on 30 June 2012
I had wanted to see this for some time having seen clips of the action. Although I have no complaints of this Dvd in its self I am most disappointed that the scenes I had expected were not there. The running time is approx 100 minutes; There is a region 1 dvd available at over 200 minutes. Had I realised I would not have bought this copy.
on 15 May 2013
The sole reason why I did not like this dvd version of this most brilliant film, is that the first 10 to 15 minutes of the original film are
MISSING !! WHY?? Somebody, has taken it upon themselves to remove this most poetic and visually lyrical sequence.
This was one of, if not the main reason, why I bought this dvd.

With this most important and beautiful sequence cut. I would now like to return this dvd version to the seller.

I am so very sad.
on 5 December 2013
This is a crudely edited 'version' of the original film, completely unrepresentative. It's like a highlights reel, and a poorly transferred one. Do not buy.
Part I
The film opens up with a film tribute to the history of Greece and the games. We get to see the names of the nations at the time that the torch passes through as it reached Berlin. A much more realistic torch than today's is ran into the stadium with a few pauses to let everyone see just before the final dash to the Olympic torch at the stadium. It would be great to recapture this in the present day. Some of the tribute leads me to believe that our athletes are overly clothed for the sports.

Part II
By now watching Part I, "Festival of the nation" spoiled you. Again this film starts out with the ideal and surrounded by Leni's signature clouds. List is leading you to "field hockey, soccer bicycling, equestrian, aquatic and gymnastic events. Highlights are the Pentathlon and the Decathlon." Remember that some countries were still using horses in the military.

It may be unique reasons that brought you to this point such as Leni or photography, or interest in history, or, or, or. But once the action starts you feel that you are there and get lost in the "who will win what and how." Even being aware of the outcome does not prepare you to "not bite your nails" as you watch each athlete barley besting the next until it is over too soon. I noticed that instead of placing medals over the winners, they used laurel wreaths.
Any way you cut it, this movie is worth watching.
on 17 May 2012
Came across this title whilst looking for a DVD on modern Olympics. Don't expect HD quality due to the age of the archive footage but incredible camerawork and well worth a watch.
on 29 January 2015
Fast delivery and very interesting insight into the Germany of the 1930s as well as a very different time for the Olympics.
on 8 October 2014
Great - have been wanting to see this for many years. a pity that it doesn't show more of the other sports.
on 27 March 2015
excellent value and quality
on 18 August 2014
Good service and product.
on 18 March 2016