on 19 September 2013
I served in the army, as a regular, '56-'59 along side N.S. lads.. I do not remember anyone having a fall out or serious argument even. Book gives a good impression of what life was like in those days , plenty of laughs were had because even after having been shouted and yelled at, and made to feel a complete pillock all day, though there were jobs to do in the evening, no one took any of the drill pigs seriously. We all knew we would be posted after 6 weeks, and as was written behind one of the toilet doors " don't worry, even gobsh*tes pass out " all perfectly true. I can understand some lads who had never been anywhere or done anything wondering what the hell at hit them.

A good read and it certainly brought back some memories
on 8 October 2013
The people who told their stories in the main thought the experience had been very worthwhile. Meeting and mingling with people from all walks of life and the way you are trained and bonded as a team is very well told. Having done my National Service I appreciated it and in a way was sorry to put the book down. Colin Schinler's summaries and introductions clearly explained the periods in our more recent history.
on 7 July 2012
I bought this book(my first online)as a Gift for Fathers Day. My Father in Law has told us many a tale of his years in National Service,with much enthusiasum, that when I saw this book, I knew it would be right up his street.He has since read the book about other mens stories through National Service, and found so many of them to be simalar stories, that it could have been his camp.He got a lot of pleasure out of the book, a trip down memory lane. Would use Amazon again to purchase Books.
on 24 July 2012
Like others here I bought this book for my father for fathers day. He had been conscripted into National Service during the early 50's, serving in the Royal Artillery and stationed in Germany. He read the book from cover to cover and wasn't overly impressed. As other reviewers have mentioned the stories of the men featured do tend to put an overly rosy tint on what actually went on. Needless to say a book he was looking forward too reading was a let down, and not something he enjoyed.
on 15 November 2013
As a former inmate of Padgate, "Dartmoor wi' blanco", the book brought back good and bad memories. Not all the .D.I's were as brutal, but then I knew what harsh discipline was. from home. Aden (khormaksar) was an eye opener for a naive 18 yearold, but I survived it, and look back with fond memories of there and the route stations, Riyan, Salalah, Masirah, Sharjah and Bahrain. My own memoirs will fill in gaps for my family when I pass on!
on 3 August 2012
Realistic, wide-ranging review of the old days. The repetitive recollections are fascinating, since, at the time they were perceived by each recruit as only happening to him. A bit gossipy, or trivial in places, the author having just accepted each individual contribution. Takes you back!
on 30 July 2013
It was a gift and the gentleman really enjoyed it, very true he said as he remembered Nat. Service.

Mary
on 17 October 2013
This is a xmas gift for my grand father who is a proud ex member of the national service & I can't wait for him to open it! The product arrived before the estimated date in pristene condition - thank you!
on 29 June 2012
My Husband enjoyed this book very much.
especially as he was an ex national service man.
and found some parts very funny.
on 7 October 2014
This is a well-organised selection of personal stories from people who were conscripted into National Service. The selection is well balanced, with a good coverage of the different services and the different periods during which the system operated.

The one minor problem is that the stories can be quite repetitive because they'd been asked questions and the answers were then edited by Shindler to make for smooth reading. Shindler explains in his introduction that it's to ensure consistent comparisons of the people's experiences but sometimes you wish they could go into more detail about aspects that might have been important to them that hadn't been asked about.

Overall, though, this is an important collection of National Service memories. For a fuller insight into the politics and experiences of the system, I heartily recommend Tom Hickman's The Call-Up: A History of National Service.