4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and readable poetry.
I first heard Sophie Hannah read some of these poems a few years ago at the Aye Write book festival in Glasgow (I particularly remember "Rubbish at Adultery") but took a while to follow it up by reading any of her work.
Published on 5 Sep 2011 by Glasgow Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Pessimism for beginners
Decided it was not for me as I prefer narrative to poetry but I am sure poetry readers would enjoy it as there were many humorous and interesting pieces throughout.
Published 18 months ago by Tondy

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and readable poetry., 5 Sep 2011
Glasgow Reader (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Many of the poems are funny and light-weight, but her writing is lucid and direct, and a reminder that poetry is also about song and play, and our reaction to everyday, mundane things is also what helps define us.
I derived pleasure and enjoyment from reading these poems - and who can complain about that? I particularly enjoyed "Round Robin", "Astronomical", "Something and Nothing" and "Don't Say I Said".
The collection contains 40 poems and was a "Poetry Book Society Choice".

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 25 Jun 2013
Good read, gave it to my brother in law for his birthday, he loved it and passed it round the family

5.0 out of 5 stars stay up all night reading, 22 Jun 2011
M. Callaghan "mags" (London) - See all my reviews
Like all of Sophie Hannah's books I find myself staying up all night to finish them. This collection was no different

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry, 21 Nov 2010
I loved this book, massive fan of Sophie Hannah's fictional writing and this book shows a different side to her completely. I particularly like the poems Don't Say I Said and How I Feel Now, very moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, brittle, sharp, cruel, 22 Mar 2014
Love Books "Jessie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I hadn't read Sophie Hannah's poetry before, but heard her talking on the radio and thought I'd give her a go. I absolutely loved this compilation. Witty, modern and laugh out loud funny. Shocking in places. Brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars The poetry part was AMAZING, but..., 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Pessimism for Beginners (Kindle Edition)
There wasn't enough of it. I was hoping to read lots more considering what I paid for this Kindle treat, but there was a lot of wasted space at the end about her new novel.

Also, the formatting of the Kindle edition was most disappointing: the last line of several poems carried over onto the next page. Not what you'd expect from a mid-priced Kindle read.

Wish I'd got the paperback.

5.0 out of 5 stars when you need a laugh, 3 Mar 2009
L. Morgan (Colchester) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book - there are some little gems in here and always something to brighten your day when you're feeling really cynical

3.0 out of 5 stars Pessimism for beginners, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Pessimism for Beginners (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hannahists' last fix - how long till the next?, 21 Oct 2012
Simon Barrett "Il penseroso" (london, england) - See all my reviews
A darker Wendy Cope (and as proficient) one misses her wry, abrasive tone on the radio. I'm glad she's carved out a prose career for herself, but what's she (and Carcanet) doing plugging her second 'psychological thriller' in the back? Never mind - just so long as they subsidise the poetry, which is both thrilling and chilling - read Anyone Can Draw a Line

The five stars apply to *all* five of her poetry books, by the way, which dazzle equally - well, I haven't read Leaving, but there's a bunch in the Selected. I'm surprised not to see more reviews; her consistency is enviable

Pessimism for Beginners