1,478

My wife makes Jam and a variety of other things to tempt the palate of our 13 year old boy; peanut brittle and the like. All of these items require an accurate temperature to enable them to set correctly.

I purchased this item for just over £3.00 and it arrived reasonably quickly from the far east supplier. It is packaged in a protective case for storage and has batteries fitted. It is not that robust, but with care and storage in its case, I foresee it lasting a long-time. It is simple to use, switch it on, insert the probe and the temperature changes on the LED display. Is it accurate? Wel it does appear to be. I tried it in comparison with some very expensive and accurate thermometer probes that we use at work and it was accurate within about 1% across a temperature range -18 to 350C.

Ideal therefore for light use and to be honest, what else can you expect of the price?
11 comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 4 February 2015
Works ok.
Obviously it starts form the ambient temperature of the draw/ cupboard where it is stored and so this can mean that it takes a little time to climb up ( or even down ) to the temperature of the item you are checking , but it gets there in the end and when it holds stable it has the information you need clearly displayed and easy to read.
It is ideal for things like a bbq where the outside of the meat can look done and the inside is still in need of further cooking. It came with a nice leaflet telling you the safe temperatures of meat- what to look for and so how to avoid food poisoning!
Its cheap and not perfect but it does a decent job, if you are not a professional chef looking to make your living this way you can do a lot worse than this.
on 26 June 2013
Bought this as I am a childminder. Despite only reheating I need this to make sure the food supplied by the parents is above 82 degrees (Scotland). Have used it to check my own food now and like knowing that chicken etc is cooked properly. Takes the guess work out and provides reassurance. Product works well (to my best knowledge).
33 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 May 2016
This product came in a tube with instructions inside. This also has operating instructions on the tube.
If your anything like me I am always worrying if food has been stored at the right temperature, or cooked enough, or re- heated properly,Not many people know that when food is re-heated it should reach a temperature of at least 82 C- 179.60 F to make sure the bacteria that is in food is at it's lowest so we can safely eat it without having any food poisoning problems.

This product can measure heat range from -50C - +300C
-58F - +572F

I tried this product on food that we re-heat everyday, and a lot of the time we have no idea if we have re-heated it properly. Things like Chicken Dippers, Sausage's in tin sausage and Beans, and Chicken Balls.Usually I put the Chicken Dippers and the Chicken Balls in the microwave for about a minute after I have fried them, which is a wise choice for me because when I checked the heat inside them they were half of what they should have been. This could have caused food poisoning if I had eaten them as they were. However Sausages in a tin of sausage and beans I don't put them through the microwave, I just re-heat for 5 minutes in a small saucepan on a medium heat, and serve, I tested the sausages and saw that they were just below the recommended heat. This also applies to food stored in the fridge.
This can store up to 8 temperatures in the memory. It has a low battery indicator, a 10 minute auto shut down to preserve the battery.You can select between Celcius and Farenheit.
This great little product does a really big important job in any kitchen or catering environment.

Disclaimer: I received this product at a reduced price for an Honest Unbiased review. This review is my own Honest opinion, If you have any questions please feel free to leave your comments in the box below and I will reply back to you as soon as I can. If you have found this review helpful please click the yes button below, Your feedback is important to us.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 28 August 2014
For this price i expected a framed picture or perhaps just a very low resolution printout on cheap paper without the frame... thankfully i actually got the item, cheap as it may be it works and i have used it several times already since it first dropped through the letterbox.

The readings are very quick and easy to read and it isn't a flimsy plastic mess like how i thought it might be. I took the plunge thinking it isn't much of a punt if it turned out rubbish but i was surprised.

A more expensive tester i had packed up for some odd reason and oddly enough around a week after warrenty ran out. That one cost me £29 something. I'd rather have bought £29 worth of these ones! This is one of those times were 'you get what you pay for' doesn't come into it.

I had a big roast chicken in the oven and although i honestly didn't need to probe it as I've cooked enough to know when something is ready, i still went ahead and probed it anyway just for the fun of it and this probe went right in without so much as a creak or feeling that it was going to break so it is sturdy as well!
on 6 September 2015
Used it for a makeshift outdoor oven on expedition to Tanzania, worked perfectly
review image
on 17 July 2015
Unfortunately this thermometer did not work well unlike a previous one it would count up the degrees really slowly which made one impatient with waiting for it to reach the actual temperature of the food. A previous one went immediately to the temperature near the heat the meat was almost at and the numbers would flash by. This one had the numbers ponderously counting up one by one almost every second, no faster.
on 24 April 2014
Excellent device to have in the kitchen. I use it to make sure the water temperature is right for making bread.
on 17 January 2016
Very handy and has many good features. Can't be left in food that is in the oven as construction is largely plastic, but it soon registers the temperature if the sharp-ended probe is plunged deep into liquid or a meat joint, etc. so you can get your beef exactly as rare as you like, and make sure your pork or chicken is cooked right through.
I ordered two of these but they did not arrive on time. When I complained, the supplier was quick to reply and said they'd be sent off immediately. The original two I'd ordered then did turn up in short order from Hong Kong, surface mail. A while later, four more arrived, 'gratis', so I had six in all! Several friends therefore got the extras as stocking fillers for Christmas, and all seem to like them.
on 12 August 2015
Do no buy this thermometer. I tried using it for making caramels. It kept saying the temperature was going down in a pan of boiling hot sugar! It also couldn't seem to go above 80C. It ruined my baking. The temperature in sugar work is critical. I would not recommend this product.