5.0 out of 5 stars Jaz and Co. Create Another Classic!
"I can't think of a single Killing Joke album that hasn't been traumatic!" - Jaz Coleman, 2012.

Published on 2 April 2012 by Martin Leitch

3.0 out of 5 stars Good.. but not Absolute Dissent
I have to start by stating, as a KJ fan of 25+ years, 2010's "Absolute Dissent" is, for me, the very best album they've ever produced. It's against this backdrop, with the original line-up back together & firing on all cylinders (and finding a few some bands never even know exist), that expectations for MMXII were, to say the least, pretty high.
It's not that...
Published 4 months ago by C. Limited

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaz and Co. Create Another Classic!, 2 April 2012
This review is from: MMXII (Audio CD)

Well, this one doesn't break the mould! A typically harrowing album of apocalyptic visions, modern concentration camps, the destruction of human emotion, corporate corruption and the immorality of man. In short, not for the faint of heart. Mind you, Killing Joke have never been a normal band, more of a cult, and their Lyrics have always been, to some ears downbeat - though to others, a worryingly real possibility. In recent years, they've been particularly furious - in 2003 after a 7 year hiatus they released Killing Joke, Jaz's venomous vocals this time even more violent sounding than before, three albums later, and the anger is still apparent - possibly slightly less intense than it was 9 years ago, but with just as much impact.

For those who are judging The Joke's latest work on the album's single, In Cythera, don't - though this album is the second with the original line up since Youth's departure in '82, they haven't gone soppy with age, as 2010's Absolute Dissent showed. Whereas In Cythera's comparatively honeyed tones are fairly reminiscent of the 1985 mega hit Love Like Blood or Brighter Than a Thousand Suns' Adorations - in the sense that they've all got catchy melodies and show the band at their most melodic - but also don't sound the faintest bit like their best, or least most typical, work - the rest of the album is more in line with their post Extremities Dirt and Various Repressed Emotions era - a raw post-punk come metal work, as opposed to a polished indie rock album. Don't get me wrong though, In Cythera is a great song, and a welcome break from the heaviness of the rest of the record.

Pole Shift opens the album and the first thing that struck me was that unlike the last three albums, it doesn't suddenly blast into being - there's no screaming and Geordie's guitar isn't even there. In fact, it opens with subtle creaks and sounds from the synths and a plodding melodic bass line from Youth...is this the start of a new, more gentile era for the Joke? No. It's not. In fact, it merely follows a grunge style format of quiet (well, fairly quiet) verse and loud (very loud) chorus - once you get used to this it's actually a really cool break from the norm. Don't bother to get to used to it though, because in typical KJ fashion, the next track is completely different - where as Pole Shift was, I suppose you could say, a more thoughtful song, Femma Camp is a typically crazed number, though somewhat riff-ier then Geordie's normal style - whatever it is though, it's awesome. The next three songs follow in a similar fashion - brutal, edgy riffs that AC/DC would be quite happy with and an overall sound that tops many more youthful bands of the same ilk. Rupture is worthy of particular note - it's the first track that fans got to hear from the album, around a month before it came out - and all I can say is, it's as razor sharp as we all remember it being - heavy enough to give the uninitiated a heart attack - frantic punk metal of the best variety.

The next half of the album shows a minor slowing in pace - the aforementioned In Cythera continues proceedings, whilst Primobile's gothic sound is so dark that it makes the likes of The Cure look upbeat. Just throw a massive metaphorical turd in the face of anyone who dares to predict what comes next on a Joke album, Glitch follows up Primobile, juxtaposing the slow gloom of Primobile with crushing heaviness. Trance also acts as a sonic punch in the face, whilst the closer, On All Hallow's Eve, shows another slowing in pace with its ominous booming drums and plodding bass bringing us back down to earth after an hour of insanity in music.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that this is one of The Joke's best - to my mind Absolute Dissent is a superior album, it's heavier, and it's highs are just that little higher than MMXII's, but it's still a very good album - there's no doubting that, even if in places its just a touch weaker than their previous few releases (Although, Jaz himself has said that he genuinely thinks it's their best album - and who can argue with him?), never the less, a new Killing Joke album is always a bit of an event for fans - new releases don't come along often - and with a relative burst of activity and more planned this year (a limited edition Live album comes out soon and a Killing Joke in Dub album has been hinted at) this is still a brilliant way to kick things off.

Standout Tracks: Pole Shift, Rapture, In Cythera & On All Hallow's Eve

5.0 out of 5 stars Album Of The Year So Far, 2 April 2012
This review is from: MMXII (Audio CD)
It's hard to put this into a long winding review, or to sit and try and describe each song. This musical journey is yours alone, and you will hear these songs differently to me. One thing should be said however - this is an outstanding album.

I always see Killing Joke as a band that over such a long career have always delivered in one way or another. They may have sounded different on many occasions; experimented and evolved, but they always put out consistently good music.

But this album is something else. This is their best effort in a long time, built on the strong foundation of the previous album and the 2003+ resurgence.

Killing Joke, although around for 30+ Years, may be in their best form in these later years and may have just released one of their best albums of all time. This album is a fantastic effort from a group of extremely talented musicians, and deserves every glowing review. Fans will not be disappointed.

Buy this album, keep this band going, because judging on recent and specifically this effort, we cannot show enough appreciation. Long live the joke.

5.0 out of 5 stars A review from a "non" fan, 14 April 2012
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: MMXII (Audio CD)
I may be wrong but I believe all of the previous reviews are from folk who would consider themselves fans of the band, to lesser or greater extents. I am not. Sure I've been aware of them but never felt the need to actively go out and buy something they have produced. I have now. This album has succesfully crossed over to a "casual" listener. This may dismay fans who want to keep the likes of me out of the gang as I cannot possibly relate to what the band are about but believe me, if you feel like this then you are missing the point. I like great music. This album has great music on it, heartfelt lyrics, bombast by the ton and rocks like a b@stard. I will immediately set to listening to the back catalogue and see if I finally "get" it - only thirty odd years too late for some.

5.0 out of 5 stars magnificent !!!!, 5 April 2012
This review is from: MMXII (MP3 Download)
my twopenneth...

this album is quite simply stunning - stark, dark, beautiful and strangely hopeful.

the only complaint i have is that 'on all hallow's eve' is too short.

i have followed the band since the very early 80's and MMXII has just swept me away.

I have said elsewhere that i find it amazing that out of all the bands from my youth Killing Joke are the only ones to have survived and the maturity evident here just makes me feel doubly blessed.

i am buying a copy for all my friends

breathtaking !!!

bravo

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential listening., 3 April 2012
Mr. M. L. Hawes "Mitchmusic" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: MMXII (Audio CD)
Writing a review as a fan of over 20 years always makes life, difficult. Being partial to the band you've seen most, listened to most and loved most of all, makes it tricky to speak from the standpoint of a new listener.
However, here goes:

Killing Joke are one of Britains finest bands. For the past 30 years, they have toiled away producing albums all of which have relevance with the times they were produced in. Embodying the spirit of post punk, combining the dark shadows of Joy Duvision with the lyrical dexterity and relevance of Penny Rimbaud and then somehow finding new ground with every release is something incredibly rare in a band of this longevity.

With MMXII, Killing Joke have made an album completely in tune with the knife edge mood of the day. Social references abound, observations on the influence of bankers, corporate greed and impending climatic doom may not sound like the perfect tea time listening but really, this is a colossal work embodying the best of every wonderful album this band has ever released.

Somehow, Killing Joke have moved on, remained relevant where others have become almost parody, a tribute to their past. They know how to write motivating music, songs which you'll turn to as reference as you would a fine work of political observation and that is where my love of this band lives. In knowing that somehow, through this madness, this age of greed, this implosion of creeds, that someone out there can see things as I do.

They just keep on getting better and better.

And by the way, this is an album, not a work to break down into pieces. There is dark and light, heavy and delicate. Save yourself that money you were going to spend on a chinese takeaway or that copy of the latest Coldplay album that will gather dust in a day or two and buy something that you'll love and play again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE MOST IMPORTANT ARTISTS IN THE WORLD!, 2 April 2012
This review is from: MMXII (Audio CD)
Question!"Why do they not teach Quantum Physics to 5yr olds"? Answer, "Because 5yr old minds have not yet evolved enough for them to understand"! With reference to a previous reviewer "Gary" Sorry mate,but i'm sure you will catch up at sometime with the rest of us!

The world needs bands like Killing Joke, except there really is no one like Killing Joke. They truely are one of a kind.I've not always liked every album they have made, but they are better now than ever!
Jaz's voice sounds better than it's ever sounded. The songs are full of Power, Passion and Yes, Melody! There's nothing wrong with that! As for over produced! Well,if you like to hear each individual instrument, and each one sounds awsome and full of clarity, then if that's over produced, give it to me anytime!

This is an Amazing Album from a Truely Amazing group of Artists!I pray that Killing Joke continue to produce work as special as this, we need them too,the world needs them too!

For those of you who are not yet Awake and do not like this Album, please don't despaire!
Listen too this album in a few years time and maybe, just maybe, you will understand!

Sending Love & Light.

5.0 out of 5 stars On a sunny day!, 2 April 2012
This review is from: MMXII (Audio CD)
I like diversity. I like Killing Joke. I'm not one of those who wants to hear regurgitation of previous triumphs. I liked Absolute Dissent although not all of it. This one, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish as far as I'm concerned. I have to say that I like all of it, some more than others perhaps but not to the point of skipping tracks.

At first I found "Pole Shift" a bit of a challenge (as I did when I heard it live a month ago) but I get it now and for a nine minute song its skips along quite briskly. "Fema Camp" has a brutal twisty riff, "Rapture" is a slash and burn killer - already a favourite and "Corporate Elect" with the energy it exudes, sounds like a band in their late teens.

However, my favourite three tracks are "In Cythera", "Primobile" and "On All Hallows Eve" simply because, when they get it right, there's nobody to beat Killing Joke for melancholy! Melancholy with beautiful uplifting tunes.

Finally, the track not spoilt by advanced free downloads "New Uprising". A belter lads!

Not a bad song in the deck IMHO. Smashing album!

5.0 out of 5 stars The return to form is complete., 9 April 2012
Mark Evans "Zillionairemark" (Carmarthen,Wales,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MMXII (Audio CD)
I became a Kiling Joke fan smack bang in the middle of what are for me their best 4 albums - Night Time,Brighter Than A Thousand Suns,Outside The Gate & Extremeties...since then we've had Pandemonium & Democracy which contained some good singles but the albums weren't up to much (imho)..Killing Joke 2003 had it's moments & so did the Hosannas album but for me at that time they were heading down a much heavier route musically which to be honest I didn't really like - KJ are much better than that.

On Absolute Dissent I thought they were really returning to form , on MMXII the return is pretty much complete..it's a fuller sound than the previous album which was a little raw in places - there's a lot more synth & Geordie's guitar is sounding a lot more like we've come to know and love , plus thankfully Jaz seems to be singing a lot more on this record than on the previous 3 or 4 which contained too much yelling for my liking.

Stand - out tracks for me are "Colony Collapse","In Cythera","Glitch" and the sublime "Primobile" - which for me along with Absoulute Dissent's "European Superstate" - is the best thing they've done in 20 years.

Fantastic stuff..I hope the next album is as good..9/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet KJ Fan, 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: MMXII (Audio CD)
Over the last 35 years i have followed the joke good or bad. Over the last 35gv albums I have been astounted by the quality & intensity of these albums. Keep the fire burnig. (R.I.P. RAVEN)

Lots of love from Kilmarnock & myself. I wish you had fitted in a date on your Joke/Cult/Mission but you cant have everythhing you want in life.

Take care

Lyle

ps
if you want my e-mail address its: lyle.derek@yahoo.com

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME.........., 12 May 2012
This review is from: MMXII (Audio CD)
Well wot can i say, my Husband got me this cd recently for my birthday, fantastic Corporate Elect,In Cytheria,Glitch,are brilliant even the slower track are good i have been lisening to Killing Joke for years they certainly improve with age they are truely AWESOME......

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

MMXII
MMXII by Killing Joke (Audio CD - 2012)