on 12 February 2013
I'm not sure if you can still get the official versions of these devices, but those that appear to be the official ones here on Amazon are knock-offs (according to customer reviews) and so is this one. I decided to take a gamble on this hitherto unreviewed receiver at less than half the price of the more popular one.

The device works on my 64-bit Windows 8 desktop machine, after following the instructions to download and install drivers at the bottom of this review.

The only downside, for which it drops a star, seems to be that reception is a bit weak, it has a tendency to disconnect my joypad from time to time if it is tucked away - certainly range is much poorer than an actual Xbox 360, but fortunately the device has quite a long USB cable so it can be put in an unobstructed spot.

== SETUP INSTRUCTIONS ==

(Originally by Steel Frog)

To download these drivers, head to Microsoft's Windows 7 driver support page. From the pulldown menus, select Controller, Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, Windows 7 (or vista) 64-bit, and the language of your choice.

Download and install as prompted, then move on to the next step.

Plug in your wireless receiver if you have yet to do so. The driver installation is a little deep within several of Windows' layers, so follow this guide carefully. This is assuming you're running Windows 8 X64, but Windows 7 and Vista should have very similar menu structures.

- Go to your Control Panel
- Click on Hardware and Sound
- Click on Device Manager under Devices and Printers
- Scroll down the list to Other devices
- Double-click the Unknown device
- Click on the Hardware tab
- Click on Update Driver
- Select Browse my computer for driver software
- Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
- Scroll down and select Xbox 360 Peripherals and click on Next
- Select Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows and click on Next
- When the warning message appears, select Yes
55 comments38 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 August 2013
A few points to consider - firstly, this will work with wireless Xbox 360 controllers, it's just a bit of a palaver trying to get Windows to recognise it and install the necessary drivers.

Follow the instructions given in other comments and that should solve the issue. If you are using Windows 7 or Vista (both 32 and 64 bit) then this video was vital in helping me install the necessary software and get my controller working:

[...]

So the good points of this receiver are that, once set up, you can use with with pretty much any PC game. I've tried it on Borderlands 2 and Dragon Age: Origins and so far it's working fine.

The downside is that the receiver itself needs to be in as open/unobstructed a space as possible, otherwise the connection drops every 60 to 90 seconds. This does not pause the game however. To avoid this, I recommend hanging the receiver from a shelving unit or something similar.

So once up and running, it's grand. Considering both the controller and Operating System are both Microsoft you'd think they would make this process more user-friendly. If you are not a bit tech-savvy, or if you don't like digging about your computers control panel, ask someone who can to install this for you.
on 24 July 2013
If you're planning on buying this product make sure you follow the instructions contained in the reviews here on amazon, because this product comes with completely out of date instructions, it comes with a mini cd with an installer that didn't even work (for me) I only got this device working with the help of the reviews here, without them this would have been completely useless. If your controller is slightly hidden (ie if you're sitting at a desk and you put the controller under the desk) the signal completely drops out.
on 16 June 2013
Had a bit of trouble installing drivers and had to seek help, but now it works just fine. Definitely worth the money.
on 28 April 2014
I tried countless versions of different developer firmwares to tr and sync this with the game pad device and it never worked.
I tried the firmware on the disc, Microsoft's official firmware and other rd party firmware.
I ended up buying a wired controller and threw this out, as it isn't even heavy enough to perform as a decent paperweight.
on 31 July 2014
Genuine piece of s***.
Just don't buy it, spend a bit extra for a official Microsoft one.

Drivers out of date.
Instructions are wrong.
Even with other instructions and other drivers doesn't work.
Followed other reviews, instructions, doesn't work.
on 22 June 2014
I thought this product was good until it stopped working 4 months after I ordered it. I would not recommend this product to anyone unless you want to waste money.

Go find a different product as this one is s***
on 23 May 2014
This device is cheap and nasty it doesn't even work! It's just sat there in a drawer as it costs to send it back and I've forked out enough cash as it is for this joke of a device. It's like a kids plastic toy.
on 23 June 2014
I've had this receiver for a while now, and I haven't had one issue with it at all. My wireless Xbox controller stays connected to my computer even outside my house (within reason) and anywhere in it, regardless of obstacles in the way, and it's never dropped connection unexpectedly besides the obvious controller battery death. The one thing I would mention is that on Windows 8/8.1 (I haven't tested any other OS's) the device can fail to be recognized for what it is, and requires a trip to the Device Manager and manual driver selection to get it up and running, but after that it's fine. This step was alright for me, but less tech-savvy users may wonder what's wrong.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2013
well I bought an official microsoft version of this product about 2 years ago and when installing it to my new pc I found it was a nightmare. Having heard these receivers are terrible for reliability I assumed the hardware had burned itself out. (it was later revealed to be a driver error on my part)
I decided to take a gamble and buy a cheaper 3rd party one as a replacement. and I havent looked back since, this is a great product, installing it was a pain however as for sometime my pc was convinced this receiver was a controller itself, I had to fiddle about with the drivers but eventually it worked.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse