Colour Name: Black/Red|Change

on 15 August 2012
This is the first pair of On or Over ear headphones that I have ever bought and I spent a ridiculous amount of time deliberating over a pair of headphones to buy and initially started with a budget of around £20-£30. I knew a fair amount about the sound quality of in-ear phones and as such felt that this would be a fair initial budget.
However, after looking into products for a while and trying a few pairs in store I felt that I should up my budget and started looking into Audio-Technica's which were highly recommended by a friend of mine along with Sony's Sennheisers and Skullcandy.
It took me weeks to decide on a pair as I'm a student currently without an income and felt that making the right choice was quite important. I would consider myself a bit of an audiophile but not necessarily with the experience of those buying top of the range £150+ headphones but I am heavily involved in different kinds of music and have been for years so have a fairly well tuned ear.
These WS55's have ended up being exactly what I was looking for in portability, comfort and sound quality so I'll just run through some of the features/feels around the headphones to (hopefully) give you an idea of how these phones feel to use.
COMFORT:
The WS55's are a pair of Over ear (around ear - the pads are pressed against the side of your head) headphones but are still compact enough to not look stupid in public. They have a soft padded leather(/faux leather i'm not sure) ear pads that wrap around your ears comfortably but snugly along with a leather padded adjustable headband. After a very long time of use (5+hrs) I can sometimes feel pressure around the ears as the band does press relatively tightly around the head, but this can be gotten used to surprisingly quickly and is usually only when I'm wearing glasses. The earcups also swivel to fit the head (and to flatten the set which adds a huge amount of portability). These aren't, however, the sort of headphones you'd leave around your neck, even fully extended this can feel very tight.
BUILD QUALITY
The build is mostly plastic, but are of an incredibly sturdy and high quality. I feel that I could quite happily throw a pair of these headphones into a bag for a fairly rough journey and they'd survive fully intact much unlike some of the other portable headphones I've tried. The inner headband is metal so there is less chance of damage there. The design of the headphones is also great.
SOUND QUALITY
Now this is by far the most subjective part of buying any headphones as people have very different tastes. I, however, was looking particularly for some solid bass (not too overpowering but enough to feel) clear strong mids (particularly voices and samples where appropriate) and treble without overly piercing of the latter. I listen to a wide range of music (from Folk through Classic Rock, Punk, Ska, Hardcore, Metal, and Death Metal to House, Dubstep, Electo and Hardstyle and mixes of the aforementioned genres) so a fairly balanced sound is important to me. The key reason for me going with the Audio Technica brand was the vast quantity of reviews praising the clarity of the sound of their products and, I have to say, the WS55's delivered. I was slightly worried that they could be too bassy or a little tinny in the highs from some reviews but, as far as I'm concerned, after some burn in, these are ideal, with perfectly balanced bass and stunningly clear (and I really mean that, I was genuinely shocked to hear the difference between these and those I'd tried ZX600s Skullcandy Aviators etc). Sound isolation is unbelievable, with full volume on ipods etc hardly being noticed in a room of people silent and trying to check sound leakage, perfect for use on a train or bus trip.

Overall these are perfect for me, and I would recommend them to anyone, I also looked at the WS55i's thinking of on ear instead of over ear and supposed better balancing of sounds but I'm glad I saved the £20.

I can, however understand some people (who are looking for different things) may not like them for one reason or another so I'll list the things that (didn't bother me but) could leave something to be desired:
The cable is split to both earcups rather than run through the headband.
The cable is quite short - roughly a foot longer than an arms length so is fine to reach an ipod in your pocket but won't necessarily provide great freedom of movement if hooked into a pc.
The band is relatively tight on the head (this is only really a problem if you want to use these for a period of time in excess of 7 or 8 hours and is fine again after around a 15 minute break).

If you're on the fence, go for these :)
on 28 January 2014
I needed a pair of headphones and I only had one simple requirement, I wanted everything.

By everything, I mean, they should have a great range with a natural sounding bass, I don't want bass heavy, they should be well priced, and comfortable. I didn't really expect to find anything. Imagine my surprise when the guy in the shop handed me these saying they where £50. At that price point I had been through everything in the local electronics giant and there had been at least one failing in each of them, too much bass, too much treble, no mids, muddy bass. Not expecting I tried these.

Wow, they are wonderful, bright highs, natural lows. The sound quality is wonderful for this price point, I have tried headphones at three times the price which were not even close. Hence the 4 stars.

Why oly 4? There are a couple of negatives, nothing major but they are there. The cable is captive and cannot be replaced easily so when it goes, that is it unlike the Sennheisers I own which just unplugs. They are not the most comfortable either, after long periods they will get uncomfortable, they are not bad but there are more comfortable headphones out there.

Overall though these are great headphones for the price and you will struggle to find better.
on 21 February 2014
The sound quality of these headphones is (nearly) superb, with deep, thick bass, clear mids and good (but not outstanding) treble.

If sound quality was all that mattered I'd be keeping these and rating them at five stars for the price, however there are two negatives which together pushed them over into a return to Amazon and a refund.

The first and more minor niggle is that the right ear-cup is slightly louder that the left. At first I wasn't sure if I was imagining it as listening to stereo music the effect is quite subtle, however as soon as I started listening to some podcast radio and audiobooks which were in mono it became obvious that it wasn't my imagination. To give you some idea of the scale of the balance difference, imagine the sound stage is graded from 1 to 100, with extreme left as 1 and extreme right as 100. Mono should be in the exact middle (50) however with these cans all mono sources are placed around 60 or 65. Not a deal braker, but off-putting nonetheless.

The deal braker was comfort. They are vice-like in their grip on the head and in less time than it takes to listen to one album, my ears were in such pain I had to take them off. A real shame.
on 4 August 2014
I use to have Porta Pro before these and the sound is a next step in quality,but not too far from Porta Pro,however the quality of materials is way better than the Koss,they still didn't fail (Koss Porta Pro unfortunately has a low life expectancy).They are not 100% noise cancelling,but it's enough with a decent high volume without disturbing people around you.At first,they had a kind of uncomfortable feeling on the head,but don't know if became accustomed or they shaped up with use,now i don't have that feeling anymore. For listen movies they are also wonderful because you can ear all the small sound details of everything happening in a movie (i can almost ear what other people are saying when the main actors are taking for example in a coffee shop).same happens in music,the awareness of each instrument sound is very good.Without being the perfect headphones,i recommend it because with a relative low price you purchase a very close experience from what is the top of the headphones.It has a better sound than Koss Porta Pro with better quality,and,hey,for the price,that's not easy...
on 12 November 2013
Its not often that I use headphones but when I do I want good sound quality. These headphones do not fail at this. The sound is very clear and the bass response is great. I listen to a wide variety of music and these headphones have managed to reproduce some very clear vocals and some thumping bass for hip hop.

Also worth noting is the sound isolation. When i have them on it cuts out almost all background noise. Also it stops the sound leak very very well. I sit in an office with music thumping and nobody around me is none the wiser.

Highly recommended
on 8 November 2013
After using the free headphones which came with my Xperia T I decided I needed to upgrade. I was looking for premium headphones at a budget (ideally under £70). These headphones have exceeded my expectations, truly awesome sound with such depth. The build quality is sturdy and they look very trendy. As mentioned it other reviews, they are slightly tight when around the neck.

If you are unsure of buying, go with it - you will not be disappointed!
on 3 June 2015
The sound quality and bass on these headphones is great. It's the reason I bought them in the first place. Unfortunately with time the plastic built has made all the joints creaky. The noise from the creaky joints echoes through the headphones and have made them virtually unusable.

I may have got a dud, but I could not in good consciousness recommend these to anybody.
on 5 October 2012
Very good headphones. The bass is strong, the quality is really good and music gnres such as electric or metal sound very crisp in them. Although the left channel stopped woring after 5 months, I got them repaired in under 2 days, although I had to pay for the postage. But apart from that they are perfect both in quality and in value.
on 12 October 2013
These are great headphones, they can get uncomfortable after a few hours of use but this isn't a huge deal for me after all if your paying £60 there not going to be perfect. Sound is fantastic very flat, very clean but I would recommend getting an amp to boost the bass or download power amp if you can brilliant thing about this is you can customize the sound so it can be your sound. Other plus points...they look good feel solid cant praise them enough really.
on 23 July 2015
The sound quality is good, the bass is well pronounced, decent mid and high ranges. I'd easily give it a four or even five starts... if it wasn't so horribly uncomfortable. I'm aware on-ear pieces are not the most comfortable ones but the pads are really hard and makes it painful to wear them longer than 15-20 minutes. Then there's the annoying creak--caused by the very cheap plastic joints--every single time you move your jaw or do any sort of facial expression...