Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

on 17 May 2010
I thought this was an excellent book. The book helps you to understand what makes up optimism and the importance of action rather than just positive thinking. The material it contained has really helped me to understand the patterns of happiness and pessimism in my life. Perhaps the author could write more about the impact of being a minority in a majority culture for her future work.

The only slightly negative think I would say is that it is written in a slightly academic way which may not be easy for all people to read, but if you do find it not as easy as other self-help books, consider that to reflect the fact that what this book offers is much deeper and therefore all the more helpful.
on 7 January 2011
A must buy for anyone who questions reasoning behind psychological explanations on why and how we operate in life and impacts of such optimism, how to get the best from life. This book goes through in great detail with down to earth analogies, and covers many things to be honest that I hadn't initially expected. I dont usually write reviews at all but it really was that good!

I am not a student studying psychology (however I did in college and was going to continue) but Motorsport Engineering & Design but still with an interest in the topic. I believe this has been a great aid to helping me cope and make me really think through decisions (such as thinking of course changes, traveling, way at looking at the future) on what I really want out of life. How to REALLY achieve it and showing how elements of our life and what our expectancies will entail how future realities may alter because of our thinking.

But that is just me and where I am at. This is only a brief review as im not author, nor could I really explain how this is helping me fully, just open your mind and start reading. Sure there are a few words that I was unsure of, but nothing too hard to get the jist of what in simpler terms would mean. Or I have simply looked up a couple on google. One last thing I found great, that it isn't just some mumbo jumbo feel better book, there has been a lot of scientific research to back up theories. I haven't read many books of this sector, but I will in future, just hoping that they will be as high quality as this. Enough said, enjoy.
on 25 August 2012
This book is very much focused on the results of the various academic studies around optimism, so wasn't quite what I was expecting. If you're looking for something that nicely summarises how you can use the results of these studies, this isn't the right book. I must admit that I stopped reading around a third of the way through, as I found this quite dry and hard going. (I usually read to the end, so this is not a good sign!)