5.0 out of 5 stars Another great collection of shorts !
Another set of excellent short stories from Shaun Jeffrey. I really liked the first collection, Voyeurs of Death, so I was not disappointed to find that The Mutilation Machination follows the same path and brings more strange and weird and dark and unusual stories to the reader.

Published on 1 Mar. 2012 by Lorraine Versini

3.0 out of 5 stars Good stories, but overall a mixed bag
I was a little unsure how to rate this one, and I think I'd probably give it a little more than 3 stars, but not 4. So take 3 as a restriction of the Amazon rating system.

Published on 2 Sept. 2012 by Mike N

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great collection of shorts !, 1 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Mutilation Machination (Kindle Edition)

As usual, they're written in a way that will immerse you into the story right away, and as a reader you'll never really know what's coming next.

Can't help but feeling like it's too short though ! Must mean I'm hooked, keep wanting more and more and it's never enough !

Totally recommended !

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling, 25 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Mutilation Machination (Kindle Edition)
Another sublime collection of creepy, thought provoking and thoroughly enjoyable short stories by Shaun Jeffery. Again, many scenes that he conjures through his words will long remain with me. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very creepy set of shorts!, 28 July 2012
This review is from: The Mutilation Machination (Kindle Edition)
This is an anthology of 8 short stories. There is a theme of the darkness of the human soul running through them.

These were really creepy. The author does a good job of making you look over your shoulder as you read them! One or two of them had me scratching my head a bit, but this did not lessen my enjoyment of them any. On the whole it was an enjoyable romp through the darkness of the author's mind! I totally recommend this anthology but say don't read them on your own or in the dark as you may find yourself seriously freaked out, as I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Meddling, 31 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Mutilation Machination (Kindle Edition)
A collection of short stories that differ from each other immensely. From the unnerving 'The Algae' to the chilling 'In Darkness', each tale envelopes you instantly, no faffing around with info-dumping here.

Shaun Jeffrey has the ability to drag the reader into the story, either kicking and screaming or at their own free will, this means however that every dark moment is intensified. There are some lovely turns of phrase within the text, things like, 'The walls either side of the entrance were daubed with the modern day hieroglyphics of graffiti artists'. and 'its limbs moving with the stiffness of a soldier on parade'. These may be short stories but they are well thought out and concisely written by an author who makes every word matter.

This isn't your Koontz, King, Hutson generic horror, this is cleverly manufactured and highly articulated horror, no need for a gore-fest with Jeffrey, he'll meddle with your imagination and leave you open-mouthed at the end of each tale. There are moments when you think you have second guessed the author only for him to prove you wrong, leaving you asking questions of yourself and your own innermost thoughts.

My favourite phrase in the book, is such a clever piece of writing that this alone should make you want to download this today, 'He laughed. It sounded like explosions going off in his throat'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Horror and illusion, stories that will make you think, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Mutilation Machination (Kindle Edition)
Eight short stories by a gifted writer, ranging from malfunctioning sex dolls, to a blind woman reading the signs of danger in everyday life, even to the devil Himself moving in next door. Here you will find horror and illusion, stories that will make you think.

There are eight short tales included in The Mutilation Machination by Shaun Jeffrey, and while not all of these are the strongest work by this author the majority of them produce enough to a punch to make them enjoyable and entertaining.

Although perhaps the shortest story in the collection, Sweet Music was one of my favorites, and Clockwork and In Darkness were right up there as the pinnacle stories in this book. Not so Different contains great characters, something missing from much short fiction, and its ending is pretty damn good.

Yeah, okay, you could find better work from Shaun Jeffrey out there, but if you're looking for an example of this author's well-crafted, engaging prose then you wouldn't be making a mistake buying this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great imagination!!, 29 May 2012
This review is from: The Mutilation Machination (Kindle Edition)
This book was chosen as a kindle group read this month...and after reading and thoroughly enjoying I felt I should leave a review..I am not generally a fan of short stories as I love to immerse myself in a novel but these tickled my imagination( I am a horror Fan).I would love to be able to think up original tales like these and be able to put them as vividly into words as Shaun Jeffrey does so well..As with any compilation you have favourites..the least for me was the title tale "The Mutilation Machination" but everyone has different tastes..I loved some of the twists,found some slighly amusing and shocking,definitely recommend for a quick dip into and have kept it on my kindle to dip into again and again..a good length selection of stories for the horror fan who wants to read something original,well told and imagined!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and sinister tales, 15 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Mutilation Machination (Kindle Edition)
This book of short stories is delightfully dark. All of the stories are sinister and most of them work very well indeed.

The author has thought up some very imaginative ideas, and I am slightly afraid of how his brain works! I raced through the book, each story wanting me to read the next. If you like your short stories chilling and very dark, this book is for you. You won't find much joy here!

The only story that I didn't get on with was the title story. It was well-written, as with the rest of the book, but it was too removed from reality for my taste; it left me cold in the end. However, I fully enjoyed the other stories and it's well worth a look if you like your stories dark and murky!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good stories, but overall a mixed bag, 2 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Mutilation Machination (Kindle Edition)

The story concepts are good - I don't think there's a bad one amongst them. The book itself is well proofread, and doesn't contain the myriad of typos and grammatical errors that are so often found in the cheaper / free eBooks (and, to be fair, in some of the full priced ones!) I find it very hard to read books that contain a lot of mistakes, so this was a huge plus for me! (I did find one mistake in the last story - a couple of missing words in one sentence).

So why only 3 stars, and not 4 or 5? Well, when I started reading I thought the first piece was written in a somewhat simplistic manner. It read more like a list of actions than a well-flowing narrative. I did notice that the writing seemed to improve the further into the book I got, and I strongly suspect these stories are included in the order they were written, and what we see is the development of the author's writing ability. Still, the earlier ones at least would have benefited from a little judicious editing.

I was also turned off a little by the title story, which seemed to be an effort to emulate Clive Barker (or some similar author). It reads a little as an experiment in a new style by the author, and I'm not sure he ever manages to pull it off.

That being said, I enjoyed all the stories. Some were better than others (of course!), and for 77p it's well worth picking up.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable collection of short stories, 10 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Mutilation Machination (Kindle Edition)
A great collection of dark and twisty short stories. Despite this not being a genre I have read much I found that I really enjoyed this collection. I will definitely be reading more from Shaun Jeffrey

3.0 out of 5 stars Mutilation Machination, 2 April 2012
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Mutilation Machination (Kindle Edition)
I'm not sure this is the genre for me. I enjoy horror, generally speaking, but I need to feel engaged, rather than a voyeur. I like to have that chill breath on the back of my neck that makes me think, 'Could this really happen?' If it could, it's truly horrific. I only felt this with 'Clockwork' from this collection.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›