4.0 out of 5 stars 'It looked like the kind of place you suffocated in.'
Every Vow You Break is the story of one summer in the lives of the Wayland family, parents Lara and Marcus, sixteen-year-old twins Bella and Olly and young five-year-old Jack. As the novel commences, we meet them newly arrived in New York State, driving to Trout Island, which is to be their summer home for the next six weeks as actor Marcus takes up the lead role in a...
Published on 4 April 2012 by L. H. Healy

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite Good but Lara makes for an Infuriating Protagonist
Every Vow You Break is a hybrid of contemporary romance, family drama and psychological thriller. It's not your typical thriller and if your looking for a fast paced whodunit then this probably isn't the book for you.
I felt that the authors descriptions of the vile house and the dirty climate of Trout Island, NY state were really well executed, I could actually...
Published 17 months ago by Miss

1.0 out of 5 stars worst thriller i have read, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Every Vow You Break (Paperback)
I brought Every Vow You Break because i totally loved reading cuckoo by julia Crouch. Every vow you break is the worst thriller that i have read. The plot was very boring, the characters were unbelievable and uninteresting. Sadly I would not recommend this book. I would recommend Safe As Houses by Simone VanDer Vulgt out 4th July 2013.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst 'thriller' ever!!, 31 Oct 2012
This review is from: Every Vow You Break (Paperback)
Though a huge book lover, I have never written a review before. However, I felt compelled to write one for Every vow you break as it is possibly the worst thriller I have ever read. Im not even sure if it should be categorized as such, since the first 85% of the book are just tediously dull: it simply describes the characters (very weak and unbelievable characters) and it absolutely doesn't succeed in building up the tension, as was clearly the intention. As other reviewers noted before, everything happens in the last few chapters. But even then, it is all so predictable and ludicrous, it's almost funny. I loved her debut book cuckoo and had high hopes for this one, but it's like it's been written by a totally different author. I shall not be buying any future books of hers.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wasted hours of my life reading this.., 26 Aug 2012
Ms. S. A. Eyre (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Vow You Break (Paperback)
I took this book on holiday along with 'Before I go to sleep'. I read the other book in three days because i literally couldn't put it down-fantastic. And then I decided to start on this (which took me the rest of the holiday and a couple of weeks after to plough through).

Half way though the pretty large book I wondered if anything interesting was actually going to happen. So far it just described the mundane lives of a family. There is a disgusting relationship with the brother and sister which I felt added nothing to the story, especially as there was no outcome to the situation.

Basically the last couple of chapters is when it all gets 'interesting' (if that's what you want to call it). You discover what's been going on even though there was hardly any suspense, and the plot is explained by the completely unbeliveble character, Stephen.

Anyway, the book ends without answering some of the questions. I'm sure the purpose of this is to leave you thinking about it.. But all it left me feeling was annoyed that I'd wasted my time reading the boring, unbelievable, and slightly sick book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let sleeping dogs lie.............., 14 Jun 2012
Denis Reed (Stockton-on-tees, Cleveland England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Vow You Break (Kindle Edition)
One of those thrillers where you're never quite sure just who is going to turn out to the be the psycho in the woodpile but you just know there is one out there!Trouble for this family doesn't just lie outside the family circle...there's a twisted secret within.Well written and an enjoyable ride,my only let down was the final 'tying up the ends' chapter.The novel didn't need it and the tension escapes like a deflated balloon because of it.But the rest of the book makes up for it even if by that time i'm pretty sure that Bella and Jack are the only people i'd have dragged from a burning building!

1.0 out of 5 stars Stretching the bounds of probability ..., 10 Oct 2013
A. B. Taylor "Allie" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Vow You Break (Paperback)
I know this book is a thriller but really !!!

I continued to the end because I had to know what happened but it was not a book I enjoyed, a good thriller works for me when there is believability about the plot, and characters I can connect with and actually like!
I found the Wayland family and their friends deeply unsympathetic apart from Sean, Bella, little Jack and the dog.
Lara and her preoccupations with self amazed me especially at her blase, neglectful treatment of her children, and complete ignorance of her abusive son Olly. Her see-sawing feelings for Stephen just annoyed me and his 'parting gift' to her added nothing redeeming to the story.

The plot became more ludicrous as I read on and I think would be better suited to a TV drama where it's all about suspense and not well drawn characters and authenticity.

got this out of the library, but won't be requesting her others!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 Oct 2012
This review is from: Every Vow You Break (Paperback)
I enjoyed Julia Crouch's debut novel but this was disappointing. The characters failed to endear and the story line was far-fetched. Without giving too much away, the opening paragrah did add to the suspense but in places the story degenerated into virtual farce. Disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, solid thriller, 8 Sep 2012
This review is from: Every Vow You Break (Paperback)
This was the first book I bought from Julia Crouch. I bought it as a holiday read and once into the story I found it difficult to put the book down. The characters are diverse and the story is well written and well paced.
The only thing I wasn't too impressed with was the ending-I found the same when I was reading Crouch's debut novel afterwards which also is a great thriller and hard to put down, only the finish is a bit of a let down.
I will be looking forward to read more from Mrs Crouch.

3.0 out of 5 stars shame, 7 Sep 2012
This review is from: Every Vow You Break (Paperback)
I loved Julia's book Cuckoo and eagerly awaited this novel but I was disappointed.At the start I felt the build up of tension but by about a third of the way through it just wasn't going anywhere and the thriller aspect of the story just wasn't there.Such a shame as I do like Julia Crouchs' style of writing, hope for better things next time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Picked up in the second half, 2 April 2012
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Every Vow You Break (Kindle Edition)
I'm afraid I didn't enjoy this story as much as Julia Crouch's debut [[ASIN:B004P8ITIS Cuckoo] which I thought was a great read.

The first half of this book seemed to meander introducing us to Lara, her actor husband Marcus and their 3 children, teenage twins Olly and Bella plus 4 year old Jack. They are moving to Trout Island in New York as Marcus has been asked to play the lead part in MacBeth at the local theatre. There are lots of bemusing happenings in the creepy house, Olly finds some local layabouts and Bella falls in love. Meanwhile Lara decides that she is no longer in love with her husband partly due to her recent abortion which she felt he'd forced her into. It's fair to say the break isn't going to plan.

After the very long build up, during which I didn't warm to any of the characters, an awful lot happens in the last few chapters. As the main revelation had been fairly heavily signposted earlier, it wasn't as exciting as it could have been. There are still a fair number of loose ends by the end of the book which added to my disappointment.

Hopefully Julia Crouch's next offering will be more to my taste.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not on e that I would recommend, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Every Vow You Break (Paperback)
The story line was rather long winded and did not have the expected twist at the end .The novel having been compared to the style of Sophie Hannah.I n all dissappointing.

Every Vow You Break