4.1 out of 5 stars1,300

on 7 February 2014
Low cost item, so can I really complain about it? Perhaps not. It arrived after a long wait in a faulty condition. But is it really worth the trouble of returning? No. In future I will not buy items like this.
on 19 June 2013
Unfortunately while I am delighted with the price, the speed of delivery, the packaging, the product is not really useful for the purpose I purchased it for in my opinion (measuring the temperature of food). Hence the 1 star!

I am not sure if all units do this, but mine once switched on and for example inserted into a meat joint, does not immediately tell me the temperature. I am having to wait for the unit to measure the temperature all the way from ambient room temperature for example 20C to whatever I am measuring in increments of 2-3C every few seconds. This is totally unpractical, it would mean waiting an age to reach 60-70C from 20C.

I am actually also not confident it measures accurately, I held the probe tip in a pan of boiling water, and after quite a while (maybe 10-20 seconds) it was still reading 70C. It may if held longer arrived at the target but let us face it. Life is short enough without using this product.

This lag factor, was not clear to me in the product description or in any other review. So if you want to measure the temperature of something you are cooking, I would look elsewhere unless you are happy to allow the oven to cool while holding this for a good while, while it tries to decide the temperature.

I am off to order a Thermapen, which will read the temperature accurarely in seconds. Albeit it is expensive but ultimately you do really get what you pay for. For the price I am not going to return it, but I have learnt a lesson on value and cost.
33 comments14 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2016
Good for the price, but accuracy doesn't seem great. I tested it by submerging the probe in boiling water - I couldn't get a clear result as it kept displaying values between 97°c and 99°c. I kept it into the water for a good two minutes, but it never settled on a value - and it never reached 100°c which should have been the temperature given that I live at sea level. I think I'll have to get a more expensive one to get more precision.
Still, it's not a complete miss because it could be good to measure things in which extreme precision is not required - for example oil temperature for frying.
on 11 January 2015
Searched around for a reasonably priced thermometer which has instant read functionality and took the gamble with this.

The thermometer works as described providing near instant read out, though I'm unable to judge the accuracy, it provides temperature accurately enough that its not impacted my cooking which needs all the help it can get.

I've not found it to be heavy on the battery consumption, though this will be dependent on usage which in my case is light. The thermometer comes in a cylinder packaging which can be reused for storage purposes of the device.
on 16 September 2013
This took 3 weeks to arrive; I didn't realise it was coming from China!!! It was different from the picture shown and is of the cheap and flimsy variety. I bought 2 one for my son and one for me. I tried both in the same temperature water and they showed 2 temperatures. It took ages to get a reading as the temperature went up a degree at a time.

if you want a cheap nasty probe that takes up to a month to be delivered order this, if not look elsewhere.
0Comment11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2014
It feels like a £2.95 digital thermometer and is cheap and nasty and looks like it will fall apart. The buttons are tiny, the text labels are difficult to read and the display is too small.

Despite the cheap and nasty feel however the thermometer works just fine and fortunately is fairly easy to use which is a good job as the instructions are written in pigeon English.

Delivery was very quick and it arrived in 2 day's and despite my slightly negative comments I would recommend it if all you are after is a cheap thermometer that does the job.
on 22 February 2015
Took an opportunistic risk when seeing this for £2. It is fine and more than fair for the price, but not great.

I tried it in ambient air and on a on a leg of lamb fresh out of the oven. It seems to give accurate temperature readings, but isn't very quick so my food had cooled down before the reading caught up and I didn't have a good idea what temperature the food reached while cooking. It doesn't look suitable for leaving in the food while it is cooking in the oven. It would probably be perfect if you were cooking something big like a turkey.
on 28 June 2014
It works fine so far. I haven't used it yet for jam making but it seemed to do the job OK for roasting a pork joint. It was a bit late arriving but when I contacted the seller they immediately offered a refund or replacement. Of course the package arrived the day after I emailed! But still, the offer of refund or replacement was made very quickly even though I didn't take them up on it. The item isn't the most sturdy I've used but for the price you don't expect high quality engineering. It does the job.
on 21 February 2014
I have just received my probe, but although it took a couple of weeks I didn't mind as it was still within date that was stated and probably because the item has come all the way from Malaysia as stamped, mind you on the envelope its declared as "Cell phone accessories"?? However It does look cheap and flimsy but at £3.00 as long as it does the job i'll be happy.Also there wasn't any paperwork whatsoever with the item and although I'm sure its simple I haven't a clue how to use it.!
on 12 February 2015
This did take ages to come ( and I did expect this as it was coming from the Far East) but it was well packed and arrived in good condition. I would agree with other comments that it does feel a bit on the cheap side. . But then it was cheap! It seemed to work fine, but goes up very slowly 1° at a time..which is impractical if you want to 'quickly' check the temp of your meat - the main reason i bought it! Personally I wouldn't recommend this product for this very reason.