef stroganoff and a full 4 person family portion of chips all done to perfection without the mutilation previously experienced. Nice crisp light and fluffy chips!!

One point of interest for buyers. don't fully fit the handle into the paddle as this makes storage easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fryer which Delivers on Health and Taste, 15 May 2012
Eugene Onegin (Lincoln England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you are thinking of investing in a health fryer then this Breville model will certainly be a strong contender. The Halo Health Fryer offers all the essential features most potential purchasers will be looking for: firstly a device which is easy to use with clear instructions. Secondly, one which is very easy to clean so that you don't spend more time washing it than cooking with it. Thirdly and most importantly this machine gives you the rich, full flavour of fried food with a minimum of oil. The claim that you only need one spoon of oil is true and the food that emerges at the end of the cooking process is dry in the best sense of the word with no oil or fat clinging to the food. So far we have cooked chicken, fish and chips all with great success although apparently you can also do things like baked potatoes in it. If you have people in the family with health issues like high cholesterol or diabetes like we do, then this really does open up the possibility of enjoying foods that seemed lost to you. However, everyone can benefit from the taste and lower fat content food that can be prepared in this fryer. To give you some idea of cooking times, a serving of chips for 3 or 4 people will take 30 minutes to cook-not particularly fast, but well worth waiting for if the chips are as good as this. Over the years, we have bought many kitchen gadgets and quite a lot are now gathering dust in the back of cupboards-not this one though. This is a device which will become a regular feature of our kitchen equipment and if you are looking at the price tag and wondering if you will get your money's worth from it, then you can buy with confidence on this occasion. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to use, 31 Oct 2012
Pop spuds - chipped or cut up or whatever - or veg, or onions or a mixture with the teeniest bit of oil, shut the lit and let it get on with it. I prefer it without the paddle which can be slightly vigorous and stir a few times by hand instead but either way it's a real time and fat saver.