5.0 out of 5 stars Great Epilator
The Philips Satinsoft HP6521/01 epilator was sent very quickly. I charged it and it is great, it really holds its charge. I took it on holiday to USA for 3 weeks (where I couldn't charge it) and it lasted the whole time. It works really well and I prefer it by far to my old epilator as it takes out all the hair on my legs without breaking it and leaves them very smooth.
Published 24 months ago by Miss C Ransley

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing
I bough it 1 year ago and tried to like it but i just can't. The idea of a waterproof epilator was great but not practical. I found that while epilating in water the tweezers rather break the hair then taken them out with roots so ever since i was using this on dry ski. However the biggest problem here is the charge. Once it's fully charged i can only do 1 leg then i have...
Published 8 months ago by Yvonne

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Epilator, 23 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good. very pleased as i can use it anywhere, 10 July 2013
very pleased. i have used it and felt that it does the job much better than my 10 yr old epilady! Im sure i will continue to be pleased with this purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good buy, 15 May 2013
This is a very good buy as it does so much, being a two in one product and does everything I require

5.0 out of 5 stars Good results and really not that painful, 13 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Philips SatinSoft HP6521/01 Wet & Dry Epilator with Skin Care System with exfoliation brush (Kitchen & Home)
I received this today and have just put it to the test, expecting the worst in terms of pain. HOWEVER, it is nowhere near as bad as people make epilating out to be. I actually did everything wrong - didn't exfoliate, didn't use vibrating massage head (didn't realise there was one), didn't shower first or during, didn't wax or shave first - and it was really not that uncomfortable. I have never waxed before, only shaved. In fact the hairs were quite long and very thick, yet it only prickled on the leg area and hurt a tad on the ankles. The underarms take a few painful swipes until you can do it all, but it's not unbearable, certainly not like 'giving birth' as others have suggested. It could be that this model really is gentler than other epilators, but either way the results so far seem fab. The skin is not 100% smooth, but that may just be my skin type.

I don't feel like the vibrating head makes that much difference, and the smaller head for 'more sensitive areas such as underarms' just got in the way a bit. I just wanted the job done without the faff (even if I have to grit my teeth), and it wasn't much more uncomfortable anyway. As others have said, the instructions are pretty useless, but the full manual guide on the Philips website is decent. Whether the exfoliation brush works or not remains to be seen, but nice touch. It's great to have a cordless device, although I've had to charge it a couple of times already without even having done all my legs or underarms. That said, I allowed myself to get quite hairy in preparation for its arrival and I AM still getting used to it…

All in all, seems to be doing the job so far and if it continues I will be SO glad to throw all my razors off a bridge/dispose of safely.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... only used it once but the results are not bad so far, 31 July 2014
I only received this last week and have only used it once but the results are not bad so far. I used it dry, without exfoliating, preparing my skin etc as I just wanted to test it and have to say my arms and legs feel really smooth. I used it 6 days ago and am only starting to notice very slight re-growth now. Delivery took a couple of days like they stated which was great. It is quite noisy, bit scary actually! But don't let that put you off as it doesn't hurt as bad as it sounds! If you're used to waxing then the pain of epilating won't be too bad, it's bearable. Have yet to try it on the underarms so not sure how it will feel there. It does leave small red bumps but that wears away after a few hours. You do have to go over some areas two three times but I've noticed if you go really slow over a patch then you don't need to keep going over. I was really impressed that it can take it out really short hairs too. You should be aware however that it doesn't take out every single hair, majority of it yes but there are some hairs that just get cut. I'm not sure how well it will fare over time but for the time being I'm pleased with my purchase. The only thing I can really complain about is the battery life, the red light starting flashing after about 20-30 minutes of use. I have yet to try it wet. If you're thinking about buying it, I would say go for it. Results are the same as waxing and you'll be saving too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, I will never shave again!, 18 Aug. 2013
Epilating definitely takes a little (or a lot of) time to get used to, but it's absolutely worth it. I have very dark, thick hair and previously to using this I had an endless battle with horrendously irritable, stubbly legs (sorry, TMI) - at the age of 20 I should be happy to flaunt my legs, but I've been too embarrassed to show them since I was a kid!

I wanted to take some time to share some of my thoughts and tips on the process to hopefully give others an idea of how to get the most out of it.

This is my first epilator, and so far I'm really happy with it. It comes in a handy bag with a charger, removable "massage" attachment and "sensitive area" attachment (allows for epilating smaller areas), a cleaning brush and a pretty exfoliating brush. All these extras are really handy! The epilator is compact and comfortable. My only gripe with it is that you can't use it whilst plugged into the mains - you have to charge it beforehand. It does last a good 45 minutes to an hour whilst fully charged, but it means that you have to wait an hour or so to recharge it if you want to keep using it.

Now, onto epilating itself. I made the mistake of getting too excited when it arrived and trying to epilate straight away, without any kind of preparation. I ended up with itchy red dots all over my legs! I'd highly recommend taking a hot shower, exfoliating well and shaving or waxing. When the hair starts growing back, take another hot shower and exfoliate. Dry your legs thoroughly and start epilating. (This works for me with no irritation even though I have sensitive skin - obviously if it irritates you then try waiting 24hrs like the instructions recommend before epilating).

It is painful - it feels almost like what I imagine getting a tattoo to feel like! However I find it to be much less painful on my lower legs than anywhere else on my body, which is good as that's where I'm mostly bothered about using it. You can try taking painkillers, or using ice packs, but I've mostly just gritted my teeth and tried to deal with it. I also find taking deep breaths and epilating on the exhale helps to detract from it a little. The good news is that the more you use it, the less painful it'll be. (Although I've had mine for a while now and I'm struggling with using it on anywhere above my knees! I'll get there eventually...)

It took me about 3 1-hour sessions over 3 days to get rid of all my lower leg hair. I use various techniques depending on what the skin is like: 1. I move it very slowly over any sparse hairs as this picks them up more effectively. 2. I move the epilator quickly but evenly over any areas with a lot of hair, to get rid of the majority of it, then switch to moving slowly to pick up the rest. 3: I move in small, even circles over areas with stubborn bits of hair that aren't getting plucked.

The most important thing is to *be patient*! This is a very slow process, and it can seem like it's not doing much, but it will. Just take your time, clean the head regularly, and make sure you exfoliate every time you shower to raise hairs and prevent ingrowns (although expect to have quite a few ingrown hairs in the first few weeks of using it). Finally, make sure to use a good soothing moisturising cream, like something with shea or aloe vera, to calm your skin afterwards.

Since my first lengthy session I've only had to pick it up occasionally over the weeks for when I notice any obvious patches or regrowth. This is the best part! Before this, I've *always* woken up with ugly, stubbly legs, and have had to plan to shave before any kind of activity or outfit that shows even a bit of leg. But now, I just don't have to worry about it anymore. Sure, my legs might not be flawlessly smooth, but because the hair is being plucked out the follicles aren't as noticeable and they look SO much better than they do post-shave, and it's so great not having to worry about it every day.

If you aren't happy with the results from shaving, and/or you find waxing expensive/messy/impractical, I'd definitely suggest trying epilating. It's a bit of a pricey investment but definitely worth it in the long run. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Jun. 2013
Does exactly what it says on the box, even my 13 year old uses it without moaning like she does when waxing

5.0 out of 5 stars great gadget, 16 May 2014
Battery lasts a long time, enough unless your a Yeti ! flashes when low in charge, charge it up and off you go !

5.0 out of 5 stars Good epilator, 5 May 2014
I bought this to replace my previous one which stopped working after about a year. The fact that this one is cordless and can be used in the bath is a real advantage. It also means it's can be used when travelling. Does a very smooth job too!

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good although it did hurt around the ankles at first ..., 16 Feb. 2015
Never used one before and have been reading up for quite a while before spending my money. So far so good although it did hurt around the ankles at first but waxing always has this effect on me anyway because i have sensitive skin. The instructions with the machine are not the best and I have had to go online to find clearer ways to use it. The machine itself is very easy to hold and use and it wasnt until i read further instructions that i realised there were 2 speeds which makes it better to use that and the fact its cordless. Which i would pay extra for. Would certainly recommend this.