4.0 out of 5 stars Hardcore Will Never Die, And Neither Will Mogwai
This is, to sum it up to it's fullest, a Mogwai album. Listen to it for even the shortest time and you'll recognize the great sound of the band. But there's something else in there. Just because it's a Mogwai album doesn't mean it's a replica of albums of old. THere are subtle tweaks to the system here, and for the most part, they work brilliantly. The almost arcade-like...
Published on 16 Feb. 2011 by Paton

2.0 out of 5 stars I guess it's just me
...try though I might I just can't get it.
Published on 20 May 2011 by Stu_cj

4.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THEIR BEST, 17 Feb. 2011
I personally feel this sounds like a Mogwai best-of album, influences lifted from all their previous work but they've added some new sounds this time around. I really like the Krautrock type motorik beats on Mexican Grand Prix & George Square Thatcher Death Party. The keyboards are quality as well, a few tracks wouldn't sound out of place on an Errors album. They've not gone all 'dancey' or anything but it definitely adds another dimension to their sound whilst still retaining that famous Mogwai feel.

The raucous San Pedro will go down a storm live. The last 2 minutes of Death Rays will send a shiver down your spine. Rano Pano has a beautiful melody in the background of warm, distorted wall-of-sound guitars.

The only minor complaint I have is that, apart from maybe the latter half of You're Lionel Ritchie, there's not really any heavy-epics on the album. No Mogwai Fear Satan, Like Herod, My Father My King, Christmas Steps etc. Nonetheless it's still a perfectly enjoyable Mogwai album that also has crossover appeal. I've got a mate that listens to metal and a mate into dance music and they're both digging this, even my pop music loving girlfriend likes it. Rare.

Make sure you get the 2CD version. The 2nd disc contains the beatless Music For A Forgotten Future, which at 23:09 clocks in at Mogwai's longest track to date. It's a lovely ambient symphonic piece, great for cold, rainy days when you're indoors with the fire on. Hardcore! Buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars bought it? Then I went to see them live!!!, 16 Nov. 2014
....possibly the best UK band I have heard: went to see them live on the strength of this album...utterly good and wholesome Glaswegian rock music. Tracks like 'you're Lionel Richie' I just play again and again....almost timeless, perhaps a future classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good.., 7 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will (Audio CD)
I have been back cataloging Mogwai albums over the last year. This one has blown me away. I don't skip any tracks & am hard pushed to make any favourite. A must have for anyone's album collection

2.0 out of 5 stars I guess it's just me, 20 May 2011
...try though I might I just can't get it.
Mogwai have provided the soundtrack to my life for the last 6 years or so and in that time hardly 2 days have gone by without listening to something of theirs. Whatever the mood, there was a track that fitted. Why is it then that I just can't get into this album? I have tried listening to it as if it were not an actual Mogwai release and (shamefully I always thought I had an objective ear ) it came out even worse, I've played it everyday, once a week, left it a couple of weeks but still it doesn't work. Some tracks (shhhh....don't tell anyone ) I even skip over completely.
Sorry, but for some reason I'm feeling like the kid in the Hans Christian Andersen tale here as everyone else is saying how wonderful it is but for me it just doesn't quite click.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 9 Oct. 2012
Really good, amazing album, great postage.
Definitely recommend if you are a Mogwai fan, or for someone you know who is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Class Album From Mogwai, 17 Feb. 2011
There's quite a few in-depth reviews here already, so this isn't going to be one.

The album is more 'electronic' if that makes sense especially the 1st half - Mexican Grand Prix reminded me of Primal Scream Xtrmntr era. The last 2 tracks (Too Raging Cheers & You're Lionel Richie are perhaps more 'typical Mogwai' as it were.

Highlights - San Pedro, George Square Thatcher Death Party & You're Lionel Richie. Bonus disc is class.

Also the download 'Slight Domestic' & 'Hasenheide' as these 2 tracks that feature on the recent singles are excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah baby that's really free, 18 Sept. 2014
Their freest, rockiest, most epic and exuberant album since Young Team

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving this album, 16 Feb. 2011
R. Sutton "rsutton34" (UK) - See all my reviews
Came home from work, hard day, traffic was terrible... but I didn't care because this album was playing in my car very loudly. White Noise & Rano Pano are lovely tuneful numbers that deserve to be played loud, Mexican Grand Prix is a strange one for Mogwai, at first I didn't quite know where they were going with it, but after the first minute or two I was nodding my head in appreciation.

Letters to the metro has a lovely melancholy feel to it and wouldn't have been out of place on Happy Songs, very nice indeed, which flows nicely into the rocking George Sq Thatcher Death Party, complete with its wall of sound guitars, upbeat tempo & vocals.

'Too Raging To Cheers' is superb, no other word for it, although I would have liked this track to be little bit longer, it could so easily have been a "Rats of the Capital" type of number. I Still love it though. But they did save the best for last, "You're Lionel Richie" is a fantastic track even by Mogwai's high standards.

Great job lads, keep 'em coming.

Must just add a final few words on the track on the 2nd disc called "Music for a forgotten future (The Singing Mountain)". This track appears to be building up to something from the word go, but never actually gets to the dizzying heights of My Father My King. Just as you think its going to get very loud, it slowly lets you down gently on a wave of strings and piano. Nice record though, reminiscent of some of the material they recorded for the soundtrack to the movie "The Fountain"

All in all, Loving it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a Mogwai record, 30 Mar. 2011
If you already like Mogwai then there will probably be no complaints here. For me not their best effort, not as heavy as they can be, but still pretty good.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ALBUM, 4 Oct. 2013
I heard of this album by co incidence after viewing "The Returned" on television for which Mogwai had also composed the music. Well worth it.

Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will
Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will by Mogwai (Audio CD - 2012)