5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic, well thought out and versatile bag
So far I've mainly used this bag for commuting to work. As part of this I either jog or cycle, so I was interested to see how it stood up to these challenges.

Published on 16 Aug. 2012 by A. Milne

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better thought out
When I opened the package up, I thought I'd dropped a clanger and ordered a laptop bag by mistake because it appears to be so thin that it couldn't possibly be of any use ans airline hand baggage.
In fact, it turned out that when loaded up, the bag is supprisingly spacious and well made and is almost exactly the maximum dimentions allowed by most long haul operators...
Published 10 months ago by Baldie

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic, well thought out and versatile bag, 16 Aug. 2012
A. Milne "themilnes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The bag itself looks good, is pretty roomy and has many handy compartments. The main compartment opens out completely flat which is great for carrying work clothes as it means that you can lay your trousers etc in neatly instead of having to stuff them in through a small opening. There are also compression straps, as in a suitcase, for keeping such things in place. Also in the main compartment you can create an optional separate area for shoes/wet items etc by simply detaching some velcro tabs.

The shoulder straps are well padded, adjustable and comfortable to use. The waist straps and buckle are completely removeable, so don't get in your way if you don't need them. However, for hiking/jogging etc the waist straps are really handy and do a great job of keeping the bag in place. The bag also comes with a long detachable shoulder strap so that it can be carried on one shoulder instead of as a rucksack if you prefer. The detachable shoulder strap is in its own pocket on the outside of the bag - a pocket which is just the right size for a compact umbrella if you take the strap out. Very handy!

The one minor downside of this bag that I have discovered so far is that it sits quite high on your back. This wouldn't usually be a problem...however, when I'm cycling it means that it obstructs the view over my shoulder a little.

All in all I've been really impressed with this bag. It seems that someone at Berhaus has really thought about what people might want in a commuting/travelling bag and have actually delivered. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bag for traveling, 26 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Berghaus Chromia 30 Rucsac (Sports)
If you have been looking for a great lightweight bag for traveling / backpacking I highly recommend the Chromia 30. It is the perfect size for the seasoned traveller and will hold just enough gear to ensure that you don't weight yourself down. The zipper goes all the way to the bottom to make it very easy to pack and unpack at a hotel or hostel. The straps are good quality and are perfect for long hikes or use as a daypack.

If you plan on travelling light and don't need to carry a sleeping bag or tent this bag is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for areoplane had luggage., 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Berghaus Chromia 30 Rucsac (Sports)
I travel regularly across the entire range of air carriers. This bag meets all the requirement for hand luggage (even Ryanair!). Its pockets and divisions make it simple to pack everything in, in an easily accessible way and the compression straps in the main compartment are a fantastic feature. I also like the addition of the shoulder strap, good if you want to keep an eye on your bag in busy places.

A high quality, well thought out bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars A first-rate travelling companion, 29 July 2012
Hywel James "Hywel James" (Devon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have spent a few days trying out this backpack to test it for its capacity to hold a reasonable weight of material and for comfort while in use. It has passed those trials very successfully indeed. I think it is a first-rate travelling companion.

The Berghaus Chromia 30 sits comfortably high on the back and is well-padded and shaped, with good ventilation. The chest and hip belts are adjustable for height, and removable in the case of the latter. I particularly liked the side carrying strap so that if you have a laptop or other similar piece of kit, you can carry the pack like a suitcase.

The internal compression straps and the numerous pockets are useful; you can really organise, pack and carry your luggage well. Attention to other design aspects is also good:the luggage label holder, and the black and grey colours, with discreet lime green trim, make the backpack smart but not dull. Despite its Nordic-sounding name, Berghaus is a British brand, which started life in the North East, with a store in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, in 1966.

An excellent product. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly more of a rucksac than a laptop bag, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Berghaus Chromia 30 Rucsac (Sports)
I wanted a bag that I could carry a weeks shirts and underware in plus laptop and assorted accessories but which was not too obviously a laptop bag. I have now been using this for 2 months and love it ... but it does have some drawbacks

Positives:
=> Smart,
=> Excellent size - fits under an airline seat with space for my feet on each side while having just enough room for 4 shirts, spare trousers, gym kit, running shoes, wash stuff, laptop iPad, A4 notebook and assorted cables
=> Well designed for carrying as a backpack
=> External zip pocket is well placed and just the right size for a passport wallet and mobile

Negatives
=> Addition of a flap to zip across and tidy away the shoulder-straps would be a significant improvement. without this feature the additional shoulder strap provided is utterly pointless because you've still got the other straps flapping around
=> Padding for a laptop is poor - the pouch for your laptop is designed to be in the middle of the bag and thus protected: I don't trust it and put my laptop inside an additional padded pouch
=> Waist strap could do with beefing up a little - it's easily detached and the trade off has been that it is of no load bearing use at all

Overall - I use this for weekly commutes to Europe and it does the job of reducing my luggage to a single carry-on bag that I can then use all week purely for laptop extremly well and for the sale price of £30 it was great value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Backpack I have ever owned!!!, 14 Jun. 2014
C J. Lafferty "Col" (NW England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berghaus Chromia 30 Rucsac (Sports)
I have owned probably 20 / 30 day packs / overnight bags over the years. And I cannot recommend this Berghaus bag enough. It is so versatile with the main pocket with the full zip, as well as the smaller pocket with inserts for a laptop as well as pens, etc. Then a very convenient small top pocket to hold keys, wallet and phone. Handles and straps are all padded well, and theres a water bottle holder to one side.
I have used this backpack for all sorts of trips - weekends away, days out with kids, trips to the gym, shopping trips, day hikes. It is smart looking and provides adequate size for whatever you are upto,
Do not even hesitate to buy this product, you will be very happy with it. As a backpack person for over 25 years, i believe it is the best backpack I have ever owned. Well done Berghaus!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to Go a Wandering, 21 Aug. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On my list of items that I get excited about, rucksacks are not very high. They are essentially there to do a job; hold my things and stay on my back. This attitude has changed slightly with my new `Berghaus Chromia 30 Rucsack', suddenly rucksacks interest me. It goes to show that a little bit of quality will make a product stand out.

This is exactly what the `Chromia 30' provides, top quality. On a basic level it is just a rucksack, but it is the best rucksack that I have ever owned. The built quality for one is excellent, well stitched and made out of material that looks good and will last a long time. The straps are also better than the norm. You have your usual straps that attach the thing to your back, but you also get a side handle so you can carry it like a case, or a shoulder handle so you can carry it like a sports bag. These seem like little things, but it means that the `Chromia 30' is far easier to cart around public transport as you can quickly carry it and then put it on your back when needed.

The insides of the sack are the same high quality of the outside. It contains two main sections; the largest has clips in it to hold what you are carrying down. The slightly smaller section is on the front and has little pockets. A laptop could easily fit in this section. The quality material and stitching continues throughout and I get the impression that the bag will last a long time. Never again will I dismiss the humble rucksack and buy any old random thing; the `Chromia 30' has shown me that there is a better quality out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes the hassle out of travelling, 2 Aug. 2012
Sheila Camp "Sheila" (Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This arrived the day before I was going away so it really had an early "try-out"

Obviously being a rucksack it can be used for what rucksacks are normally used for. For me it took the hassle out of using a "proper" suitcase.

For someone who likes to travel light this rucksack was ideal. The size is perfect and it holds all I need (when I'm on holiday I don't take "fancy" clothes). I hate standing round the airport carousel waiting for my case and I feel this would fit in the overhead locker of a plane, although at the time of this review, this wasn't tried.

I don't have a laptop but there's a special laptop sleeve. My husband's e-reader fitted in this sleeve perfectly. There are plenty of pockets. The side and top carry handles along with the shoulder straps are padded. My husband carried this rucksack most of the time we were away and he said it was very comfortable. There's also a bottle pocket which made looking for somewhere to put our drink dead easy.

The rucksack is very versatile as it can also be used day to day, travelling to and from work and I can see family members asking for a lend when my husband isn't using it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but could be better, 25 July 2012
Paul Lynch (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Chromia is Barghaus's cross between a 30 lt daysack and a carry-on. As such, it has a compartment designated as a laptop sleeve (more later on that), and organiser slots, similar to those in a book bag. But it also has a side carry handle and clip-on shoulder strap, as well as standard backpack shoulder straps: which is a rather less happy marriage.

There are lots of good things to say about this bag, in either of its intended uses. As a daysack, it has back padding and mesh to reduce sweating discomfort, and the shoulder straps are nicely padded with dense foam as well. It also comes with the important chest and waist straps and a couple of mesh pockets (one water bottle sized).

As a carry-on, the dimensions fit into Ryanair's advertised allowable size, although I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet. When I do get the chance, I am worried that the backpack shoulder straps will get in the way; in theory, they should pack down, but there is no means supplied to restrain them - which would definitely be a problem for checked luggage. Some other features I like: the main compartment has a shoe/wet things area cordoned off at the bottom, and it FULLY UNZIPS, which makes packing a doddle. There are also two "compression" straps in there, which should help to prevent your things from moving about when in backpack mode. Only the main comparment zip has holes to permit a padlock, which curiously leaves the laptop compartment unlockable; and as carry-on luggage can so readily be forced to be checked, I'm not happy about that. There's also no provision for a luggage label: most modern carry-ons have a slot that allows the name to be read, but the owner's address can be concealed - and the product details again claim that it has one.

In the organiser section, the pockets feel rather perfunctory; for example, there are no specific pen organisers, and none of the pockets have flap closures, which means that things wil fall out when held sideways as a carry-on. There's a D-ring for keys and things, but it doesn't have an extension cord, which is unusual. The laptop section, or what I can only assume has to be the laptop section, is unpadded, contrary to the product description. There is a layer of foam between the two main compartments, but I really prefer proper padding all round my laptops - in which case a Crumpler Gimp case works well for me.

Summing up, this product works better as a basic daysack than as a carry-on, although it's not a bad carry-on. Most deficiencies can be worked around, with the sole exception of the backpack shoulder straps, which have no facility to put them out of the way (overhead lockers can be troublesome).

5.0 out of 5 stars Berghaus Chromia 30 Rucksack/Travel Bag, 6 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Berghaus Chromia 30 Rucsac (Sports)
Great bag, really comfortable, lots of space, perfect balance between size and utility - not too big, not too small, not too heavy. The relation between price and quality its great. Highly recommended.