Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 30 April 2012
This is an album of covers from a range of styles but Tracey's voice still sounds like it did in 1988. The line-p may have changed around her a bit but Tracey still has an excellent band around her; the essence of the band who brought us Crash, Nothing Left and Thru The Flowers is still there. Youth isn't everything and this band shows that. There are some great songs on here, Turn Off the Moon, The Witch, Who Are You Trying To Fool?...
on 20 September 2012
Like others, I was initially sceptical about a covers project but bought the album on the back of the 'Never Kill A Secret' EP, which sounded so fresh.

This album wildly exceeds expectations and previously conceived ideas. Much thought must have gone into which tracks to cover because they all work so well. The diversity of the choices makes it come across as a carefully put together compilation album and TT's vocals are better than ever.

Paul Court provides the background to each track on the sleeve notes, which is a really nice touch.

My favourite album of the year by a distance.
on 17 July 2014
I really liked The Primitives back in the 80's but only as a singles band and never got around to buying any of their albums. I recently had an out of the blue desire to get one of their 'best of' albums but after reading all the 5 star reviews of this covers album i decided to give it a go first.
I was initially disappointed as it's not how i recall the band or expected them to sound like now, but after numerous plays I'm now beginning to enjoy it as a totally separate piece of work. I'm not familiar with most of the original songs but they're all (with one or two exceptions) very good 60's style ballads with perhaps a hint of punky swagger around the edges.
Can't say i really liked 'Amoureux d'une Affiche' (sung in French) or 'The Witch' but otherwise very well crafted, catchy songs.
It's still not what I'd classify as a Primitives album (or perhaps their earlier albums did sound like this?) so I'll pursue a 'greatest hits' as well, but nevertheless worthy of a listen or three.
on 2 May 2016
very enjoyable album of obscure 60s covers . Tracy's vocals really suit these jangly pop songs
on 11 July 2013
I was a bit skeptical when I saw this album, but given The Primitives superb pedigree I thought it was worth a punt....and I'm really glad I did

Shimmering pop, gorgeous vocals, stonking tunes. Combines the best of Lovely/Pure era dynamics with well thought out covers and sounds bang up to date.

Not trading on former glories, just building on the elements that made the group stand out. Elements of pop, indie, 6ts & a thumping northern soul back beat.

In a just world should have been a massive hit, fantastic 'feel good' album.

This album makes me incredibly happy, a current go to fav!

Well worth your time and pennies.
on 16 July 2012
I was a huge fan of The Primitives back in the 1980s, so as you can imagine, I was delighted to hear they were making a comeback LP. Echoes And Rhymes is a collection of covers of songs from the 1960s - some so obscure, I'd never heard them before, which meant in essence it was like hearing an album of originals.

The songs all bristle with joy and fizz along at a rapid pace and the whole thing's so brief (14 songs in 36 minutes) that you're left panting for more.

All in all, it's a joy to have The Primitives back and I can't wait for the next one!
on 24 August 2012
A selection of tracks based on 1960s originals, but done with the band's own style. They've mainly selected tracks which are not immediately recognisable, but have been reproduced maintaining some of the original 60s style, but with the Primitives branding firmly stamped on. Very nicely done. Fortunately CD's don't wear out easily!
on 5 August 2012
Great to hear new stuff from The Primitives, sound just like they did all those years ago. Great album of covers most of which i had never heard before so the song are all new to me. Lets hope they don't stop here and bring some more songs out.
on 29 January 2016
interesting covers from underrated band
on 12 June 2012
The idea of a covers project might be off putting for some, but after a couple of plays Echoes and Rhymes became a really addictive listen. My favorite track has changed several times between about 8 of the songs featured here, (and there are some strong contenders, Where Will you Be?, 'Turn Off The Moon', Panic, Who Are you Trying To Fool? 'Wild Flower' and the stomping 'Till You say You'll Be Mine'.... I could go on) . The covers the band have chosen here are obscure and will probably be quite unknown to most. The only song I knew was 'Single Girl,' which I believe was the only song to have previously been a hit. I could have been fooled into thinking many of these songs were the Primitives own originals had I not known different.

As one reviewer has already mentioned, this is a great soundtrack to the summer. Love it!