4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the beginner, 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Turkish Language Explained for English Speakers (Kindle Edition)
I have been learning Turkish for several years and had come to a bit of a standstill where I seemed to be having similar conversations all the time. I bought this book based on the reviews posted and I agree it is definitely not for anyone who doesn't have a good basic knowledge of the language - I wouldn't recommend it if you are a beginner. However, it is ideal if you just need to improve your skills especially in conjuction with a good dictionary for vocabulary. I must admit that I found some of the explanation such as having negative and positive verbs a bit strange, as most books would just describe agglutination to the one verb stem, but you get used to it. The book is easy to read which is great if especially like me , you learn by reading things over and over, although it did seem to me that some points were long drawn out and explained the same thing too repetitively. Great that it is on Kindle, and at a very reasonable price. Generally a good buy - does what it says on the tin.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem for serious students of Turkish, 3 Jun 2012
This is a really useful book, written by an English person who is clearly as fascinated with the Turkish language as I am.

The author starts from the premise that if you have been educated in classical languages (as I was) then you will find some of the Turkish syntactical constructions difficult and he explains them in a way which was akin to light bulbs coming on in my brain!

It's not a "Teach Yourself" book really, because I think you would have to have a reasonable grounding in Turkish grammar (and, to a lesser extent, vocabulary) to get the best out of it but, for the serious student of Turkish, it seems to me to be a real gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Turkish grammer book on the market, 19 May 2012
I've been learning Turkish on&off for 8 years. I've visited the country many times and I've taken 2 beginner's courses. I don't think I learnt much at the courses, I found Pimsleur useful for basic pronunciation and basic grammer I learnt via "Teach Yourself".

I have looked both inside and outside Turkey for a good book on the language, and I am happy to say that I have finally found it! I think this book is fantastic, and it really "joins the dots" for many of the pieces I have in my head. I am writing this review from Turkey and having it available on a Kindle is even better, as I prefer to travel light. It is not the easiest language to learn, but John's book clearly explains may of the trickiest parts, including special descriptions for areas which are particularly difficult for English speakers.

It is a thorough treatment of the entire language but not dry & boring like other grammer books. It uses many examples and especially usefully, breaks the sentences down into the individual grammer components, as well as providing direct English translations. The direct (word for word) translations help one understand the completely different way in which Turks compose sentences: this is probably the hardest part of the language to master and John's method is very helpful.

I would recommend this book for any student of Turkish. For anyone who already has some basic understanding of the language it is the only reference book (other than a dictionary) you will need. For absolute beginners I would still recommend it, but I would also recommend a basic text like "Teach Yourself Turkish".

I am also using a workbook by Ali Akpinar & Katja Zehrfeld called "Turkish Grammer 1", available on amazon.de.

John (if you read this): Congratulations on a great book. Please consider writing an accompanying workbook also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't live (ok a little strong should say progress) without this and Manisa website., 14 Nov 2012
There is nothing that compares to this book and Manisa website, for those who truly want to learn Turkish. I have kindle version (wish I bought iBooks version as the app is way better) and spend any and every spare minute recapping. Could not be more grateful to John Guise for every aspect.

My target is to understand the Turk TRT channel-they speak sooooo quickly, but for now am more than happy being understood in every situation that I have required so far.

Colloquial audible Turkish conversation is my only struggle now but I will progress. Thank you so much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Concise Turkish, 28 April 2012
I have bought many books on Turkish and this is certainly one of the best. It isn't for the raw beginner in my opinion, but if read in conjunction with John Guise's excellant free website [...],(Manisa Turkish) then together they make a powerful learning tool. Some Grammers use an awful lot of complicated English terms which I should have learnt at school, but either didn't, or have now forgotten. John Guise uses easy language. Where there are difficulties, he explains them and often repeats explanations. Some Grammers assume that just because they have explained something once, then you are going to know it.With me it takes a bit of repetition and I am sure I am not in the minority. He often goes over rules etc and drops in helpful reminders. The style of the book, clearly shows the writer has had the same struggles in learning Turkish that we all have, so you feel the tips and advice are really relevant.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Turkish language explained., 17 May 2014
This is helping me to understand a very difficult language. I recommend this book to all students to try and to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought the kindle version. it would be good to have a hard copy too., 22 Feb 2013
I came to it via the Mansia web site and bought the kindle version as it was readily available. I would also like a paperback copy to keep referring to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 13 Feb 2013
Zara John (London England) - See all my reviews
I had previously been referring to this on the Internet and found it informative and invaluable. It explains turkish words and grammar very clearly and in a format I easily related to and understood. It was very beneficial used alongside my turkish lessons and here I would say it is probably more helpful used like this or if the reader does have some knowledge of the language to begin with. I was delighted when i heard it was available in an ebook and I think it is excellent and well worth purchasing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 10 Dec 2014
Very Good & reasonably priced

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Turkish language book for English learners, 6 May 2014
I've been through my fair share of books when it comes to learning Turkish but this is head and shoulders above all others.

A few have mentioned that this is not really suited for the beginners. It starts off gently enough but in no time are you dealing with what feels like endless combinations of suffixes and rules. But that's the point, this book explains very well how the mechanics of the Turkish language works.

My advice would be that even if you are a beginner it's worth having, but relying on it as your only source of learning might be a bit tough. I recommend getting also the Colloquial Turkish book as a companion piece for general learning and this to be the main reference book.

A few typos in the book (iBooks edition) caused me to hit a brick wall with my understanding but being able to spot and correct them was a mental step-up for me.