5.0 out of 5 stars The strange case of rock excellence
Published on 9 April 2012 by Stuart Briggs

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not great
I've not heard their earlier work but this albumn is alright. A few track sound like Avril Levine, others are more upbeat and what is good is they have a unique sound and the songs are quite varied. Vocals are pretty good and the overall instrumental is consistent but just doesn't deliver on great songs. Everyone has their own taste, but for me I prefer We are the Fallen,...
Published on 12 July 2012 by Mr. A. Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars The strange case of rock excellence, 9 April 2012
Stuart Briggs "stuartbriggs" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Strange Case Of... [Deluxe] (Audio CD)
Halestorm is a hard rock band sounding very much like Heart would if blended with Metallica. That's for folks who don't know; for those who have already had the pleasure of becoming acquainted with Halestorm, this is essentially a quality extension of the `Say hello to Ms Hyde' EP: 3-minute rock/metal songs and a couple of ballads, all of which sound curiously familiar yet fresh. It follows that if you enjoyed `Ms Hyde' then you'll get a lot from `The strange case of Halestorm'. I liked every track on this one (especially the haunting 'Beautiful with you'), which confirms that it's a cut above the admirable eponymous debut album, and I'm pleased the entire band is improving, evolving ever more into a mature, professional outfit.

It's highly appropriate that Heart's `All I want to do is make love to you' appeared on the Reanimate covers collection: Lzzy Hale has a similarly impressive vocal range and strength to Ann Wilson and, like Heart, Halestorm's songs are well-constructed and powerful while remaining highly melodic and only just drifting into the Heavy Metal category.

There's a rich collection of Halestorm material available to access online and I'd recommend checking that out - particularly the `Ms Hyde' EP - before committing to `The strange case of Halestorm'. But I you consider yourself a rock/metal aficionado this album ought to be high on your wish list.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing strange about this one..., 2 May 2012
Mr. N. J. Henderson (Bude, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Strange Case Of... (Audio CD)
Halestorm's sophomore album sounds exactly like I expected it too.
It's hard, heavy, loud and complete with Lzzy Hale's stunningly strong and seductive voice, its mainstream hard rock made for today's rock radio.

I was eagerly anticipating this album after thoroughly enjoying their debut, lead single "Love Bites (So Do I) is the heaviest and most uptempo track they've made, close to being a heavy metal track. Just crying out for a longer guitar solo in the middle, it's far too short!

Elsewhere the wonderful transition between "Mz Hyde" and "Miss The Misery" keeps the opening rock numbers strong, ("Freak Like Me" being the only notable exception) before we hit three ballads in a row "Beautiful With You," "In Your Room" and "Break In." The latter is the strongest of the three being superbly piano based and the former more of a tempo ballad, similar to "Better Sorry Than Safe" from their debut.
Neither of these songs though (as strong as they are) drift into real power ballad territory, something which I think Halestorm really need to nail down for their next record.

Beyond that the record goes a little patchy for me. "Rock Show" "Daughters of Darkness," "You Call Me A Bitch Like It's A Bad Thing" and "American Boys" are decent enough but nothing memorable, especially after you've listened to them a few times. The first half of the album is definitely stronger than the second.

Lastly we get another tempo ballad in "Here's To Us" which is a nice way to close an enjoyable record, rather surprisingly this is the albums second single, which in my view is an odd choice as it isn't strong enough. It's an album track at best, not a single.

Those of you that have brought the deluxe edition will be treated with three extra bonus tracks, a couple of which are possibly stronger then the album tracks themselves, "Don't Know How To Stop" and "Hate It When You See Me Cry."

Overall, "The Strange Case of..." is a good album, just not a brilliant one. Halestorm are deserving of their place amongst today's most successful rock acts and you won't find many other female fronted rock bands showcasing mainstream rock music as well as this.
I enjoyed it and it comes recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving Forward, 29 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Strange Case Of... [Deluxe] (Audio CD)
Halestorm's first album was pretty good, it didn't rewrite rock history but not many albums do, it was catchy and everything was put together pretty well.
I think this album is a small step forward, they manage to capture a little bit more of what Lzzy sounds like live which is a good thing thing as these guys live are really really good.
The first 3 songs get the album off to a cracking start, i'm not a fan of Freak Like Me though and then as a lot of people have commented you get three slower songs in a row which on the first few listens really disrupts the flow of the album, you do get used to it though and don't really mind the more you listen.
The rest of the album is full of sing along, melodic hard rock, straight down the middle but done really well.
I like the fact that the band do nothing to hide the fact that they are huge rock music fans themselves and are just playing songs that they enjoy.
If you get chance to see them live in the UK in Septmember then take it as this is when you'll appreciate just how good they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Are Halestorm?, 12 April 2013
J. M. Green "john94682" (Sutton Coldfield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Strange Case Of... (Audio CD)
In the office the other day, I received a TicketMaster email circular inviting me to buy tickets to see Alter Bridge with support Shinedown (& Halestorm) and I asked one of my colleagues, "Who the hell are Halestorm?" He told me that they were a band that contained brother and sister and that they were "quite good".
He brought me in a copy of 'The Strange Case Of...' and it's quite blown me away!
Another reviewer has mentioned Heart connotations, and I would agree on one level - but this is hard rock plus rock plus anthemic ballads - but with a twist - contained within some of the lyrics which may cause concern in certain quarters...but it all fits like a dovetail joint and really does get into your head.
Opening with 4 straight hard rock numbers in "Love Bites (So Do I)", "Mz Hyde", "I Miss Misery" and "Freak Like Me"...you are lulled into a false sense of what this band are all about as it then slides into a mixture of anthemic ballads and straight rock numbers of which the highlights for me are "American Boys", "Here's To Us", "You Call Me A Bitch Like It's A Bad Thing" and "Private Parts". But, notwithstanding, there really isn't a duffer amongst the 15 tracks presented here and while some of the words may offend your elderly mother, remember that this is music with attitude and Lizzie Hale has a range, power and clarity of a cross between Ann Wilson / Marie Frederikkson (Roxette - really! Listen!)/Pat Benatar in their heydays.
I am now going to get my own copy of this album and also check out their previous studio and live albums - indeed, I may well go ahead and buy a couple of tickets to see the Alter Bridge/Shinedown/Halestorm gig....it'll be a storming evening!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album., 23 Feb. 2014
Fantastic album. I love every song on this album. I recommend this to any rock fan. I can't wait to see halestorm live.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stonking 2nd album!, 19 Sept. 2012
P. A. Brandon (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Strange Case Of... [Deluxe] (Audio CD)
Bought this as loved their first album and was keen to see if they had kept to the same formula - no they hadn't - it has been vastly improved with more rockier songs, split with about 3 ballady types in the middle.
Halestorm just go from strength to strength and this album proves there is a lot more to them and more to come. Starting with Love Bites and Ms Hyde this album just launches you head first into power riffs and catchy lyrics and never lets go till the final chords of the last song.
I bought the ltd edition with 3 extra tracks and well worth it.
Buy it, you'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars KICKING UP A STORM, LZZY STYLE, 16 Nov. 2014
Ms. Tracy Hanson "JARED LETO FAN" (PONTEFRACT, W YORKSHIRE, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Strange Case Of... (Audio CD)
This is amazing. If you like a variety to your rock, then this is an album I highly recommend. There are the harder rock songs, the beautiful ballads and ones that will get you singing along the next time you play it. The lyrics do not go too close to the knuckle (refreshing change I will admit) but the heavy songs are pure rock! They are a very hard-working band and deserve more recognition than they get. Also have to add (through personal experience) they are absolutely amazing to meet and clearly appreciate their fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lzzy Flippin' Hale!, 1 April 2015
Cereal Punk Austen (Tunbridge Wells, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Strange Case Of... [Deluxe] (Audio CD)
This is the album that got me into Halestorm and I love it, Lzzy is such a great singer and sngs in many different styles so you know she's just perfect, her brother Arjey is a fantastic drummer (Trust me I saw them live and he was jumping on his kit during a drum solo) and the rest of the band help form such a great band together with catchy songs and epic solos!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
Amazing

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 2nd CD, 16 Jun. 2014
Good mix of song types, shows what the group can do. the more you listen the more you get from the songs

The Strange Case Of... [Deluxe]
The Strange Case Of... [Deluxe] by Halestorm (Audio CD - 2012)