5.0 out of 5 stars Just my opinion, but...
I have been kind of surprised by the mixed reaction to this album - I was particularly surprised by the amount of reviews on pretty much day one of the release. I like to spend a bit more time listening before I form an opinion, hopefully to provide a more rounded view.

Published on 19 Mar 2012 by R. Keech

3.0 out of 5 stars Home again
Not as good as I expected to be but easy background music to relax to. Not sure if I'll purchase more of his work.
Published 1 month ago by Mrs. J. S. Cairns

5.0 out of 5 stars Just my opinion, but..., 19 Mar 2012
R. Keech (Berwick upon Tweed, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Again (Audio CD)

Anyway, having spent the last week with Michael (figuratively speaking) I am glad to say that I'm very, very impressed. There has been real attention to detail when it comes to creating a collection of songs that would sit happily alongside a number of classic early 70's soul albums.

Its clear right from opening the CD case that Michael Kiwanuka's 'Home Again' album is heavily influenced by classic soul; the case has been put together to look remarkably like a record sleeve and is peppered with photos that feel like they were shot in the same era. Thankfully this attention to detail and homage to soul legends like Stevie Wonder, Bill Withers, Marvin Gaye etc. extends beyond the artwork and straight into the music.

The opening track 'Tell me a Tale' is a gorgeous song full strings and a smattering of horns that could have come straight from a Curtis Mayfield tune. Though still has a unique sound of its own, instrumentation is perfect. Michael Kiwanuka's vocal delivery brings Marvin Gaye to mind, smooth and soulful, with just an edge of pain and suffering.

Highlights come thick and fast through the early tracks. Notably, the third song 'I'll get Along' has a beautiful melody and the vocal is marvellously supported by the fluttering of flutes that is very reminiscent of Bill Withers. This song is immediately followed by one of the mellowest songs on the album 'Rest'- Which is so laid back, it can't help but calm you down, help you relax and put you in a contemplative mood with its simple rhythmic strumming and soft melancholy sound.

Similarly mellow and stripped back is title track 'Home Again' which is beautiful in its simplicity. This song lets you really appreciate the supreme talent housed in Michael Kiwanuka's voice, as there is little accompaniment beyond a solitary guitar for much of the tune.

Stand out songs for me in the second half of the album have to be 'Bones' which has a wonderful flavour of late 60's soul, especially in the chorus, along with the sad and soulful 'I won't Lie' and the astonishingly haunting final track 'Worry Walks Beside Me' - which is currently my favourite song on the album.

If you enjoy a smooth and mellow soulful sound and have, as I do, an affinity for 70s soul - there is a very good chance you will enjoy this album. If forced to throw a criticism at this wonderful album, I would have to say (though very much based on personal preference) there is a very slight under-reliance on horns. However, this is only even made slightly apparent by how good the horns are when they are present. It could just as easily be the fact that either a) I love horns a bit TOO much or b) Michael Kiwanuka knows how make a variety of gorgeous sounds, wants to share them all with us and understands that sometime less is more.

Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful music, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Home Again (Audio CD)
Having heard Michael Kiwanuka on the radio I bought his CD because there was something special about his voice.
For me its a very spiritual album but not a religious one and this I discovered when I was listening to it. I did not buy it
because I was looking for the spiritual, I bought it because I recognised something beautiful.
I recommend this CD to anyone who needs or wants to take time out to be still and soothed.....this will do it for you:)
Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow burners full of love, 30 Mar 2012
DKB (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Again (MP3 Download)
I agree with a previous reviewer, if Michael Kiwanuka hadn't been a BBC winner of sound of the year, and instead an artist that people stumbled onto, this album would have better reviews. As is, there seems to be a lot of "over produced"/"not what I expected" reviews.

I listened to a lot of these songs on youtube, before the album was released so I knew what to expect. A lovely slow burning album wrapped up in his soft, subtle voice. Music to while an evening away with loved ones.

I look forward to more from Mr Kiwanuka.

5.0 out of 5 stars quality, 12 Mar 2012
This review is from: Home Again (Audio CD)
i had to write this after previous review didnt give it the love it deserves , this is album of the year and if there is a better one to come bring it on , beautiful album with warmth layers and great vocally and gets better each listen , i think winning the bbc poll puts a pressure on the neck but kiwanuka probably doesnt care or shouldnt do this will become the word of mouth album and i wouldbt be surprised to see him in adele place by next year

5.0 out of 5 stars You really must buy this album, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Home Again (Audio CD)
What an album, can't recommend it enough, every track is simply brilliant and the whole family enjoys the talents of this young man

5.0 out of 5 stars soulfull, beautifully crafted music!, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Home Again (Audio CD)
undertones of 60's American soul/folk with a fresh modern take. Soothes the soul and evokes memories of a bygone era. Would recommend this album to anyone who has an appreciation of soft soul/folk music. I loved this album, simply beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly Beautiful, 15 Feb 2013
Amazing soulfoul mature voice. Home Again stays with you for a long time. Came across Michael Kiwanuka by accident and has turned out to be my best discovery in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 16 Nov 2012
This review is from: Home Again [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is an absolutely stunning albumn that never gets tiresome, I could listen to this over an over again!
I find it good to have on whilst having a bath!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album in a while, 17 April 2012
H. Beevers (England, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Again (Audio CD)
This is easily my favourite album of 201X's so far. Great voice, excellent recording quality and some really addictive tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Home Again (Audio CD)
Soft,melodic and very charming, heard him on breakfast tv and knew I really wanted to hear more. It was nice not to have heard loads of his songs first as hearing afresh on your own system makes it sound better.

ARRAY(0xa793c0fc)