on 19 September 2012
I wanted to find books to recommed to my students of Spanish and this looked interesting. what a disappointment! this book is full of basic errors in agreements and tenses, and that's only in the first two pages. I couldn't read anymore, will continue looking...
on 7 December 2012
There are thousands of books at various levels for learners of English as a Second, Foreign or Additional Language. There are not so many in Spanish so this one is welcome. I would probably not read it in English - cliched plot, stereotype characters, unremarkable dialogue - but as a means of learning and practising another language it serves its purpose well enough. The availability of a Spanish Dictionary on Kindle is a plus but the words the author chooses to explain in brackets are strangely chosen - at this level "puente" or "ruidoso" are likely to be known whereas as some other words are not. Also, such explanations imply the learner is English which is a bit insulting to French, Scandinavian, Arabi, Oriental learners etc
BE WARNED ALSO that you are expected to buy the sequel! I'm not sure that part one is enthralling enough to drive me to do this. But then again, I may, so it is not a bad gamble for the author.
It would be good to have more Spanish readers at Elementary and Pre-Intermediate levels. Once you can understand THIS you can also deal with the early Harry Potter books or an Agatha CHristie which also make good learning tools in a target language.
on 21 July 2012
This is an excellent way of improving a foreign language, as it starts off in the present tense and slowly introduces other tenses and changes the subject of the verb as well.
on 5 May 2012
The book is very easy to read, I would say it's easy/intermediate not just intermediate. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book coming out as this is only the first half of the story, and I want to know what happens. I speak and read spanish fairly fluently so maybe I picked a book that was too easy to start with, but as my kindle was new to me I didn't want anything too consuming as my first 'read'.
on 6 June 2012
this book is about my level. Why such a dull story. I got bored with it and I didn't care for the characters or the world they inhabited. The best reading books for Spanish learners have been (IMO) the Pepe Rey detective series. Funny and good background.
This book lacks humour and warmth and I was glad to get it over with. I don't feel intrigued to find out what happens next.
on 20 February 2013
I have tried to read a few books in Spanishand have struggled. I would say my Spanish is intermediate level. It was nice to be able to read and completely understand as I think the more one reads the more accustomed one will become to the way Spanish is dramatically constructed. However I found the story dull
on 14 April 2015
Excellent for intermediate readers to learn the use of tenses and simple vocabulary. The downside was I found the storyline boring. There is a book 2 in this story.
on 1 March 2013
I liked it because it wasnt too difficult. I was able to follow the story without having to vconsult the dictionary every few words!
E.Cawthorn
on 11 September 2013
excelente y divertido historia para el ensayo por la idioma espanol pero necesito comprar los otros libros en la serie para saber la trama completa
on 30 October 2013
I cant think of any more to say I read half a dozen pages with my dictionary close at hand a, put it down and didn't bother again