Format: DVD|Change

on 27 June 2012
Starlings (Series 1) is an 8-episode (about 45 minutes each episode) modern day drama/comedy about a large family (The Starlings) whose members have been brought together due to various circumstances.

It is funny and entertaining, but it also has a serious dimention to it. All the characters are excellent actors, likeable and play their part to perfection.

It is a 'light' drama, in which all family members genuinely care and have affection for one another despite the differences in their ages and degree of maturity.In the first or second episode, we see ALL the family sitting at the dinning table and enjoying a meal and socialising together, a scene rarely observed in TV dramas these days.

The pace of each episode is fairly slow, giving the viewer enough time to get to know and identify with each character.

Starlings is highly watchable giving one the 'feel good' factor at the end of every episode. One thing that irritated me as I was watching it on TV ( Sky 1 )was the interuptions making way for the adverts/commercials, but owning the DVD will elliminate this problem.
I sincerely hope and look forward to Series 2. Excellent Drama/Comedy ! Highly recommended !
on 27 June 2012
This is the most heartwarming, eyepleasing show to watch. Every character is believable and you forget you are watching actors and get absorbed into the story-lines. How anyone can not prefer this over reality TV is beyond me.
on 26 June 2012
What a delight! The characters are interesting, and it is so refreshing to watch a program where people actually care about each other. The situations represent real life interactions between husband and wife, parents and children, and siblings. Absolutely charming show to watch.
on 26 June 2012
My entire family has loved this gentle show about the Starling family, it's a nice contrast to the heavy, serious, screaming fare that's in fashion now. It's a welcome change of pace to see people who genuinely care for each other interact every week. Brendan Coyle & Lesley Sharp are wonderful, as per. I'm very glad Sky has renewed this show for a second series, can't wait to get the DVD.
on 2 August 2012
Warm, gentle, funny with slow development but that's what makes it stand out..

Many people thought it would be something good, new, interesting and having just watched only the 1st 10 minutes of the show, they realized they were wrong, including me.....BUT.... something kept me going and I watched the whole thing anyway.
Glad I did, cause despite the very very unlucky birth-giving intro, it turned out to be one of the best dramas/comedies Ive seen in a while ("Stella" could be one of them aswell :D). As the title says - get into the characters and youll find this DVD the most heartwarming DVD on your shelf.

My rating would be an absolute 5.0 but the not so uplifting intro leaves me giving this DVD a fair rating of 4.8.
on 14 October 2013
This is one of the best DVDs of 2012 and very popular with friends I have shown it to here in New Zealand where it has not yet been shown on television. I see Season 2 has been shown on TV in England, finishing on August 20th. So why the delay in releasing it on DVD? Have pity on us colonials and release it soon!
on 13 June 2012
I love this series. It's an easy, heartwarming watch about a large family. I love the whole togetherness of the whole family, and though sometimes the action drags a bit, it's the characters that are the most interesting. They're all well-rounded individuals, who function alone and as part of the family unit, and there's a nice edge of comedy juxtaposed against more darker (for want of a better word) themes. I'm really enjoying the series, Sky has produced some great shows this year. :)
I loved this dvd and can not wait for another series.Lesley SHARP AND Brenden Cole are so good.Its true to life.
on 3 April 2014
I admit it did take me a little while to get into this show. But once I did, I fell in love with it! I have a very small family that I hardly ever see, so I love shows about families. Especially when they love each other. This show fit the bill! ALL of the actors are excellent!
You feel good after watching this show. I think whoever made the decision to cancel this program should be FIRED!!! A good, decent program comes on and they kill it. People want and need shows like this. I live in America and I am so sick of reality shows and crime shows, I could vomit! British t.v. is so much better! Wish I could move there!
PLEASE give us season 2 on DVD.
Thank-you!
on 7 April 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed the whole 8 episodes. Bring on Series 2!Beautiful Derbyshire Scenery with a feel good happy family story line and humour.What a refreshing change.