Published on 19 April 2012 by Lady Corvid

3.0 out of 5 stars MOR here we come?
Published 2 months ago by The Mole from the Ministry

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece - I Hope they get radio airplay and finally the recognition they deserve, 19 April 2012
This review is from: Weather Systems (Audio CD)
This is the first time I have ever done an Amazon review but there are few albums which have stopped me in my tracks like this in nearly half a century. The last one was We're here because we're here - Anathema, the next one, which has absolutely had me goosebumps and almost in tears as it is just stunning, on a level which only certain tracks by Floyd and classical evocative masterpieces, such as the Vaughan William's Lark Ascending, and Faure's requiem have done, is the new Weather Systems.

Anathema need air time, and the long overdue recognition and success for their talents and this a masterpiece (in my opinion) album. A mature and stunning piece of composition and musical execution on a level I have not heard in years - I lost time to the most amazing music and I am not sad I did it was just incredible. Where We're Here Because We're Here began, Weather Systems has built on and delivers on so many levels musically and emotionally - fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising!, 20 April 2012
David Lusher (London England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Weather Systems (Audio CD)
This band just gets better and better and this album will not only please existing fans, but will surely expose a lot of new fans to their music. I detect influences of Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree in places (e.g. 'Internal Landscapes'), but the songs are all their own work. The two-part opener 'Untouchable' is superb and drifts from clever acoustic guitar, through pounding rock, and into exquisite balladry. I loved 'The Gathering Of The Clouds', as well as the fantastic 'The Beginning And The End'. This is first class music, beautifully played - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly stunning...an album that takes your breath away, 21 April 2012
Alan K (MILTON KEYNES, BUCKS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weather Systems (Audio CD)
The last few albums from Anathema have been superb with the most recent - 'We're here because we're here' and 'Falling Deeper' being outstanding, but the band have surpassed even those high standards with this new album - 'Weather Systems'. This new CD really does just take the breath away by creating an emotional roller coaster ride which manages to be sad, moving, uplifting and thought provoking throughout. Listen to the opening two tracks - 'Untouchable parts 1 & 2' and I defy any music lover to hear these amazing songs and not have their emotions running on overload. So many people will be able to relate to those words and be truly touched by the incredible and moving lyrics & music.
The CD keeps the stakes high with a series of powerful and highly accomplished songs. As a music lover in my fifties with so many great albums and musical memories, I can honestly say that this CD ranks up there with the best. Challenge your emotions and awake the senses and buy the CD. Great music and truly exceptional and head and shoulders above so much else out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising..!!, 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: Weather Systems -Ltd- (Audio CD)
I have heard of Anathema before now but never listened to them. Now I wonder .. what have I been missing? This album took my breath away from the very first listen. If you like thoughtful, melodic and, at times, arresting rock music, you should like this.
Untouchable Part 2 (the second track)is just one of the most haunting themes I have heard in many a year- and I have a lot of years to call on I can assure you.
So impressed am i, I have just bought the whole back catalogue !!
Let's hope this band gets the success they deserve..and the opportunity to make a whole lot more records like this !!

5.0 out of 5 stars How Good.....!!!!!!!!!!!!, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Weather Systems (Audio CD)
Simply stunning record from Anathema,not one bad track to be found,just received my
copy and have not stopped playing it.
Just a shame that they will probably never come to NZ, as to hear them
live i sure would be an experience never to be forgotten.
Listen to The Beginning and The End and you will be captured....!!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars MOR here we come?, 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: Weather Systems (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed their previous album, "We're Here Because We're Here", and had high expectations of this one. The overall feeling, having now listened to the album over a fair period of time, is of some disappointment. Many tracks are certainly not bad, but are not especially memorable and are an undemanding listen. "Weather Systems" is certainly pleasant and enjoyable overall. The music is performed and sung well, with some obvious high-points. - notably. track 7, "The Beginning & the End" in which the band actually cut loose a little from otherwise cosy blandness.

The problem, I feel, is that, perhaps in an attempt to become more mainstream, they have lost some of their 'prog' elements. Track 2, "Untouchable Part 2", is by no means poor, but you would not blink if some nascent 'star' performed it on "X-factor". There is a tendency to take one simple melody, and then simply repeat it over and over, but just add more and more instruments, play a bit louder, and up the vocal intensity. At times it can sound like 'over-emoting' - heading towards "Evanescence" territory? However, interestingly, I was surprised to discover that some of my younger relatives (a good 20-30 years younger than myself) are now fans, so maybe the strategy is working for them?

It would be nice if they could again develop a little more complexity in their music, be less 'formulaic', compose more involved melodies and themes, and bring the guitar to the fore a lot more on future albums. I will not buy their newest album until I have a chance to listen to it. I suspect it may be similar to this. They have worked hard for their success, and I am pleased for them - but I am not certain this direction is to my taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars top of the Game plan, 16 April 2012
This review is from: Weather Systems (Audio CD)
After the re-workings of older songs, it was good to hear a new Album from Anathema. this takes me back to "A natural Disaster" and "a Fine day to Exit". This is a great CD with no weak tracks at all. People often say " Pink Floyd-ish", but its so much more. My best purchase in many a month. Power, Grace, passion it's got the lot. nothing less than Brilliant, i want to give a sixth star.

5.0 out of 5 stars The progression of quality, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Weather Systems (Audio CD)
I've deliberately waited a few days before reviewing this. I'd read a lot of the stuff going round pre-release, about how emtional the album was, how the band felt at the height of its creative powers, etc. Well, it is emotional, and the band is at its heights. This is, put simply, a stunning album.

The track by track thing isn't for me. This is very much an album, a single concept with a theme running through it. With each listen, it continues to release its secrets and gems. The shades of darkness and light between Vince and Lees' voices is excellent, and they combine well, too. The production is sheer quality, with every aspect of the instruments and voices allowed the space to breathe and no individual element suffering at the expense of another.

I guess my main complement to the band is that I (like many others, I imagine) used to like them because they sounded like Pink Floyd. Now, I love them because they sound like Anathema. One of the UK's best bands by a country mile and it's a pity that the download generation will no doubt miss this opportunity to savour where music can take you.

I defy anyone to listen to 'Internal Landscapes' and not feel something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Anathema...every single track mesmerizing, 18 April 2012
Mr. Iain A. Morrison "Eoin Alexander" (Bearsden, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weather Systems (MP3 Download)
At last Anathemas new album out on general sale, and its a great combination of classic and rock music. The first 2 tracks will have emotions running high in you and the whole feel of the album is refreshing. The vocals are amazing and the guitar works really well with the violins. If you have not heard of Anathema before, buy this album and fall in love with these brilliant musicians.

4.0 out of 5 stars Weather Report, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Weather Systems (Audio CD)
The quality of Weather Systems is apparent from the opening acoustic guitar notes of Untouchable part 1 and run through almost an hour to the atmospheric end of Internal Landscapes.
Weather Systems is a natural progression from We're Here Because We're Here, the same mix of grace, atmosphere and beauty. The vocal splendour of Lee Douglas is prominent again and gives Anathema a very fresh, haunting feel, songs that make you feel and wonder.
This is an album you can really lose yourself in, sit back, read the lyrics and let the music wash over you. It really is that good.
I don't really want to mention individual tracks on the album for fear of diminishing the others but The Storm Before The Calm has the feel of the Judgement album to me, to date my favourite Anathema album and The Beginning And The End is fantastic.
I also like the sentiments of the closing track and Internal Landscapes feels like a very beautiful extension to Presence from the last album.

Weather Systems
Weather Systems by Anathema (Audio CD - 2012)