5.0 out of 5 stars Very reassuring as a first time mum
This book helped me with a lot of my fears of being a first time mum and also helped me understand my relationship with my own mum.
A first time mum has so much information to hand it is hard to know what is right and what is wrong.
Published on 21 July 2007 by Swivvler

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag
Published on 9 Mar 2008 by H. Devlin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very reassuring as a first time mum, 21 July 2007
This book goes through the emotions that come with being a mother, whether of a new born or a grown up child, without being patronising or judgemental.
It helped me come to terms with all the problems and heartbreak I had when breastfeeding.
It gave me some belly laughs, enlightenment and understanding and I know from reading it I have a more balanced perspective of being a mum.

5.0 out of 5 stars comforting and reassuring, 11 Feb 2008
C. Jones "Cat" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This book is a wonderful read,the author honestly reflects on her own relationship with her mother and how she shaped her life. The author also shares the stories of mothers she has worked with and I felt I could really identify with them, leaving me feeling less isolated and more normal! Although the author herself isn't a mother she displays amazing intuition to many of the issues and conflicts mothers battle with, such as dealing with inlaws to making choices on how feed your baby. It's very refreshing to hear from someone looking in from the outside.I would recommend this as a funny, refreshing and reflective read for all mums.

5.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE READ THIS BOOK BEFORE YOU REVIEW IT!, 1 July 2007
Kim Busby "Kim" (Belfast, N Ireland) - See all my reviews
As a fan of Gina Ford I am saddened to read reviews on this website which trash Gina and her methods, when it's blatently obvious to anyone who does follow her ethos, that these people have never even read the book let alone attempted to write an informative review!

Perhaps these people attempt to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down?

This book is a heartwarming and thought provoking script looking at all aspects of motherhood. It emcompasses views from mothers of all ages, experiences, social situations and origins. It takes the reader on a projective journey through their own experience of motherhood, and leaves the reader feeling more fulfilled, less guilt ridden and generally better about themselves. My husband read it and claims it gave him more of an understanding of women and their struggles as mothers and it has strengthened his relationship with his children. Highly recommended for all mothers out there who are looking for support and encouragement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 9 Sep 2007
Ozlem Celik (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have a 9 months old son and have been following the advice in Gina Ford's parenting books since he was born. I cannot talk highly enough about her parenting books. This book however is entirely for the mothers. The book discusses various aspects of motherhood, difficulties that mothers go through, and how relationships can change in different ways when the baby arrives. I found a lot about myself in this book. It has loads of real life stories as well. I would strongly recommend it to all mothers but also the dads, grandmothers and so on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for modern mums!, 22 Jun 2007
Laura Simmons (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I love this book!! I've had a copy since it was first published and just read it (for the third time) last week. Everytime I read it I cry!!! It makes me feel so proud to be a mother - Gina's examination of the pressures on modern parents, and the insights into her relationship with her own mother, make fascinating and thought-provoking reading. I couldn't care one iota whether or not Gina Ford has kids, she has worked with hundreds of mothers in her career and is very well-placed to objectively observe our pressures.

Definately not just for those who follow the Contented Little Baby routines, "Good Mother Bad Mother" is essential reading for all mums today!

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd read this before having a child, 4 April 2008
I found this book really touching. I read it from cover to cover in one night and will definitely re read it. Its very well written and helped me understand some of the issues I faced in the first year of motherhood. It was also very moving hearing about the author's own childhood experience. I felt it gave a balanced, sensible view of motherhood and parenting. I can't stress enough how much I enjoyed this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A relief to read, 6 Mar 2007
I would like to state that there are the anti Gina Ford bregade who obviously write reviews without reading the book.

If they had read the book then they wouldn't be so harsh to keep bringing up the fact that Gina isn't a mother herself. This book was born from her relationship with her mother. It doesn't just discuss a new mother's role and pressures in the 2000's but the historic change in the mothering role - which is very interesting. It also covers the relationship with our own mothers, sons relationships with their mothers, external mothers EG aunts etc., etc.,

Throughout the book Gina shows the various experiences of motherhood but not once does she judge. This is the overall theme of the book is not to judge each other.

As a first time mum I found this book a relief to clarify that some of the pressures I felt as mum in the 2000's was real.

Put it this way - in 2005, after a long and traumatic labour, I was booted out of hospital having had no help with latching on. Then a midwife kept me in the bedroom with my 2 week old baby who had just fed (bottle) and was asleep, stripped her down so she would be cold enough to stay awake and tried to get her to latch. After 2 hours of my baby and I being utterly distraught she mumbled "it would take perserverence". As a new Mum Gina's books were a lifeline when I was at an all time low. My daughter is growing into an affectionate, chattering joy who loves her veg and I am positive that is because Mum is happy and content within her role.

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, 9 Mar 2008
H. Devlin "Helen" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
This book is a combination of a touching personal memoire of Gina Ford's relationship with her mother and a range of personal anecdotes from mothers and information from various social and medical studies. It reads as though written by two authors with the personal sections very much in one style and the information from published studies in another. Although both halves of the book are interesting, they make slightly strange bedfellows and the style is stilted by switching from one to the other throughout the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stop complaining about Gina!!, 8 Feb 2007
P. Richardson (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a bit tired of hearing people complain about Gina Ford - she seems to get a huge amount of criticism just because she hasn't had children herself. Does that mean her methods don't work or she doesn't have any useful advice? I don't think so. Do new parents refuse all advise from midwives without children? Or is a nurse who has been healthy all his/her life not fit to care for the sick? Exactly. Gina Fords book is sometimes funny, sometimes sad, some of the pressures people expressed applied to me 100% and some didn't - so like all reads, poeple should take away the information that's useful to them and leave what isn't. Perhaps those so eager to berrate Gina Ford should stop being so narrow minded. She has worked sucessfully with hundreds of families, her methods work well for lots of people but she always states that her way is not for everyone. Every child is totally individual and she appreciates that, if her views, her books and her anecdotes aren't for you then fair enough - just don't try to spoil it for others who may benefit from her experience. I for one thought it was a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved This Book!!!!!, 17 Jun 2008
One of the best books to read as a mum who may from time to time doubt themselves. It is somehow reassuring to see what you are feeling in black and white. Internet sites are a great source of information, but sometimes you may feel silly to discuss things. Gina touches on them all. It also has helped me understand my relationship with my mum and my husbands relationship with his mum. Thanks again Gina

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›