on 1 May 2014
What's to say? It's awash with typos, skims lightly over topics, contains a lot of shameless plugs and even contains some authorial misconceptions ( my favourite was 'man functions a lot like less' - it should; man uses the less pager to display info) that said it is very easy to understand and it's very cheap - well thats why you're looking at it right?

As a linux user of some 6 years, I bought this book as a light reading alternative to a real jargon brick of a book I'm working on. The writing style is verycleR to new users and covers a broad range of commands.

Where this book falls down is in it's content. It's all over the place - lengthy detailed description of how to change file and directory ownership, almost just a casual nod to installing software. The author clearly wrote the book to sell a book, but it feels like a 1st draft. The author skims some parts because he doesn't have a full comprehension of the answer. I see he has an ubuntu guide, so my guess is there's almost nothing on package management because he doesn't know RPM, Yum (wow that read like a wikipedia first paragraph) or Yast.

This could easily be a 5* book, but the author has not put the effort in to plan it out. I did notice his categories are in the same order as a couple of lpi texts, so I figure the structure was lifted from another text. Could really do with rethinking from a beginners perspective.

All in all i enjoyed the read. It was a refresher for me and i completed it in 6 days of commuting. That said the only new thing I learned was the apropos command, but then it's the same as man -k which i did know but isn't covered. I suppose that's it; this is a great guid for understanding what a command is used for. You just might not always get told how to use it.
on 16 May 2013
Explains key commands, and options/switches, in an easy to use way. Deliberately leaves out details that won't be of use and might confuse a beginner, these can always be looked up in the man files (see the book) or googled but the key information of what commands exist and where to start is extremely useful.
on 3 April 2013
Written really well. It is great for people who want to become more familiar with the command line, or who are just starting.
on 25 February 2013
I really liked the style of this book. It deals with a geeky subject in a non-geeky way so it is easy to. It is a beginner's guide, not a reference manual, and its layout lends itself to that. Unfortunately there are quite a few typos which took the edge of some of the learning points.
Jonathan is not only a technical author but a novelist as well. He mentions that. That's fine but I thought adding a chapter of one of his novels to this book was going too far.
But for the price it is a worthy read for anyone needing an introduction to Linux command line.
on 21 January 2013
This is an essential purchase for anyone who wants to start using the terminal and wasn't sure where to begin. Whilst it doesn't cover everything it gives a good starting point.
on 12 February 2013
For less than £1 this is well worth purchasing. I found it a great help to get me started with the command line in puppy Linux.
VINE VOICEon 22 October 2015
I got this as I was frustrated with having to go through larger Linux books to find out simple commands. I have an understanding of several operating systems so were familiar with general concepts, but this little book did cover the main things required to get started with Linux. I will have to get other works to go deeper but at least now I am up an running. This is a good little starter book, for most varieties of Linux, especially that used in Raspberian with the Raspberry Pi. I recommend it.
on 28 September 2013
Brilliant - This will be extreamly useful - The book is exactly what I'm looking
for a simple organized introduction
on 9 March 2014
A brilliantly structured and clearly written introduction to using the Linux command-line interface. Topics are split up with a chapter to explain concepts and terminology and a separate chapter to detail actual commands and their use. Even with a knowledge of DOS the Linux command line is not intuitive. So this book is an indispensable tool to help you get started understanding and using the Linux CLI. An amazing bargain at this price!
on 4 January 2015
I hunted a book that was aimed at novices but not patronising, and came across this. Granted it was free but still surprised by how good it was. It introduced all the basic concepts clearly with examples and covered what I needed to become a decent Linux user. You will quickly reach the limits of this book but guess that was the purpose so can't fault it for that.
For a Linux newbie I would recommend this book