5.0 out of 5 stars i dreamed of africa
My husband was born in Kenya in 1952 and died here in London in 1999. Just before he died he said to me that he wanted to go to Kenya but obviously he was too ill to go and would never get the chance to go back there.
I got an opportunity to travel there with a friend, that I met this year, and I was so moved by my experience there. It is the most beautiful place in...
Published on 4 Aug 2010 by bernie

3.0 out of 5 stars Every coin has two sides....!!!
I read Kuki Galman's book. I also watched the film "I Dreamt of Africa" based on her book. And I also read somewhere her daughter's comment," Karen Blixen ran away, my mother did not."

Well, last year I happen to stay in Loisaba Lodge, Laikipia, adjacent to Mrs. Galman's ranch. What I learnt there about Galmans was not very flattering. On arrival in Kenya, she...
Published on 27 April 2008 by A. Kumar

5.0 out of 5 stars The most disturbing, yet uplifting story I have ever read..., 1 Nov 2000
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
I have read this book three times....it has a lasting effect on the soul....although there are times when it makes unbearable reading.....the author still has the capacity to give hope...even in her darkest moments......I admire this woman deeply and think of her often....

5.0 out of 5 stars the only book to read, 26 April 2002
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
This is now the only book I read. I have read it countless times and never fail to be amazed by it. It is the only book ever to have made me cry. I love it and no doubt you will to. My only tip is to not look at the photos until you have finished, as they give some of the story away well before it happens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have ever read!!!!, 26 Jun 2008
Kata (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
It is a best booked I have read in my whole life and I have been reading many books. I am very interested about african culture and wildlife- it is all in that book. And I cried then Emanuele died. It is a very moving book. I think Kuki Gallmann is very brave woman. I will read that book many more times and I recommend it to everybody.

4.0 out of 5 stars She lived the dream, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
Having just finished "I dreamed of Africa" I read the reviews written by "others" with an open mind,
While I agree with some comments of a privileged upbringing of the author leading to acquiring light aircrafts and an upper classed social lifestyle, the "reader" can not help but "feel" for her "trials", "loses" and "struggles" through her early years in Africa.
She had the gift of giving the "reader" an insight of the landscape of Africa and a brief glimpse of the culture of its peoples.
I "lived" and "breathed" parts of the book and I enjoyed her written work but I would not want to read anymore of her books as for me, I instalment was enough for me.
She did indeed "live the dream".

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Kindle Edition)
This book took me back to the wild parts of Africa which are serenely beautiful but also unforgiving. I could almost smell it from the pages. What wonderful work of the Foundation has come out of a double disaster. This book renews one's faith in the human spirit, & makes one long for a time when civilisation will realise what a parasite it is.

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak read, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't get on with this at all..The beginning was really full of the privileged life of Europeans in Africa.Towards the end of the book was more interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Story from an amazing woman, 15 Feb 2011
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
Kuki has had quite a life really and the backdrop of Living in Africa helps to set it off wonderfully. What an amazing woman she must be - without ruining the book for anyone she has overcome some incredible heartache and loss in her life and yet still writes about Africa and the land owners responsibilities there with a deep abiding passion.
Great book - read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Endurance, 21 Oct 1999
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
I so fell into this book. Kuki has had such a tumultuous time in her life, I feel, almost that mine is so insignificant. The writting is so vivid, so realistic that at times you do not feel the tears falling. What an increadible novel! But how strange for us to read it. I almost feel that this book is sacred, that we are intrusive to something that is so clearly laid out in front of us, something that we may read, something that I feel should be left to rest. God bless......
A REALLY AMAZING JOURNEY, leaves a little bit of us behind......

4.0 out of 5 stars I dreamed of Africa, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Kindle Edition)
Wonderful descriptions of African people, flora and fauna. Quite a sad book. Felt the end part which is about saving the rhino was brief and could have had more details about what she actually did for them apart from fly around getting money etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 30 Oct 2009
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
Although I'm not a native speaker so I had some difficulties to read it, it is really moving and it shows a will-power really astonishing. I liked it.

I Dreamed of Africa