5.0 out of 5 stars History and Fiction mingled into an actionpacked adventure
Another Assasins creed, this time in a new setting: the colonies!
The plot line was a refreshment the game desperately needed, I can only highly recommended !
Published 16 months ago by P. Geeroms

3.0 out of 5 stars Good game, but the exclusive content is expired
I have all the consoles, so choosing which version to buy, gave me a hard time. Fortunately, the PS3 version would include 60minutes of exclusive gameplay. So I ordered the PS3 version.

Published 14 months ago by P. Duley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good game, but the exclusive content is expired, 30 May 2013
P. Duley (Bergen, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3] (Video Game)

When I got the game and opened it, I tried to enter the code, but got an invalid message. I read through the manuals and saw that the code did only last until March 31st. I was not informed by this in any way.

I mean amazon should have informed me of this before my purchase.

Just a little heads up to the people buying this version for the exclusive content.

3.0 out of 5 stars A heady brew of towering ambition and immense frustration, 28 Nov 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3] (Video Game)
'Assassin's Creed III' is a clear labour of love. The world that Ubisoft have created is as dense as it is expansive; as beautiful as it is alive. But it varies wildly between moments that are utterly inspired, and others which are the total opposite. Indeed, the game is a project of such ambition that at points it's obvious that Ubisoft bit off more than they could chew. And although AC3's failings tower above the successes of other games, those failings are conspicuous enough that this final instalment in Desmond's story marks a step backward even as Ubisoft take two steps forward.

The game has four main problems. First, the character of Connor - a half-English, half-Native hybrid out for revenge against the Templars who burned down his village - comes across as little else than a hot-blooded brat, spouting platitudes about `freedom' like a broken record. He has none of the likability or gravitas of AC2's Ezio Auditore, against whose legacy he pales. It was very difficult to invest emotionally in the character, and ultimately, his story, despite an enthralling backdrop and a strong set of villains. Connor's blandness is also a particular disappointment given the exceptional quality of the first three sequences of the game, during which the player steps into the boots of Connor's father, Haytham, whose moral complexity and quiet charisma made him a sumptuous aperitif preceding a half-baked main.

Second, although the world is vast, much of the gameplay (especially the side missions) just feels like filler. This has always been true of Assassin's Creed to some extent, but Ubisoft managed to mix it up a lot more in AC2, pulling it off with such verve that it was rarely a chore. AC3 marks a serious step back in this respect, with many of the side missions being simply recycled if not outright duplicated. It's so formulaic that there's next to no incentive to bother engaging with them. The biggest travesty of all, however, is the management of Connor's settlement. Unlike in AC2, its development hinges on completing banal tasks for the inhabitants. Direct management of the economy is possible but it's so unclear how to engage with it that it just comes across as needlessly complex filler.

Third, although stealth is still very much a factor, it has an erratic role in the gameplay and can be needlessly frustrating. For example, once Connor has been spotted, it's not possible to hide again until you escape your enemies, which is incredibly difficult to do. The notoriety system, in particular, is very unforgiving, a bizarre feature in a game which overall prioritises combat over stealth. It's also a shame because stealth and prowess only translates into the first two or three Templars Connor assassinates, sections which show off the very best of the game and are sadly dispensed with later on.

Finally, the game weirdly suffers from its commitment to realism and period detail. This isn't Ubisoft's fault per se; but the architecture of eighteenth century Boston and New York was very utilitarian. The urban environments may be atmospheric and faithfully recreated, but they are also bland and repetitive (again, duplication is an issue), making them a chore to traverse as they are expansive. However, despite the visual commitment to historical accuracy, Ubisoft end up pulling their punches in terms of substance. The British are staunchly the `bad guys' here, even if passing reference is made to corruption and hypocrisy among the Continentals, and their penchant for slavery. Given how exhilarating and intellectually stimulating the settings of the Holy Land, Renaissance Italy and Constantinople were, AC3 disappoints overall.

But where AC3 excels, it really excels. The gameplay itself has largely been perfected. The combat system has been revised and turns fighting into a brutal, fluid ballet. There's much more emphasis on being proactive in combat (previously a major problem in the series) and it's more challenging as a result. And it looks beautiful. Few things become more satisfying than effortlessly cutting down a column of redcoats in fresh fallen snow. Climbing and movement is perfectly executed, Connor lurching around with the agility and ferocity of a cougar. The diverse, open world of the frontier is a saving grace, especially given the constraints of the cities. And sometimes, the gameplay meshes perfectly with the story and setting, creating memorably cinematic moments: be it sprinting up Bunker Hill, avoiding British volleys; or clambering up a cliff face without being spotted to reach your target; or chasing your target through the chaos of a French-Indian ambush on a British column in the wilderness. Lorne Balfe's score is a great complement to these moments.

Indeed, AC3 is worth the purchase on account of its ambition and scale alone. Ubisoft have surpassed themselves in terms of the overall polish and slickness they have brought to AC3, qualities that previous instalments never quite possessed in the same way. However, while it's natural that in a game this size there are bound to be holes, in the case of AC3 the holes are large. Most of its boils down to the repetitive nature of the gameplay, making for a bloated experience even though the story itself feels rushed and half-baked by its end. Ubisoft have simultaneously inspired as much disappointment as they have awe.

3.0 out of 5 stars What on earth happened!?, 17 Nov 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3] (Video Game)
This is the first time I'm giving an Assassin's Creed game 3/5 stars. All other games in the franchise received excellent ratings from me. Hear me out.

The game is visually stunning as always. The music is outstanding as always. The setting, story, and characters, however, are not as great as they were in the previous instalments. Ezio and even Altair had more charm than Connor, and their stories were more gripping than this one. Now, I had my fun playing this game and there were parts where I said, "wow". But this game is so riddled with bugs that it looks like Ubisoft needed way more time to polish it than they took. And I'm inclined to blame their "Call of Duty" strategy of releasing yearly games for this issue. I thought the combat was the smoothest in Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood, with some complaints about them in Revelations. But the combat and controls in AC 3 can be ridiculously annoying and inaccurate.

As far as multiplayer is concerned, what can I say. I'm not a huge multiplayer person so for a game to suck me into MP mode is actually quite an achievement. So far, I have only managed to log into Multiplayer a few times, thanks to a Ubisoft issue whereby the linking of Ubisoft passport and servers is faulty and it throws people into Limited Mode with no chance of getting online. Having paid the full price for a new game, it is disappointing that one of the main features of the game is inaccessible for many people around the world due to a bug. However, from what I have played so far, the MP is no better than the first time it was introduced in Brotherhood, honestly.

I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed series so I'm not ashamed to admit that I'll probably buy every game in the franchise till I wake up and realize that I'm being robbed and call it quits. But I would be lying if I said that this game was the same quality that was promised to gamers. As a matter of fact, I'll go ahead and say that Assassin's Creed 3, with all factors accounted for, ranks below all other AC games in my opinion. AC 2 was the best one hands down, followed by Brotherhood. THIS, however, doesn't come close.

Feel free to disagree and thank you for reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disastrous darling, 22 Mar 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3] (Video Game)
Like many other reviews here, the single most important thing happens to be the biggest let down... the character of Connor. There seems to be almost no trait of distinction about the character, he may as well be Desmond (which is a very bad thing indeed, but I'll come back to him in a bit). In the 1st Assassins Creed, Altair was at least a mysterious, vicious bugger. Who may not have set pulses racing, but was identifiable, you could buy into him as a leading character. AC II with Ezio was amazing, he was immediately charming and hugely likeable, you really wanted to do your best for him, and although his character waned in Revelations (which was 1 game too far in the franchise), he was always very human. ACIII Connor... I don't know what went wrong with the character development meetings here, but he ain't a leading character. Just could not get on with him at all, don't care about his story, life, motivation, just don't like him at all. Don't get me wrong, I tried a fair few hours of trying to get into this game, but found it non-rewarding, tedious and just plain dull. There is NO hook.
Ok, Desmond... he has been the achilles heel to AC, you play him because you need to get to the story, if you could skip using him, I think everyone would. The games do not even need the Abstergo/Desmond modern part of the story. He's just plain awful. Character Assassination over, now for the other bits...

Game play, yes the free-running is exceptionally fluid, and far more varied than before but, why change the controls? I like having to combine the controls for him to be able to say, jump and grab whilst running, it gives the illusion of more control. And whoever changed the combat controls needs their head examined, they have (in my opinion) detracted from the enjoyment of combat (even if, admittedly, the fight sequences are prettier). I had a gap from playing AC III, went back to playing it and completely forgot how to fight and was trying to fight AC I/II/BH stylie... should've left it alone.

The side missions, no no no no no no no no no. Who gives a cr*p about being a delivery boy, playing hide and seek, trapping animals, rescuing impolite people, killing people who have done nowt to deserve it. Running around for miles doing sod all, and whats the trading thing all about?, naval battles?, why? All very disengaging.
The setting of the game is poor. Maybe a setting such as the French Revolution would have worked better as a story, but I guess that Ubisoft wouldn't have been able to tap quite so hard into the US market then?

So, to surmise...

Bad Points:
Connor
Desmond (as always)
Change in controls
Side Missions
General setting

Good Points:
Assassins Creed III is beautiful to look at, as ever.
It is truly beautiful.

In short: All Fur Coat and No Knickers

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so good..., 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3] (Video Game)
I have played through all the AC games so far and enjoyed them all so I was really looking forward to the release of this edition. I did have some doubts with it being a new main character and new time setting, but I had heard of the improvements mad graphically wise and the old characters were getting a little stale.
At the beginning, I was drawn in to the era and the feel for the game and graphically it is breath taking in paces, and you actually get to take Desmond on some fun outings. The arrival of the Naval missions is the best plus by far you do actually feel like you are sailing a ship of the time period.
Unfortunately, there the good news ends. The supposedly improved free run controls have actually slowed the game down, due to constantly running in to walls / trees / cliffs that cannot be climbed and just jumping up and down for several seconds whilst the group of soldiers you were trying to escape from run up and attack.
The story line which I have to admit was interesting to start just didn't develop for my liking. I feel a lot more could have been done with the arena and characters available. The worst thing for me has to be the extra 100% sync conditions (I had no problem in the earlier editions as they were sensible and made the game a little more edgy). Unfortunately in this edition there are too many for my liking. Most missions end up with three and sometimes four different sync points. This just seems to take a beautiful open game and put that many constrictions on it, it feels very linear. I seemed to be too busy checking what I had to do and what extra conditions were being added as I played the mission that I was loosing interest in what I was actually doing.
There are lots of side missions to play through whilst on your journey through the American Frontier some interesting and fun and some totally tedious, again for myself I would rather have less side missions and more main story line content.
The Multi Player mode now fees a little more balanced. There are some new game types, Domination (as the Cod game of the same name) and Wolfpack, which is a very welcome Co-op game. Unfortunately (at point of release) we have lost the great Chest Capture, Corruption and Steal the Artifact. There are one or two new abilities and one or two have been removed which you may or may not notice depending on your playing style.
All in all I feel it could have been so much better. Considering it was the most anticipated game of the year it has felt a little like a damp squib for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars History and Fiction mingled into an actionpacked adventure, 22 April 2013
P. Geeroms "PJ" (Vlaanderen) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3] (Video Game)
Another Assasins creed, this time in a new setting: the colonies!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good game but unplayable due to the bugs, 24 Nov 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3] (Video Game)
I love this series, so I was looking forward to this and ordered it from Amazon upon its release. Straight away there was a problem very close to the beginning of the game. Trying to blow up the barrels outside the gate was a nightmare. After much fiddling a white mark eventually appeared and was finally able to move forward. But it wasnt obvious and in fact the white marker wasnt there initially anyway. There have been several other glitches along the way which I have managed to bypass. But I am now at a point (sequence 6, Memeory 2 "An Angry Frenchman")where I cannot go any further no matter what I do. The game just freezes towards the end of the memory when the message comes up and says press down and hold L2 to select you assasin before you send the frenchman to kill the smuggler henchman. I have restarted the memory 6 or 7 times now and the same thing happens. Unfortunately I have had enough and will be returning the game to Amazon as it is clearly faulty and should never have been released without a proper quality control inspection to iron out these glitches before letting go on sale.

The game itself though (with the exception of the glitches ) is great. I love the story how it follows on and links to the past and is ever getting closer to the finale. Its almost like an interactive movie which I love. The gameplay is pretty fluid but there are occassions where you are sneaking up on someone and end up just crashing into them instead of killing them. Graphic are so so. Overall, this has a makings of another great title but unfortunately due to number of glitches and bugs its unplayable. I may rebuy in 6 or so months time and hopefully by then all the problems will have be resolved. Until then I am afraid its going back to Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Assassin's Creed III, 4 Nov 2012
M. Cron (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3] (Video Game)
At time of writing I am halfway through the game on PS3, and although I am enjoying parts of it, it really feels like this franchise needs to change drastically or go away for good.

Positives

- The new sailing/ship battles are excellent; completely fresh and exciting style of gameplay, fantastic graphics and a good upgrade system. It is really great sailing up and down gigantic waves whilst firing a broadside at an enemy frigate.

- The new setting is a welcome change from medieval times. Although the cities in the previous three games were beautifully rendered and interesting, they had run their course. The free-running through trees is also well thought out and a great change.

- Some interesting new kill techniques, rope-darting somebody and then stringing in them up in a tree is definitely fun. There are also some very fluid swordplay animations, and hunting animals provides a reasonable distraction.

Negatives

- Some of the animations are lazy, the lip syncing in particular, and there are lots of glitches such as vanishing people/props, flickering backgrounds, freezing at certain points. It just feels unfinished.

- The Desmond storyline is just a bit silly; the whole apocalypse thing is boring, frankly I don't care. I wish the game could just be set in the time period it is in. The longer it goes on the more ridiculous it gets.

- The system for creating/managing resources on your homestead is complicated and annoying, it was great in the previous games where you could purchase beautiful buildings or paintings to increase the value of your estate, following `recipes' to create wooden barrels so I can ship iron filings is NOT fun.

- Changing the combat controls seems unnecessary; it has stayed the same for the last few games and jogging it about complicates things. I also think that AC is in desperate need of a `Sneak' button, all other stealth games seem to have it, and it is really annoying when through a minor error or a glitch the whole undetected status collapses and you have to kill absolutely everyone or do the whole thing again.

Overall

- A welcome change of character and setting, but ultimately a bit worn-out. Brilliant naval gameplay and good weapons. Boring resource management and boring back story. For me, AC 2 was the best game, first seeing renaissance Italy in all its glory, and being able to modify your own estate was so original, I don't think it will be bettered by any of the sequels, which all merely try to equal it, and ultimately fail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3] (Video Game)
Excellent graphics, excellent story, it was all refreshing and amazing to play. What can I say? Bring the next one!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3] (Video Game)
Quite good game. I liked more the Assasins Creed 2, but this is better in graphics and playing. Highly recommended

Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3]