4.0 out of 5 stars Full of Surprises
Published on 25 July 2012 by gigantosaurusrex

3.0 out of 5 stars A nicely told mystery
Well presented on the Kindle with good attention to Formatting, pagination and editing.

This is the second book to be selected by the new UK Kindle Forum Book Club - just normal Kindle readers reading for pleasure.

Published 19 months ago by Combat Wombat

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of Surprises, 25 July 2012
This review is from: Fraidy Hole (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written with a good plot and lots of possible candidates as the culprit of the crime. I enjoyed the relationship between the Sheriff and his Deputy and admired the girl's fight for survival. And there were two good surprises in the story that I didn't see coming 'till it was almost there and even then wasn't sure if it was going to happen the way I thought. I don't want to give away spoilers but I also was unsure about the ending and at one point thought it was going to end differently to how it did. Did it keep me on the edge of my seat with a tightening sensation in my chest? No. Did it keep me guessing and thinking about where it was going next and who might have done the crime? Yes

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a breathtaker., 17 July 2013
Aurora (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fraidy Hole (Kindle Edition)
A good story with some well observed situations. I found myself empathising with the victim in her imprisonment and holding my breath at the scary situations she had to deal with. As if being raped, beaten and left to die wasn't bad enough she had to deal with a further horror. Furthermore, we know, although she doesn't, that if she ever makes it out alive, she has much more to deal with. I liked the interactions between the Sheriff and his deputy, and their different, but complemetary approaches to the situation. The story did seem to meander a little in the midst of the investigation, but surely that is what happens, the clues are often sparse and the memory of the witnesses a little hazy at times. Here we have the most important witness getting himself injured and unable to help the police for some time, but when he is able, then things kick into a higher gear and really take off. I found the combination of events which served to frustrate the Police congruent.

3.0 out of 5 stars A nicely told mystery, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Fraidy Hole (Kindle Edition)

For the book club I'd surmise that this is about as "rich" as the general group want to go. It's not that greusome but it does touch on some pretty strong topics.

In terms of intensity and build up it actually goes backwards - I found the opening chapters quite extreme and after this "baptism of fire" the work undertaken by the sheriff to find her actually reduced the fire down to sparkling embers. And I liked it that way. You can only go so long at full throttle. The gentle building of the players and events worked well for this story and for me.
If you have watched the film "Fargo" you will appreciate the style of this book. Things happen, remarkable things for this quiet hamlet. But it's the people who live here that the story is really about.

If I'm being critical I have an issue with so few characters. It's a "who did what" and with so few people in there it's pretty clear who did do what.
As always, my advice to anyone who does something bad is to SHUT UP! The denouement of XX admitting the crime is Hollywood weak. I think we deserved a little better.
I'd have liked to learn more, a lot more about Morrison. I think his back and side story would have been interesting.

What I did like especially is that it's not one of those books that is going to keep you awake at night with terror. All in all an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christine, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fraidy Hole (Kindle Edition)
Another great book that I found to read on my kindle that I thoroughly enjoyed and finished with a twist.would definitely recommend for anyone who enjoys these type of books

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fraidy Hole (Kindle Edition)
I'm not in the habit of leaving reviews as never quite know what I'd say but I really enjoyed this book. characters were believable and kept me guessing right till the end. Well worth reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Fraidy Hole (Kindle Edition)
Only took a couple of days to read . The characters were interesting and there was a twist in the ending.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent thriller, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Fraidy Hole (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book, and would recommend it. However, from the other reviews I read I expected it to be much darker and scarier. Overall nicely written, but with few characters on the whole I felt it was fairly easy to work out the plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Freebie Jewel, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Fraidy Hole (Kindle Edition)
I got this book as a free download and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest.
This books alternates between the investigation & the victim's predicament. Also involves plenty of subplots of the people involved in the investigation & being investigated.
I love the story-line but almost gave up reading it due to the bits with slow pace. Luckily I picked it up again out of curiosity & was rewarded with an amazing rush of adrenaline towards the end.
****SPOILER ALERT****
I loved Melissa's courage & resourcefulness. The writing was so well done, I could feel the terror in the fraidy hole, especially when the snake slithered in.
As far as the investigation went, I was a little disappointed, but the writing was excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daisy hole, 28 Feb 2013
Very good from start to finish.kept you on your toes from page 1
Couldn't pit this book down.my first book on a kindle

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book (and free on Kindle!), 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: Fraidy Hole (Kindle Edition)
Half way through this book and it's a very good read. The characters are strong and its a 'Proper story' as my old gran would say. You can't get much better that free. I will certainly be looking out for this Author.

Fraidy Hole