3.5 out of 5 stars1,577

on 6 September 2013
This is the best fly screen I've bought. I can mention others as advertised on TV ******DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY****** this one is great. I bought a new one every year for a few years now and this one looks like it's going to last well past next summer if not longer. I did have use a bit of thought and extra Velcro and it looks great.

The fly screen fits well and if you have wooden door frame just use the pins provided. . It keeps all the flies out of my kitchen so no more nasty sticky fly strips.

However I have a UPVC door frame and there wasn't enough /adequate Velcro provided. Also as it is generally longer than most doors and not shorter like other fly screens, flies that hit the screen fall down to the ground and then WONT fly in through the bottom.

With a bit of thought I ordered extra Velcro (5 meters x 20mm) which basically goes all the way round the door frame and then stuck the screen to the whole door frame and it won't come down now. You might think this is going to cost you more but in the long run you'll have a screen that stays up for years and doesn't look battered/tatty/ripped due to the constantly flapping in the wind. All other fly screens I've had and this one come with about 12 white 5cm x 20mm Velcro pieces and the wind has taken them off or ripped the screen and even fallen down in the sun. The magnets are quite strong and don't open in high winds/gales with the door open.

I used white Velcro as mine came with black and if you want to take down the screen in the winter you'll be left with black Velcro strips on a white frame unless your frame is black or even brown(you can get almost any colour to match you door/framer, might cost a bit more). I bought the black fly screen, the white one comes with the same amount of white Velcro strips and white pins.

Some under folding on the edges required if it's just a bit too wide, Start from the top and mark your centre first and work one side at a time from the top centre outwards and down the each edge once you have run the Velcro along all the edges of the frame. If you have some alcohol wipes for cut and grazes use these to clean the edges of the door frame as the grim build up on UPVC doors will shorten the life of the sticky Velcro and it will come off sooner(no need to dry if you use the wipes as the alcohol in them will evaporate). If your good at basic DIY this will be a doddle. I'm not bragging but I've really thought about how it's going to go up and where I need to tuck in the edges and its looks brilliant. All my neighbours have got the same ones in white but I think black looks better as the white will show the dirt sooner unless you're going to put a new one up every year.

Being a bloke I did not use the frilly bit to go at the top and it still looks fine.

Lastly I think Black is better as you can see out and the white is more opaque(see my photos of the black screen looking out.

See all my photos. If you need a little advise leave a comment and I'll answer.

********* 12 month update *********

Hi, just thought I'd put update on here about this fly screen ..... it's been 12 months now and the fly screen is still up and still going strong. The blacks slightly faded and looking like an ink purple colour but still work and looks fine. The only let down was a velcro which is in itself is ok but the sticky back adhesive has started to perish in the direct weather. However with gale force winds, scorching sunny days and the best of the british weather or the worst of it as it normally is, the fly screen has stayed up and was well worth the money.

I'm going to buy another and put it away but I do expect this screen to last at least another year if not longer.

******up date May 2016*******

Sorry to everyone who has purchased this flyscreen recently, I did not know that the quality had changed even the supplier. I've only just got round to using the second one I purchased and found the substandard quality it's just fell to pieces. You're better off just buying a boxed one off the high street many retailers are selling them. Check the hemming tape round the edge to make sure it's stuck down properly and the tape and mesh are of good quality and you should be ok following my process. I've gone to town on my second (first one which was good quality lasted 2 years and 10 months) now and built-in a windbreak on some supports so hopefully it will last a bit longer. If you're quite clued up and have got a DIY bug you will be able to figure out what I've done using curtain wire as windbreaks and bracing in the middle which is only connected at the top. If you need any help or you got any questions send me a message in the comments are asked using ask question option.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 June 2012
first class service, very easy to set up, have found no problems so far with this item, would recommend to any future buyer.
on 4 June 2012
I have had other insect screens but they soon became very shabby looking as they were held in place by Velcro. These are much better,they are made of a robust material and held in place by 'tacks/pins'. The magnetic connectors running down the middle mean I no longer have to remind family members to ensure the screen is closed as they just quickly fall back into place when anyone goes through them.

I would recommend these screens to anyone.
33 comments|120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 May 2012
The product once fitted works really well. It can be a bit tricky to fit if you dont have a wooden door to pin it into, but we found velcro tape would be more useful as you can then take the screen up and down. It has lovely details such as the penguin magnets, it looks great and is easy to walk through and closes quickly to keep flies and wasps at bay.
22 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 June 2012
does the job its suppose to do. I dont use the sticky pads I use heavy duty velcro to enable me to put it up and take it down
on 30 May 2014
I chose this product because I often leave the back door open in the hot weather, but flies and wasps get it, When it eventually arrived It had Velcro sticky pads to attach to the product and then stick to the door frame, however these are about a much use as a chocolate tea pot! They either come off the fabric, or the door frame! Waiting on a refund!
on 13 June 2012
this fly screen looks great up. we went out to bye a tention rod and some velcro dots for better grip because the tape provided will not hold for heavey use i.e kids and dogs, well worth it i'd tell any one to get one.
on 16 June 2012
Magnetic Flying Insect Door Screen / Curtain- (HWP110276)This Screen/Door was purchased for my Summerhouse. It was exactly what I required. It was easy to fit and the penguin magnets close the door keeping the pesky insects at bay. It closes tightly and remains so even in strong winds.
on 2 July 2014
The idea of this flyscreen and the way it works is excellent. What is not so good is is the suggested method of fixing.

I have a UPVC door but with a wooden frame with the door opening outward and I initially used the suggested method of fixing using the velcro pieces supplied. This proved to be useless with the velcro detaching from the door surround within a short time, probably due to the not particularly agressive self-adhesive used. After much thought this is the fixing method I used:-

I was able to insert a 6mm wooden dowel through the hem of both curtains (I used a pencil sharpener on the end of the dowel to make insertion easier). I then banged in three fine headless nails along the top of the door frame, bent them over at right angles and then dropped the dowel rod over these. Prior to this because the width of the two curtains were wider than my door I had to turn over the side hems 3 times on each side (I used double sided tape to do this) and then used a staple gun to staple this hem every 6" down the side frames. I finished off by using a black felt marker to colour the silver staples black.

The action of the magnets work brilliantly both ways. I hope my suggestions help you get the best out of this excellent product which has been seriously let down by the fixing method.
on 15 August 2012
It lasted a week on my door after people was walking in and out and the dogs swishing it open and shut. Very tacky and not designed for PVC at all. The magnets fall off and wish i had got a bead one. Dont buy in my opinion